Grass Valley Forums Facebook   Twitter   YouTube  

Go Back   Grass Valley Forums > Editors > Editing with EDIUS

Old 06-12-2018, 12:13 PM   #1
Haddock

Default From 6 to 8 with transfered Proxy(?) files.

I try to help a client who migrates from 6 to 8 on a new computer.

1) We made a copy of his projects (each having his own folder) with all files necessary on external HD and after... copy again all projects and files the files on the HD of the new computer

In both cases the files are on HD that has the same referencies of letter (D:) and exactly the same structure.

2) Opening one of the projects went with success...

Opening another did not work... in fact Edius 8 do not find some files... Opening the link box, I can relink files by a simple indication of the folder... Other files are presented as "Proxyfiles" and I can not relink by folder...

Looking more close, all these files are grouped in a folder under the name "tranfered". This files have very strange complicated name... and seems to be a exact copy of the genuine files (in comparison to the capture folder with simple name coming from the camera.).

So I am lost and here are the questions :

How did my client create these "Proxy files" ? Himself do not remember

Now that some project are done based on these "Proxy" complicated name files, what is the solution to open these E6 projects with Edius8 and relink them by folders ?

Thanks to help

Sorry for my poor english, I am french native speaking

Main System: Azus Z87 Pro, 4770K@3.5Ghz, 16gb ram, Nvidia GeForce GT 630, Windows 7 Pro 64, Samsung 840 pro, Edius 8.52 + NXexpress or HDspark, 3T separate video HD.
Haddock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2018, 12:46 PM   #2
BernH

When files are imported into Edius, there is a check box in the importer to transfer or copy to project folder. The files are copied into that transferred folder you mention, and given the strange names.

I never use that feature because the strange names make it difficult to identify what the files really are or batch relink.

If you change the name of the transferred folder, or move it, you will get the relink offline files dialog on next startup, or run it manually, but I don't know if it will help unless you know what original files actually corresponds to the renamed files, as the file names that the relink relies on are different than the original files. Relinking in this case would be a very manual process.
Edius WG 9.30.3920, Win 7 Ultimate SP1, i7-4790K @ 4GHz with HD4600 GPU embedded, MSI Z97 Gaming 7 Motherboard, 32GB Kingston HyperX RAM, nVidia GTX680 4GB GPU, Matrox MX02 Mini MAX, Corsair 750W PSU, Corsair H110i GT Water Cooler, Corsair C70 case, 4TB Internal RAID 0/stripe (2x2TB Seagate SATAIII HDD's, Win7 Software RAID 0/stripe), 1TB Crucial MX500 SSD, Pioneer BDR-207D, Dual 1920x1080 monitors (one on GTX680 and one on Intel HD4600)
BernH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2018, 12:58 PM   #3
Haddock

Quote:
Originally Posted by BernH View Post
When files are imported into Edius, there is a check box in the importer to transfer or copy to project folder. The files are copied into that transferred folder you mention, and given the strange names.

I never use that feature because the strange names make it difficult to identify what the files really are or batch relink.

If you change the name of the transferred folder, or move it, you will get the relink offline files dialog on next startup, or run it manually, but I don't know if it will help unless you know what original files actually corresponds to the renamed files, as the file names that the relink relies on are different than the original files. Relinking in this case would be a very manual process.
Thank you Bern for these quick and complete answer... I understant now how it has append and that probably relink will be manual....

I contact my client to avoid these procedure of Proxy...

Main System: Azus Z87 Pro, 4770K@3.5Ghz, 16gb ram, Nvidia GeForce GT 630, Windows 7 Pro 64, Samsung 840 pro, Edius 8.52 + NXexpress or HDspark, 3T separate video HD.
Old 06-13-2018, 12:05 PM   #4
David Clarke

Assuming they are EDIUS proxies they cannot be relinked. They get made automatically by going into proxy mode - either on purpose or by accident. EDIUS only used them when in proxy mode so if in normal mode they should come up as missing clips.
Desktop: 2Ghz 12 core Xeon processor, 32GB RAM, nVidia 1060, BM Intensity Pro, Windows 10
David Clarke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2018, 05:12 PM   #5
Haddock

Quote:
Originally Posted by David Clarke View Post
Assuming they are EDIUS proxies they cannot be relinked. They get made automatically by going into proxy mode - either on purpose or by accident. EDIUS only used them when in proxy mode so if in normal mode they should come up as missing clips.
Thank you for this info. I did not know that E6 could make a proxy mode.... and when opening the project with 8, I did not look what "mode" it was.

So it will be probably a manual job to do.

Go Back   Grass Valley Forums > Editors > Editing with EDIUS