Grass Valley Forums Facebook   Twitter   YouTube  

Go Back   Grass Valley Forums > Converters > ADVC

Old 05-12-2012, 03:23 PM   #1
jjccl

Default What now for color correction

Hi all. A friend wants to buy an ADVC. I told him about my model 300 and gave him the canopus name.

I've had mine so long I didn't realize Canopus, (or Grass Valley) isn't making it anymore ?????????

So, the 110 can't sharpen image, change hue or saturation, what is the option rather than buying something he already knows is no longer made? ( I mean of course, option without spending 2 zillion dollars)

I did see the ACEDVio card, but an external device is far preferred. Should another option not be available, I'd like to follow up with a few questions on this device.

1. is it like the 300?

2. Does it include software like Picture Controller?

3. Does it output a dv-avi file?

4. Other than running power all the time, are there any downsides to this internal option?

5. I looked at this card on Newegg, it says PCI interface. Can you even get a motherboard with an old PCI interface? or are the PCI-E interfaces backward compatable.

6. Why is everything always a pain ..... LOL

thanks again.
joe

thanks

Last edited by jjccl; 05-12-2012 at 03:34 PM.
jjccl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2012, 04:53 PM   #2
Rusty

If you need to save some money, I'd look on eBay for used gear. Low price and low risk.

Expect to make corrections in post.

Everything has been, is, and always will be a pain!

An inglorious peace is better than a dishonorable war.
Twain - "Glances at History" 1906
Rusty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2012, 01:17 AM   #3
jjccl

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rusty View Post
If you need to save some money, I'd look on eBay for used gear. Low price and low risk.

Expect to make corrections in post.

Everything has been, is, and always will be a pain!

Thanks for your reply. In the 200 to 600 dollar range it isn't so much about the money. If we're talking 1000 or more ... that's different and that's what I mean.

I'm still curious about this card, other offerings from Canopus, offerings that users may know of similar to the 300 from other mfg. as well as answers to any of the other questions I posted.

Yeah, I suppose you're right everything is always a pain.
Old 05-13-2012, 12:43 PM   #4
dpalomaki

What is your target price for a capture device and what features does he find essential?

As analog recording fades further into the past, the support devices will be fewer and more often on the used market at bargain prices - until they become collectable museum pieces.

Perhaps some combination such as a TBC with an ADVC110 will serve.
dpalomaki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2012, 05:15 PM   #5
GrassValley_BH
Demystifier/Analogizer

I agree with the off-board solution. Either a standalone TBC with color correction functionality or a standalone color corrector.

It'll give you more options price and feature-wise, and also you can "take it with you."

Of course the downside is that it's yet another piece of equipment.
GrassValley_BH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2012, 02:08 AM   #6
jjccl

Thanks all for your replies. I use my 300 daily, practically without any issue, but, what I do is VHS to DVD. I'm really not up on all the technical hardware.

I wouldn't know where to look for a TBC or a color corrector, or honestly what the difference is in what they can do.

I wonder, could you please elaborate and perhaps point me to some specific items that would work along with the ADVC 110 to do the things the 300 can do.

thank you
joe
Old 05-16-2012, 02:26 PM   #7
dpalomaki

http://www.signvideo.com/single_dual...-processor.htm (if it is still avaailable for one). You may find some on e-bay, and you may find some ADVC300 (if your friend likes it).

A TBC (time base corrector) is used to clean up the sync ona video signal to ensure a stable display (reduce image rips, tears, flagging, rolling, etc.). Simple TBC may be on video line ata time only, the better do a frame at a time. SOme of the better VCRs had a built-in TBC so adding an external TBC may not be necessary.

Proc Amp (processign amplifier) is used to adjust brightness, contrast, color, and tint (and often some other image fine adjustments) and may include sharpness and noise reduction as well. These are usually included in NLE software, so an external proc amp may not necessary for these adjustments, although iot can be a time saver for making fixed adjustmetns on long captures from analog soruces such as a VCR.

The PRNC AMP and TBC are often combined into one unit. Search and you should find many options, including some additional suggested products in the forums here.

However, what your friend ultimately needs will depend on what his is doing now, plans to do in the foreseeable future, what gear he already hs, and his budget.

My first choice might be to look for a used ADVC300 if it meets his requirements and you are happy with yours. You can be his tutor on using it, and earn a beer or two!
Old 05-16-2012, 06:22 PM   #8
GrassValley_BH
Demystifier/Analogizer

To add, for analog sources especially, you have more flexibility in processing within the analog space, before the digitization.

Once clipping occurs (the input is beyond the digitally-representable range) that difference is gone and nothing you do in the digital space will bring it back.

Now for a semi-odd analogy...

Imagine at a bar, you might have two "12-ounce" glasses, but one will hold exactly 12 ounces when completely-filled, while the other one, affectionately called "Big Boy" holds 13.1 ounces.

Now your buddy is setting up a new "sister" bar, and they've asked you to help generate a shopping list with their supply vendor to get them started.

So you enter the supply list (digitize) and on the list you specify "Two 12-ounce glasses" because that's the only option.

The subtle difference between the standard 12-ounce glass and the "Big Boy" glass is lost to the supply list because its exact capacity is beyond what can be represented in the supply list. The difference has been clipped, and has been lost.
GrassValley_BH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2012, 07:26 PM   #9
dpalomaki

Quote:
Once clipping occurs (the input is beyond the digitally-representable range) that difference is gone and nothing you do in the digital space will bring it back.
An excellent point. The proc amp allows one to adjust the analog signal to make maximum used of the available digital (e.g., 8-bit) space. It allows one to avoid the banding that can happen when digitally amplifying a weak signal, and the hard clipping (loss of highlight detail) that can happen to a too-hot signal. These are not all that unusual situations with analog video signals, especially when impedance mismatches arise in improvised cabling lash-ups.

A good TBC and proc amp are a valuable tool for anyone doing a lot of digitizing of analog video from uncontrolled sources.

Go Back   Grass Valley Forums > Converters > ADVC