Grass Valley Forums Facebook   Twitter   YouTube  

Go Back   Grass Valley Forums > Editors > Editing with EDIUS

Old 01-21-2020, 11:13 PM   #1
Tobe

Default Closed Captions workflow?

Can someone with experience using EDIUS to add close captions suggest the best workflow to accomplish this? Looking ahead to a 90 minute documentary being completed this summer and will need to prepare it for distribution including closed captions. Is there a best way to proceed? Do I need .scc files or is there a better option for EDIUS? Someone suggested using rev.com to get the needed files to add.
Thanks in advance.

i7 8700K @ 3.70 Ghz/16 gb RAM
windows 10
284 gb SSD boot drive
1 TB work disc
2TB storage disc
EDIUS 9.31
Many external project hard drives
Tobe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2020, 04:03 AM   #2
BernH

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tobe View Post
Can someone with experience using EDIUS to add close captions suggest the best workflow to accomplish this? Looking ahead to a 90 minute documentary being completed this summer and will need to prepare it for distribution including closed captions. Is there a best way to proceed? Do I need .scc files or is there a better option for EDIUS? Someone suggested using rev.com to get the needed files to add.
Thanks in advance.
Edius can use .scc files. Closed captions are based on NTSC 29.97/59.94 framerates, so project and captions need to be at that framerate.

Basic workflow would be to give a finished low res 59.94 guide to your captionist to work with (if you have a transcript, he/she will appreciate a copy of that too), he/she gives you back an .scc file that you bring into edius and link to a high res master file which is then exported as a captioned master file.

I have used Mac Caption, Caption Maker and Subtitle Edit to make .scc caption files. Any of them will work to produce an .scc file if you are doing it yourself, but Subtitle Edit is the only free solution.

If you are mastering in a different framerate, it will need to be converted to 59.94 for closed captions to work. Anything not at 59.94 is considered subtitles or teletext.
Edius WG 9.51.5619, various 3rd party plugins, VisTitle 2.8.0.5, Win 7 Ultimate SP1, i7-4790K @ 4GHz with HD4600 GPU embedded, MSI Z97 Gaming 7 Motherboard, 32GB Kingston HyperX RAM, nVidia GTX680 4GB GPU, Matrox MX02 Mini MAX, Corsair 750W PSU, Corsair H110i GT Water Cooler, Corsair C70 case, 4TB Internal RAID 0/stripe (2x2TB Seagate SATAIII HDD's, Win7 Software RAID 0/stripe), 1TB Crucial MX500 SSD, Pioneer BDR-207D, Dual 1920x1080 monitors (one on GTX680 and one on Intel HD4600).
BernH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2020, 09:41 AM   #3
ulyssesvideo

and what if your using the PAL system?
ulyssesvideo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2020, 04:14 PM   #4
BernH

Quote:
Originally Posted by ulyssesvideo View Post
As I said above, anything not at 59.94 is considered subtitles or teletext.

Technically, PAL does not use closed captions. It uses teletext or a variant there of, which is closer, technically speaking, to subtitles than it is to closed captions.

Closed captions are an NTSC specific thing that encodes the captions as a set if visible white flashing segments on line 21 of an SD video signal (EIA-608) or as a data stream in HD DTV (EIA/CEA-708). Characters are transmitted at a rate of one character per video field or 2 per frame if you prefer, so the caption line to be displayed actually starts transmitting a sufficient number of fields before display. Closed captions are embedded into the video file, while I believe teletext and it's variations are delivered as a sidecar file/data stream. Someone more familiar with he teletext system can correct me if I am wrong.

More general information on the differences can be found here:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Closed_captioning

I don't have any experience delivering to a PAL/European/Australian based broadcaster in terms of guidelines for the actual subtitle visual format, but when we have delivered to European distributors, we were asked for our captions to be sent as either .srt or EBU .stl formats. I don't know if the distributors did any further manipulation on these files.
Edius WG 9.51.5619, various 3rd party plugins, VisTitle 2.8.0.5, Win 7 Ultimate SP1, i7-4790K @ 4GHz with HD4600 GPU embedded, MSI Z97 Gaming 7 Motherboard, 32GB Kingston HyperX RAM, nVidia GTX680 4GB GPU, Matrox MX02 Mini MAX, Corsair 750W PSU, Corsair H110i GT Water Cooler, Corsair C70 case, 4TB Internal RAID 0/stripe (2x2TB Seagate SATAIII HDD's, Win7 Software RAID 0/stripe), 1TB Crucial MX500 SSD, Pioneer BDR-207D, Dual 1920x1080 monitors (one on GTX680 and one on Intel HD4600).

