Grass Valley Forums Facebook   Twitter   YouTube  

Go Back   Grass Valley Forums > Editors > EDIUS: Compatible Third Party Products

Old 02-18-2012, 04:41 PM   #1
advisiontv

Default Blackmagic UltraStudio SDI - no audio on capture

I've recently purchased a Blackmagic UltraStudio SDI and its been set up to successfully capture via SDI to my HQ codec and works!
I know this isn't really supported, but wondered if it anyone else has this set up and has the same limitations - no audio on capture.
I'm aware of the limitations of the Intensity series which is no deck control or timecode, which is the same for the Ultrastudio.
Will this ever be supported in the future?

I've also noticed a strange speed change - sometimes when playing off the timeline it seems to speed up to about 110%. I havn't looked at this in detail to see if its the playback, or if the capture slowed down, resulting in the same effect! Anyone else had this?
Matt
advisiontv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2012, 05:27 PM   #2
Jerry

I use the Intensity Pro to capture. Make sure you have chosen the correct audio path and such. Also, test capture into Media Express and see if you get audio to record by that method. The files captured in Media Express will work quite well in Edius.
Give it a try and see if you get audio. If you do, make sure your preset settings are correct for the audio capture. The settings in the control panel are very important as to telling the device what to do.
If you own the Tutorials and you need help, PM me.

Vistitle YouTube Channel
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCMVlxC8Am4qFbkXJRoPAnMQ/videos

Windows 10 Pro up to v.1803 Tweaks for Edius Users
http://sgdvtutorials.com/WIN%2010%20...%20V.2.0.0.pdf

Main System: Azrock Z97 Extreme 6, 4790K@4.7Ghz, 32gb ram, Corsair H110, Win10 Pro 64, Samsung 850 pro, E7.5/8.5/E9 on separate SSD drives, HD Spark, Intensity Shuttle, 12tb RAID 0 on backplane ,2 BD, Benq 27 and Hanns-G 28 monitors, CC 2019, GTX 1080ti SC Black.
Both systems on Gigabit network
Second System: EditHD Ultimax-i7, X58, 980x@3.74, Corsair H80, Win764, 24gb ram, Storm 3g, Samsung 840 Pro 256, 4tb and 6tb RAID 0 on backplane, GTX 980ti Classified, Edius 9, Apple 30", Samsung 24", dual BD.
Jerry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2012, 05:47 PM   #3
4Kover3D
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by advisiontv View Post
I've recently purchased a Blackmagic UltraStudio SDI and its been set up to successfully capture via SDI to my HQ codec and works!
I know this isn't really supported, but wondered if it anyone else has this set up and has the same limitations - no audio on capture.
I'm aware of the limitations of the Intensity series which is no deck control or timecode, which is the same for the Ultrastudio.
Will this ever be supported in the future?

I've also noticed a strange speed change - sometimes when playing off the timeline it seems to speed up to about 110%. I havn't looked at this in detail to see if its the playback, or if the capture slowed down, resulting in the same effect! Anyone else had this?
Matt
Check in clip Properties, what fps Edius is reporting.
4Kover3D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2012, 11:54 PM   #4
shueardm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jerry View Post
I use the Intensity Pro to capture. Make sure you have chosen the correct audio path and such. .
That's right, with my Decklink SDI DUO- when setting up a EDIUS device preset, it chooses the wrong audio device by default.
What I mean by that is, once you select the direct show video device you will see the video in the display. This, I found, does not mean the audio device is coming from the same source, you need to also select that separately.

Last edited by shueardm; 02-19-2012 at 12:07 AM.
shueardm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2012, 08:26 PM   #5
advisiontv

I should have probably been a little clearer - it is capturing audio correctly, it's just that I can't monitor it as it goes in. The only way I can is by monitoring the source device, or listening to it via HDMI out of the Blackmagic Box. It would be lovely to hear it coming out of my laptop via Edius to have confidence it is going in!
As far as the speed change is concerned, it's only now and again it speeds up. IE if i was playing a clip on the timeline it would be OK for about 10 mins, and then speed up a little for about 5 seconds! Slightly embarrassing when a client is watching the monitor and their voice changes as if they have been inhaling helium!!
Old 02-19-2012, 10:53 PM   #6
4Kover3D
Banned

Still don't understand your speed problem. Edius does not support BM as monitoring card. BM Media Express reads only few formats- uncompressed, DPX, MJPEG, so you can play eg HQX file.

