Grass Valley Forums Facebook   Twitter   YouTube  

Go Back   Grass Valley Forums > Editors > Editing with EDIUS

Old 03-21-2011, 09:33 AM   #1
zvit

Default Whi is capture splitting files so many times?

You can see in the image my timeline after capturing two cameras. The group on the left is the crane and the group on the right is the shoulder camera.

Both were captured with the same capture settings as seen in the capture settings window in the image.

As you can see, the shoulder is fine. There are only a few cuts during the wedding and most of the clips are long. But with the crane, Edius has split it into hundreds of files. When I play on the cuts, it plays seamlessly. There is no change in timecode or aspect ratio and even after I sync the cameras, there is no break in the sync at those cuts, which makes me wonder why Edius decided to break the capture to so many files with only the crane??
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 004.JPG (176.9 KB, 17 views)
Gigabyte Z77X-UP4 TH, Intel Core i7 3770k 3.5GHz, 4 Core, 8 Threads, 32GB RAM, NVIDIA GeForce GTX 660 2GB, 500GB SSD HDD for OS, 20 Gigabytes Usable Hard Drive Capacity, Window 10 PRO 64-bit Edius 9.5 WORKSTATION...
zvit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2011, 09:42 AM   #2
Bluetongue

You have one of 2 problems
1: Your tape has many drop outs, probably sony
2: you have a faulty firewire cable, replace it and re capture may help

The other option is to disable the other splitting options so Edius captures the whole tape without splitting

Try changing the camera you capture from or clean the heads as another precaution

Regards Barry

https://vimeo.com/user2157719/videos
Laptop ASUS G752VT-GC060T Win 10HP, Edius WG8.53 Samsung M2 SSD 256G+1Tb HD,
Bluetongue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2011, 09:51 AM   #3
zvit

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluetongue View Post
You have one of 2 problems
1: Your tape has many drop outs, probably sony
Can you please explain about a dropout you mean? As far as I know, when frames are dropped, you can see a jump in the picture at timeline playback or it skips a few frames. But when I play it on the timeline, there are no skipped or pixelated frames, and like I said, it doesn't even lose sync with the other camera throughout the entire event. (Yes, it is Sony but both cameras used Sony tapes)

Quote:
2: you have a faulty firewire cable, replace it and re capture may help
If that's the case, why did it capture the Shoulder camera ok? I captured both of them with the same wires one after another.

Quote:
The other option is to disable the other splitting options so Edius captures the whole tape without splitting
I need the capture to cut when the cameraman cuts. Like in the Shoulder camera that came out fine.

Quote:
Try changing the camera you capture from or clean the heads as another precaution
I don't capture from a deck but from a camera. Panasonic AG-DVG200. I captured both the crane and the shoulder from it. If the head wasn't clean (which it is because we clean it every week) why would the shoulder capture fine and only the crane got so many splits?
Gigabyte Z77X-UP4 TH, Intel Core i7 3770k 3.5GHz, 4 Core, 8 Threads, 32GB RAM, NVIDIA GeForce GTX 660 2GB, 500GB SSD HDD for OS, 20 Gigabytes Usable Hard Drive Capacity, Window 10 PRO 64-bit Edius 9.5 WORKSTATION...
Old 03-21-2011, 10:03 AM   #4
Bluetongue

Quote:
Originally Posted by zvit View Post
Can you please explain about a dropout you mean?

If that's the case, why did it capture the Shoulder camera ok? I captured
I don't capture from a deck but from a camera. Panasonic AG-DVG200. I captured both the crane and the shoulder from it. If the head wasn't clean (which it is because we clean it every week) why would the shoulder capture fine and only the crane got so many splits?
1: Depending on the tape the video can be intact BUT the time code can be corrupt which is recorded in another syncronised area of the tape

2: the fact you did not capture from the ORIGINAL camera also adds to the problem, you need to make sure the cameras are compatible, all it needs is a slight difference in the alignment of the heads and you are in trouble
Are they the same brand? It could even be the problem camera has head problems?

I have had problems with a cable where one capture was OK the next faulty changing the cable cured all, seemed strange to me but that is now one of the first things I look at.

Regards Barry

https://vimeo.com/user2157719/videos
Laptop ASUS G752VT-GC060T Win 10HP, Edius WG8.53 Samsung M2 SSD 256G+1Tb HD,
Bluetongue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2011, 10:13 AM   #5
zvit

The camera is the original one that the shoulder recorded from. The crane was recorded from a different camera but the exact same brand and model.

So it seems it's a recording issue and not Edius.
Old 03-21-2011, 11:21 AM   #6
antonsvideo

Quote:
Originally Posted by zvit View Post

I need the capture to cut when the cameraman cuts.

in that case, your divide settings are wrong, only the bottom divide option needs to be ticked, untick the first one

also, if using Win7, be sure you use the legacy firewire drivers

EDIUS 9 WG with Matrox MXO2, Asrock X99 Extreme 6, Intel Core i7 5960X Extreme Haswell-E 8-Core, Corsair Water Cooling, Nvidia Geforce GTX-980, Samsung 860 Pro SSD for System, 8TB Samsung Raid0 SSD for Video, 3 Pioneer BDR-209 Blu-ray/DVD burners, Hotswap Bay for 3.5" Sata and 2.5" SSD, Fractal Design Arc XL Tower, 32GB DDR4 Ram, Win7 Pro
antonsvideo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2011, 11:47 AM   #7
SoundFreak
Banned

When was the last time you cleaned the video heads ?
You can only use a cleaning tape to clean a couple of times, then it needs proper cleaning :)
SoundFreak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2011, 11:57 AM   #8
zvit

The company I work for has been in the filming business for 30 years. They have all the proper cleaning equipment so I doubt it's a dirty head problem.
Old 03-21-2011, 12:07 PM   #9
SoundFreak
Banned

I do understand that when you are in the video business and still use tape, you must have cleaning equipent / tools.
My point was, has it been used recently ?
I regularly clean my video heads but recently had bough a batch of very "oily" Sony tapes, they clogged up the head way faster than normal and it gave me some bad recordings through my last shoot.

Have you tried to playout the "problem tape" from another deck, to confirm a good or potential bad recording ?
SoundFreak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2011, 01:00 PM   #10
zvit

I am not capturing from work but from home (hence the reason I'm capturing from the camera... at work we have a deck) so I can't check it now. But what you're saying makes sense. The camera is used every day since we film 3 - 4 weddings a day. It is always cleaned and serviced at professional places. I'm not in charge of that so I can't tell you exactly when and how but I know that the people that are in charge of the equipment do a good job.

Go Back   Grass Valley Forums > Editors > Editing with EDIUS