Grass Valley Forums Facebook   Twitter   YouTube  

Go Back   Grass Valley Forums > Converters > ADVC

Old 01-16-2009, 10:39 AM   #1
davyddm

Default ADVC-110 and ACEDVio working together

Dear everybody.
I have my system set up with an ADVC-110 and ACEDVio. Don't ask, i just ended up with both of them. Having both of them i figured i'd use the ACEDVio as monitor output in premiere (works great) and the ADVC110 as input whenever i needed material from my s-vhs deck.
Last but not least : There are two more firewire connectors on the system, one on a soundblaster and one on the motherboard, both OHCI.
After a while i got the capturing from my vx2000 working on the ACEDVio (the switching is a bit hard) BUT.
I am not able to capture from any of the other firewire connector, not via the ACEDVio (s-vhs) and not with a direct cable to the vx2000. Adobe premiere only uses the ACEDVio firewire for some reason. There is only one option in the device control. Before i inserted the ACEDVio i could capture via any of the firewire connectors.
Is this supposed to be, am i missing something, or do i need to set up something.
Many thx in advance.
David
davyddm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2009, 07:41 PM   #2
GrassValley_BH
Demystifier/Analogizer

Working with more than one DV device on the Firewire bus is tricky at best. The intent/assumption by the standard is that there's only one DV device present.

Some software can capture from multiple DV sources, but most just work with one source at a time, and I haven't seen anything mainstream that can capture from one DV device and output to another simultaneously.
GrassValley_BH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2009, 12:38 AM   #3
davyddm

Thx for the quick reply...
They don't have to work simultaneously, as long as i use them both...
But the ACEDVio seems to "disable" all the other DV sources.
I read on some posts that i would need an second firewire bus. Maybe these
ACEDVio and the soundblaster install all on the same bus and the ACEDVio is the only one working.
Any experience with this?
Grtz

Quote:
Originally Posted by GrassValley_BH View Post
Working with more than one DV device on the Firewire bus is tricky at best. The intent/assumption by the standard is that there's only one DV device present.

Some software can capture from multiple DV sources, but most just work with one source at a time, and I haven't seen anything mainstream that can capture from one DV device and output to another simultaneously.
Old 01-17-2009, 12:53 AM   #4
GrassValley_BH
Demystifier/Analogizer

Each controller is a separate bus, but the DV capture software must individually address a particular DV device in order to use more than one on the bus. Most don't and just "broadcast" the data on the bus, and whichever device "grabs" it does whatever.

Oh yeah, and if you daisy-chain multiple DV devices, it gets worse because the first one that "grabs" it usually will "eat" it, and that data doesn't go downstream. For example, hitting Play might start playing on the first device, and the second device in the chain never gets the command.
Old 01-17-2009, 12:58 AM   #5
GrassValley_BH
Demystifier/Analogizer

For your purposes, since you don't need both devices to be operating simultaneously, I recommend getting a 1394 switchbox (aka Firewire switchbox) like this one:
http://www.datavideo.info/en/products/vp332.shtm

It's the same and disconnecting one device and connecting the other, but it'll be less wear-and-tear on the connectors in the long run, and that' s a good thing. Depends how often you change devices, I guess.

The other alternative would be to connect one device to one controller, and the other to the other controller, then disable the controller with the device you're not going to use from Device Manager, but if you ask me, that's even more hassle than unplugging and replugging.
Old 01-17-2009, 02:11 AM   #6
davyddm

Thx again for the absolute clear explanation!!!
I will figure out what i am going to do.
The datavideo switcher look very fine, and there is a reseller close from where i live. And i hate pulling cables, already had my old vx1000 connector broken with that.

Thx again..
David

Quote:
Originally Posted by GrassValley_BH View Post
For your purposes, since you don't need both devices to be operating simultaneously, I recommend getting a 1394 switchbox (aka Firewire switchbox) like this one:
http://www.datavideo.info/en/products/vp332.shtm

It's the same and disconnecting one device and connecting the other, but it'll be less wear-and-tear on the connectors in the long run, and that' s a good thing. Depends how often you change devices, I guess.

The other alternative would be to connect one device to one controller, and the other to the other controller, then disable the controller with the device you're not going to use from Device Manager, but if you ask me, that's even more hassle than unplugging and replugging.

Go Back   Grass Valley Forums > Converters > ADVC