Do you have speed problem on Edius timeline? Never seen this.
Old 02-19-2012, 11:16 PM   #7
Jerry

As Far as monitoring your audio, I can monitor my audio through the HDMI from both the BM card and the Edius card. I have a HDMI switcher that I use to check both outputs. If it is processiing the audio to my external monitor by way of both switcher inputs, I am really sure that I am getting a recorded signal. I tell the blackmagic settings panel where to send the audio.
If you own the Tutorials and you need help, PM me.

Vistitle YouTube Channel
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCMVlxC8Am4qFbkXJRoPAnMQ/videos

Windows 10 Pro up to v.1803 Tweaks for Edius Users
http://sgdvtutorials.com/WIN%2010%20...%20V.2.0.0.pdf

Main System: Azrock Z97 Extreme 6, 4790K@4.7Ghz, 32gb ram, Corsair H110, Win10 Pro 64, Samsung 850 pro, E7.5/8.5/E9 on separate SSD drives, HD Spark, Intensity Shuttle, 12tb RAID 0 on backplane ,2 BD, Benq 27 and Hanns-G 28 monitors, CC 2019, GTX 1080ti SC Black.
Both systems on Gigabit network
Second System: EditHD Ultimax-i7, X58, 980x@3.74, Corsair H80, Win764, 24gb ram, Storm 3g, Samsung 840 Pro 256, 4tb and 6tb RAID 0 on backplane, GTX 980ti Classified, Edius 9, Apple 30", Samsung 24", dual BD.
Jerry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2012, 11:28 PM   #8
4Kover3D
Banned

Which one has speed problems than?
Old 02-20-2012, 10:05 AM   #9
advisiontv

OK -I'll live with not getting the audio on capture as there is a way around that my monitoring HDMI.

The speed problem is once the file (Canopus HQ) is inside Edius. I can play the hour clip I've just captured on the timeline, and for no reason it would speed up the audio for about 10 seconds before rectifying itself - almost as if the capture rate at that point had dropped down to 24fps from 25.

I was playing around with the settings last night and noticed it drops to 24 for a whole clip if the setting is ticked to determine the frame rate from the audio sampling - but that is for the whole clip and I am having problems with small sections of a clip.

This has only happened to me a few times over the last few days, and I was in front of my client so I couldn't really investigate to see if the actual clip was faulty, or of it was just a playback glitch. I'm doubting it's playback though as I've had no problems ever with this with OHCI captures or MXF transfers etc.
Old 02-20-2012, 10:51 AM   #10
4Kover3D
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by advisiontv View Post
OK -I'll live with not getting the audio on capture as there is a way around that my monitoring HDMI.

The speed problem is once the file (Canopus HQ) is inside Edius. I can play the hour clip I've just captured on the timeline, and for no reason it would speed up the audio for about 10 seconds before rectifying itself - almost as if the capture rate at that point had dropped down to 24fps from 25.

I was playing around with the settings last night and noticed it drops to 24 for a whole clip if the setting is ticked to determine the frame rate from the audio sampling - but that is for the whole clip and I am having problems with small sections of a clip.

This has only happened to me a few times over the last few days, and I was in front of my client so I couldn't really investigate to see if the actual clip was faulty, or of it was just a playback glitch. I'm doubting it's playback though as I've had no problems ever with this with OHCI captures or MXF transfers etc.
Yes- you have typical fps problem on directshow capture.
It may be due to fact that BM card which you use is not officially supported by Edius.

Go Back   Grass Valley Forums > Editors > EDIUS: Compatible Third Party Products