Grass Valley Forums Facebook   Twitter   YouTube  

Go Back   Grass Valley Forums > Converters > FIRECODER Blu & Pegasus

Old 09-18-2008, 02:51 AM   #1
Seraphic

Hi,

I have a few questions about this card:
(in regards to HDMI and Sony/Microsft Consoles)

1. Does it capture video as 8-Bit or 10-Bit?
2. Is video captured as 4:2:2 or 4:4:4 color-space?
3. Is the Canopus HQ codec lossy or lessless?
4. Are you able to capture as uncompressed lossless too?
5. For multi-channel audio, will the card accept and record Dolby Pro-Logic II, Dolby Digital, LPCM 5.1, and DTS as 5.1 multichannel audio file?
6. Does the card support wide-screen 480p capture (853x480)?
7. Does the card have an on-board audio chip to insure audio/video capture sync?
8. Are you able to open and edit the captured video/audio file? With with programs like Virtualdub and Adobe Premiere/Audition?
9. Is this the same card as the Japanese HDRECS card?

Already have a few other HD capture cards, but the thing that interested me about this card was that it offers multi-channel audio recording over HDMI. But one thing I would like to know if it allows me to capture uncompressed (already have a 1.7TB raid0 setup) if the Canopus HQ codec is lossy. Don't want any lossy stuff!
Seraphic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2008, 08:36 AM   #2
GrassValley_KH
Mr Sparkle

1. 8-bit
2. 4:2:2
3. Lossy - we have a lossless codec, but it is not supported by this card (software-only codec)
4. Not as yet - bypassing the hardware chip isn't impossible, just that it has not been implemented at this time.
5. It should, provided the datastream is not protected, and complies with HDMI v1.1 (v1.3 is not supported)
6. The full list of supported resolutions is on the product web page (http://desktop.thomsongrassvalley.com/products/Pegasus/)
7. The sync is handled by the Canopus HQ chip. But yes, the audio should be locked.
8. Yes - the software codec for Canopus HQ is fully exposed to applications that support Directshow video codecs. VirtualDub may require an AVISynth script..
9. Yes, it is.

While not outside the realms of possibility, the fact that the board offers HDMI capture without the need for costly/elaborate HDD configurations typically associated with uncompressed HDMI ingest (ie. Intensity), it's unlikely Pegasus will be changed to be an uncompressed capture board.
GrassValley_KH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2008, 10:51 AM   #3
Seraphic

Quote:
Originally Posted by GrassValley_KH View Post
3. Lossy - we have a lossless codec, but it is not supported by this card (software-only codec)
4. Not as yet - bypassing the hardware chip isn't impossible, just that it has not been implemented at this time.
Hi,

Well, how Lossy is it the codec kind of like a Cineform thing?
Also, is the audio that it captures (stereo and multi-channel) lossy too?
(although, looking over the topics here, found a few posts saying the Canopus HQ video codec can cause banding and is not as HQ as Cineform)

You see, I already have an Intensity, as well as two other Japanese HD cards (one for 480p lossless, and the other for scaled 960x1080p lossy). My reason for being interested in the Pegasus is for the multi-channel audio capture and for the 480p since it supports that unlike the Intensity. However, the forced lossy codec kind of kills the deal for me.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GrassValley_KH View Post
While not outside the realms of possibility, the fact that the board offers HDMI capture without the need for costly/elaborate HDD configurations typically associated with uncompressed HDMI ingest (ie. Intensity), it's unlikely Pegasus will be changed to be an uncompressed capture board.
Is there any one I could contact or any way to get a software update that would allow me to bypass the hardware chip and capture lossless YUV/RGB? I already have the hardware to capture uncompressed (up to 12-bit 4:4:4 720p at 60FPS).

Something like this should be offered for those who want it.
I mean, add it to the option menu and let those who want it select it, otherwise use the hardware chip. Know what I mean?

Thanks
Old 09-22-2008, 07:55 PM   #4
GrassValley_BH
Demystifier/Analogizer

Canopus HQ is approximate 5:1 at the normal setting. It's variable bitrate, so quality-wise you're actually better off than something fixed-rate like DV, which is also 5:1.

