Grass Valley Forums Facebook   Twitter   YouTube  

Go Back   Grass Valley Forums > Editors > Editing with EDIUS

Old 10-28-2010, 12:41 AM   #1
Bassman

Default What are the Chances of an x264 Plugin for Edius?

I have been looking very closely at encoding recently and have been basically using free programs which are distributed under a public license like Handbrake and VirtualDub etc...

What is stopping these programs from being a choice inside the Edius exporter for use straight from the timeline?

I just don't understand how public "free" programs can yield such better results than professional programs offer for pay.

Your thoughts would be appreciated.
Bassman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2010, 04:35 AM   #2
Bassman

Thanks for your post Andrew. I hope we can hear more about this from the GV folks as the internet is a huge medium and .mp4 is its main format.
Old 10-28-2010, 05:28 AM   #3
kwshaw1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bassman View Post
I hope we can hear more about this from the GV folks as the internet is a huge medium and .mp4 is its main format.
I could be wrong, but I was under the impression that the most common form of video on the web right now is Flash, followed by WMV and then H.264. The latter is probably gaining ground but it's a pain to render.
Old 10-28-2010, 07:02 AM   #4
Bassman

Flash video is either .flv or .f4v the latter being Adobe's implementation of mpeg-4/h.264 in a Flash wrapper. But as Apple wages battle against Adobe, straight .mp4 is the only common ground and is html 5's main choice for video.

Flash advertisements not video files but .swf files that are not exactly video.

But beyond what is the most popular, Edius does not have solid mpeg-4 for internet use and does not have Flash output at all.

DVD has been there for ages, and we need Blu-ray but I think people are not going head first into Blu-ray as more and more content gets distributed over the internet. Google TV is going to be a big continuation of this trend.

It is such a better workflow to be able to output from the timeline in all of your delivery formats. In My opinion, it is time to add great h.264 encoding for internet use.

I have heard a lot over the years on this forum that Edius is a video editor only, not a swiss army knife. Well in my view, this is what a video editor does. Takes your footage, combines it and outputs it to a chosen delivery format.

I will get off the soapbox now.

Go Back   Grass Valley Forums > Editors > Editing with EDIUS