Grass Valley Forums Facebook   Twitter   YouTube  

Go Back   Grass Valley Forums > Converters > ProCoder

Old 05-10-2007, 12:31 PM   #1
planetweckesser

Default Procoder 3 rendering times

This is a very nice new forum and I don't like making my first post here a somewhat negative one but here goes. I eagerly anticipated the arrival of Procoder 3 - especially the feature of grid encoding since I had nearly 20 hours of video projects (saved as .m2t files) from the last 2 1/2 years to reencode to blu-ray legal files (.m2v - elementary stream). I used settings of 1920 X 1080, VBR, 2 pass, highest quality and was horrifed when a 69 minute video took 9 hours to reencode on a top-of- the-line Guy Graphics workstation (dual core, dual xeon 3.0 with 4 GB RAM and 3 TB video drives in RAID 0 configuration). The exact same file using Sorenson Squeeze v. 4.5 took 4 hours and the quality was quite comparable. Apparently the "grid encoding" only refers to .m2t or .m2p files like the old "Speed Encoder for HDV". Apparently for other files Procoder 3 does not utilize multiple cores as my workstation only showed 25-50% usage while showing 60 - 90% CPU usage with Sorenson. Has anyone else had the same experience?
planetweckesser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2007, 05:35 PM   #2
GrassValley_KH
Mr Sparkle

A couple of things about ProCoder 3:

1. Grid Encoding only supports HDV-1 and HDV-2 profiles for high definition, it does not support Blu-Ray or HD-DVD profiles (those two you need to create yourself, and use the standard MPEG-2 encoder)

2. ProCoder 3's Grid Encoding only encodes MPEG-2. (for HDV- or DVD-compliant video)

I should add here that at this time, ProCoder 3 is not intended, nor endorsed as a Blu-Ray/HD-DVD compatible product. If it was, it would be well advertised all over the product web page.
GrassValley_KH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2007, 07:06 PM   #3
planetweckesser

Quote:
Originally Posted by GrassValley_KH View Post
A couple of things about ProCoder 3:

1. Grid Encoding only supports HDV-1 and HDV-2 profiles for high definition, it does not support Blu-Ray or HD-DVD profiles (those two you need to create yourself, and use the standard MPEG-2 encoder)

2. ProCoder 3's Grid Encoding only encodes MPEG-2. (for HDV- or DVD-compliant video)

I should add here that at this time, ProCoder 3 is not intended, nor endorsed as a Blu-Ray/HD-DVD compatible product. If it was, it would be well advertised all over the product web page.
Yes, I was aware of the above limitations - are there any plans to expand grid encoding to the blu-ray encoding "flavor" of mpeg - i.e. elementary stream? Sorenson does seem to utilize dual core/dual processor across the entire range of mpeg encoding.

We now have the ability to author quite decent looking blu-ray discs with the BDMV format that allows menus etc. (DVDit Pro HD from Sonic/Roxio) so I could see the need for faster encoding. Many of us who started producing videos in the HDV format have been saving our video files inthe .m2t type and are now finally able to put them on blu-ray. I hope Grass Vally/Canopus responds to this need.
planetweckesser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2007, 07:27 PM   #4
GrassValley_KH
Mr Sparkle

Quote:
Originally Posted by planetweckesser View Post
Yes, I was aware of the above limitations - are there any plans to expand grid encoding to the blu-ray encoding "flavor" of mpeg - i.e. elementary stream?
While nothing is impossible, I don't have a clean-cut 'yes/no' answer at the moment on this one.
GrassValley_KH is offline   Reply With Quote

Go Back   Grass Valley Forums > Converters > ProCoder