Grass Valley Forums Facebook   Twitter   YouTube  

Go Back   Grass Valley Forums > Editors > Editing with EDIUS

Old 05-03-2010, 05:06 PM   #1
tingsern

Default No sound from NX card when played back on Timeline

I have been puzzling about this problem for the past couple of days.

I have a Creative X-Fi2 USB sound box. On the motherboard, there is also an AC97 sound chip.

My NX 'internal' audio cable is connected to the motherboard's AC97 sound port.

To connect the sound from the NX card to the Creative X-Fi2 USB Box, I use the external port on the NX - running the wire from the audio out of the NX card into the Line-In of the X-Fi2.

I tapped the sound from the X-Fi2 audio out into my Genelec speakers.

Previously, when I was playing the video from EDIUS timeline, the sound appears on my Genelec speakers - going from NX audio out to the X-Fi2 USB Line-In, then going out to via X-Fi2 Audio out. All okay.

That's was before I had this S-video problem with my SVHS player.

After doing lots of testing with the S-Video on SVHS player, I found the S-Video port blown on the player - and now, I am using the composite signal to acquire the video from my SVHS player ... one problem gone.

NOW - I have a funny problem -

a) When I played the video using EDIUS from timeline with the speakers connected to the X-Fi2 audio out, there is NO sound.

b) When I switched the speaker cables to my AC97 audio out, there is sound.

I have changed the audio cable connecting the NX card's audio out to the X-Fi2 Line-in. Same problem. No sound - so, it can't be audio cable problem.

I swapped the X-Fi2 USB set (I have two) with the one used for my Notebook - same problem.

So - I have eliminated the following problems -

a) X-Fi2 sound box problem.
b) External Audio cable problem.

Because there is sound if I connect the speakers to the AC97 audio out, the NX card's audio is also fine.

So, what's else is there to test? I am puzzled. Thanks.
Edius 9.4 Pro, Lenovo P72 workstation laptop, 64GB RAM, Xeon CPU, Windows 10 Pro (64 bits), 2 x 2TB Samsung M2.NVME and 1 x 4TB Samsung SSD internal. Panasonic UX180 camera, Blackmagic 4K Pocket Cinema, Blackmagic Pocket Cinema
tingsern is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2010, 05:43 PM   #2
Paranova Films

ok... so i guess you have no an external audio mixer... i really thing you must (if you haven't) have to check the settings of the audio mixer properties of your device, maybe "LINE IN MUTED" or something like that...

have you ever tried a Norton Ghost?

hope it helps

GODZILLA WINDOWS 10 PRO 64BIT 32 Gb RAM, 4 INTEL CORE i7 3,30 Ghz, RAID 12 Tb HDD, NVIDIA GForce GTX980i, EDIUS 8 Workgroup with Blackmagic DeckLink 4K Extreme, ADOBE PRODUCTION STUDIO CS3, COREL MOVIE FACTORY 7

http://www.paranovafilms.com/
http://www.youtube.com/user/paranovafilmsLTDA
Paranova Films is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2010, 06:32 PM   #3
tingsern

I don't have an external audio mixer hooked up to my video editing workstation. It is just a direct connection between my Genelec speakers and the audio ports on my PC - either AC97 (on motherboard) or the Creative X-Fi2 USB Audio box.

What has Norton Ghost got to do with this problem? I don't use Ghost - I use Acronis True Image.

"Line In Muted" - I thought that could be a problem as well. But, I hunted through Vista's Sound Control Panel - and failed to see an option there.
Edius 9.4 Pro, Lenovo P72 workstation laptop, 64GB RAM, Xeon CPU, Windows 10 Pro (64 bits), 2 x 2TB Samsung M2.NVME and 1 x 4TB Samsung SSD internal. Panasonic UX180 camera, Blackmagic 4K Pocket Cinema, Blackmagic Pocket Cinema
Old 05-03-2010, 07:21 PM   #4
Paranova Films

Quote:
Originally Posted by tingsern View Post
I don't have an external audio mixer hooked up to my video editing workstation. It is just a direct connection between my Genelec speakers and the audio ports on my PC - either AC97 (on motherboard) or the Creative X-Fi2 USB Audio box.

What has Norton Ghost got to do with this problem? I don't use Ghost - I use Acronis True Image.

"Line In Muted" - I thought that could be a problem as well. But, I hunted through Vista's Sound Control Panel - and failed to see an option there.

okidoki...
audio mixer: my choice... of course your choice is not bad at all... i just have a question: the X-fi2 has a driver or software to install and get properties inseide windows?

i said norton (or acronis in your case) to recover the system to a preview state and see if there were a setting making this

unfortunatelly i use XP64 and can not see if vista's sound control panel is the same, but i thing you can seek for another app for your X-f12 under control panel

GODZILLA WINDOWS 10 PRO 64BIT 32 Gb RAM, 4 INTEL CORE i7 3,30 Ghz, RAID 12 Tb HDD, NVIDIA GForce GTX980i, EDIUS 8 Workgroup with Blackmagic DeckLink 4K Extreme, ADOBE PRODUCTION STUDIO CS3, COREL MOVIE FACTORY 7

Old 05-04-2010, 04:38 AM   #5
tingsern

I have already dug through Windows control panel's SOUND - all are okay (as far as software settings go).

I think I have to physically verify that the NX card's EXTERNAL audio OUT is giving any sound - I will plug in a headphone and listen ... if no sound, that will be the problem - and a BIG headache.

I am not certain if Canopus can still service the older NX card (PCI-X) version ....
Old 05-04-2010, 05:12 PM   #6
tingsern

I think Jose might be right after all. I plugged my headphones into the Canopus NX Card External Audio out - and I can hear the sounds when played back from timeline. This eliminates the Canopus card as a source of problem.

It all points to the Creative's X-Fi2 Line In now. I am now reinstalling the Creative drivers for the hardware ... and test.
Old 05-04-2010, 05:41 PM   #7
tingsern

Yahoooo ..... Problem Fixed. Somehow, the Creative device driver got corrupted - don't know how it happened. I uninstallled the software and reinstalled it. Now it works :-).
Old 05-04-2010, 06:02 PM   #8
Paranova Films

good for you!! :)

Old 05-04-2010, 06:08 PM   #9
tingsern

I would not have suspected a corrupted device driver ... thought it was hardware or audio cable problem.
Old 05-04-2010, 06:54 PM   #10
Paranova Films

that's why i told you about restoring the system

Go Back   Grass Valley Forums > Editors > Editing with EDIUS