Last edited by BernH; 01-22-2020 at 04:32 PM.
Old 01-22-2020, 04:54 PM   #5
Tobe

Thank you for the clear explanation. The only thing I need to still understand is how the closed captioned (scc) file gets "linked" to the master edit? Is it simply put on a vacant video track? And then if it's exported as Pro-Res (for example) will it be automatically embedded as part of the new master?

windows 10
284 gb SSD boot drive
1 TB work disc
2TB storage disc
EDIUS 9.31
Old 01-22-2020, 08:47 PM   #6
BernH

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tobe View Post
Thank you for the clear explanation. The only thing I need to still understand is how the closed captioned (scc) file gets "linked" to the master edit? Is it simply put on a vacant video track? And then if it's exported as Pro-Res (for example) will it be automatically embedded as part of the new master?
You bring the .scc file into the bin, select it and your master output file, right click and select "Set as clip with captions" from the popup menu.

Then you place this clip on a timeline and export.

I don't know if Edius will embed this correctly in a ProRes file, as I have never tried ProRes as an export, but it will embed into a standard MXF op1a broadcast file. (captions are a broadcast thing)

If you need to deliver captions with a ProRes a prores file, you may need to use something like MacCaption to embed it and/or deliver it as a .scc sidecar file also.

More info is available in the manual/help.
https://wwwapps.grassvalley.com/manu...html#gsc.tab=0

Using a video track would be the way to approach burned in subtitles, but not closed captions as they are a data stream that a the caption decoder in the TV or STB is meant to decode and display when you turn them on.

***Edit***
I should have also noted that your master video and .scc file should have co-incident timecodes. (everything at the same framerate and starting timecode). Call it me being extra cautious or not, but I do like to put a 1 frame blank caption at the first frame of my master video, just as a safety to make sure the timing starts at the same place. I do prefer the way Media composer handles captions, as it is a visible data track on the timeline so you can make sure the video and captions line up and if required cut, splice, and move the caption data track if required, but it's one of only two or three things that I think it does better than Edius.

Last edited by BernH; 01-22-2020 at 11:01 PM.
Old 01-23-2020, 12:22 PM   #7
Captain

Quote:
Originally Posted by ulyssesvideo View Post
You might be forced to use separate software then. Lately, I successfully added closed captions to a 25p mp4 video via an srt file in Handbrake. Obviously you are limited to the file types that software can produce. Since I needed an mp4 anyway, it was perfect. If I had been told to deliver ProRes or something, I might have been screwed.
Intel Core i7-7820X ---- Noctua NH-D15S ---- MSI X299 GAMING M7 ACK ---- 64GB RAM 2666-15 Corsair Dominator Platinum ---- 500GB Samsung 960 EVO M.2 (system SSD) ---- 512GB Samsung 960 PRO M.2 (data SSD) ---- Aorus Nvidia GTX 1080 Ti ---- be quiet! SILENT BASE 600 Case ---- be quiet! Dark P. Pro P11 850W ---- Win10 Pro ---- Edius WG 8.53.2808
Captain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2020, 05:54 PM   #8
BernH

Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain View Post
You might be forced to use separate software then. Lately, I successfully added closed captions to a 25p mp4 video via an srt file in Handbrake. Obviously you are limited to the file types that software can produce. Since I needed an mp4 anyway, it was perfect. If I had been told to deliver ProRes or something, I might have been screwed.
Agreed.

If you are looking for hard coded subtitles, Edius can do it using quick title, vistitle, etc., but in this regard the subtitles are burned into the video.

Subtitles that can be turned on/off require something like Mac Caption (not free) as a one stop solution or a combination of something like Subtitle Edit (free) to produce an .srt file and then something like either Handbrake (free) or Xmedia Recode (free) to embed the srt in the video file.

Handbrake will only make MP4 or MKV files, but Xmedia Recode can make just about any format you need. Both of these use ffmpeg under the hood, but Xmedia Recode exposes a lot more of the ffmpeg options to you.
Old 01-23-2020, 06:09 PM   #9
Tobe

Thank you all It's an education!!

windows 10
284 gb SSD boot drive
1 TB work disc
2TB storage disc
EDIUS 9.31
Old 01-23-2020, 06:33 PM   #10
trillium

I recently used subtitle edit to create open caption files in Edius 9.4. Initially the program did not work correctly in NTSC but after contacting the author and describing the problem I was having in Edius he tweaked the program and I imported it as and FCP_xml as described by others on the forum here.

The program was first written for PAL and he had to tweak it for NTSC users. It took a little practice learning the interface but it's pretty easy- making the correct export setting for the project is key so play close attention to that. Don't wait to the last minute to learn the software. Create a couple of small practice projects and work with those to learn the software.

I believe creating a closed caption file is just a matter of selecting the correct type of file export type. I used an exported full res mp4 1080 from Edius for the source file but you can use lower res if needed.
Nvida 1060 OVC, CPU i7-8700 3.7GH
Edius 9.4
trillium is offline   Reply With Quote

Go Back   Grass Valley Forums > Editors > Editing with EDIUS