Bypassing the hardware codec is a driver (and possibly hardware) thing, so I suspect it's not a 5-minute change, otherwise it would have already been in there. Please post a Feature Request in the Feature Request forum.
GrassValley_BH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2008, 02:53 AM   #5
Seraphic

Quote:
Originally Posted by GrassValley_BH View Post
Canopus HQ is approximate 5:1 at the normal setting. It's variable bitrate, so quality-wise you're actually better off than something fixed-rate like DV, which is also 5:1.

Bypassing the hardware codec is a driver (and possibly hardware) thing, so I suspect it's not a 5-minute change, otherwise it would have already been in there. Please post a Feature Request in the Feature Request forum.
Got a reply back from GrassValley Sales (sent the questions a week before posting here, but never heard back until now)

However, he seems to say that the card can't capture multichannel audio?
The hardware specs says it captures multichannel over HDMI,
so what kind of multichannel can it capture then?

Also, searching the forums here resulted in users pointing out that CineForm is more HQ then Canopus HQ Codec.
The reply I got made it seem the other way around.

Quote:
1) Pegasus captures to our 8-bit Canopus HQ codec. This is the ONLY capture format produced by this product.

2) 4:2:2 color space.

3) HQ is a high quality, intra-frame, variable bit-rate codec that truly has no peer and is as lossless as you can get with a lossy codec. We have some technical documents and white papers about the technology, which you can find here: http://desktop.thomsongrassvalley.co...opuscodecs.php

4) No. As mentioned above, Pegasus only captures to compressed files utilizing the Canopus HQ codec.

5) Unfortunately, this hardware does not have that ability. We currently do not make any hardware that accepts Dolby or DTS signals for multi-channel capture and playback.
Old 09-23-2008, 03:03 AM   #6
GrassValley_BH
Demystifier/Analogizer

As the spec page says...
LPCM 2-8ch at 24bit 32/44.1/48kHz

LPCM = Linear PCM ~ uncompressed.

Dolby and DTS isn't supported.
Old 09-23-2008, 04:21 AM   #7
Seraphic

Quote:
As the spec page says...
LPCM 2-8ch at 24bit 32/44.1/48kHz

LPCM = Linear PCM ~ uncompressed.

Dolby and DTS isn't supported.
Ah, I see. So Dolby Pro Logic II would also not be supported then?

Anyway, Xbox 360 does not support LPCM. Playstation 3 does, if I recall correctly.

Also, does the Pegasus store the audio recording in a lossless format or lossy like the video and does the Pegasus support 480p?

Last edited by Seraphic; 09-23-2008 at 10:24 AM.
Old 09-23-2008, 07:58 PM   #8
GrassValley_BH
Demystifier/Analogizer

Dolby ProLogic and ProLogic II should be fine. They're analog formats and the surround information is matrix encoded into the analog signal, resulting in backward-compatibility for stereo, while ProLogic-aware decoders can still decode the surround information.

AFAIK, the audio is stored uncompressed.
Old 09-25-2008, 02:03 PM   #9
Seraphic

Quote:
Dolby ProLogic and ProLogic II should be fine. They're analog formats and the surround information is matrix encoded into the analog signal, resulting in backward-compatibility for stereo, while ProLogic-aware decoders can still decode the surround information.

AFAIK, the audio is stored uncompressed.
Thanks a lot for the the help.

Guess my last question would be if you could confirm that his card supports 480p capture?

Other then that, I made a post to the feature requests about uncompressed capture for this card a good three days ago.
However, it hasn't shown up yet for some reason.

Anyway, again, thanks for the help.

Last edited by Seraphic; 09-25-2008 at 11:04 PM.
Old 09-25-2008, 10:14 PM   #10
GrassValley_BH
Demystifier/Analogizer

Yes, 480p capture is supported.
http://desktop.grassvalley.com/produ...asus/index.php

As for Feature Requests, they need to get approved before you see them - don't worry, they're there, I've just been very busy catching up from IBC and Kenneally's on vacation.

Go Back   Grass Valley Forums > Converters > FIRECODER Blu & Pegasus