Grass Valley Forums Facebook   Twitter   YouTube  

Go Back   Grass Valley Forums > Editors > EDIUS: Compatible Third Party Products

Old 08-24-2017, 10:59 AM   #1
zvit

Default davinci resolve 14 studio and EDIUS

Just asking.

Was looking at the free davinci resolve 14 and davinci resolve 14 studio which syncs by waveform (no need for PE), has top standard color correction, tracking, improved real-time, stabilizer, tools and functions that any editor would dream of.

What does Edius have or do that they don't?

I hope there are good answers because I really like EDIUS but Resolve is very tempting - even the free version.
Gigabyte Z77X-UP4 TH, Intel Core i7 3770k 3.5GHz, 4 Core, 8 Threads, 32GB RAM, NVIDIA GeForce GTX 660 2GB, 500GB SSD HDD for OS, 20 Gigabytes Usable Hard Drive Capacity, Window 10 PRO 64-bit Edius 9.5 WORKSTATION...
zvit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2017, 12:04 PM   #2
zvit

Quote:
Originally Posted by More4K View Post
All of this sounds great on BM page:) Have you tired it ?
Resolve needs at least 2x more expensive machine. Its editing abilities are still not great, although getting better. It's free, but more expensive machine will "eat" your Edius license cost, so this is not so obvious.
It all mainly depends on what you actually do, what files working with? I can tell you that you won't get better grading results with Resolve compared to Edius, until you don't learn it well. Do you really need Resolve grading capabilities? Are you going spend days on grading per scene, with tracking, power windows etc?
In the same time Edius editing experience is far better, so I would say try it first. At the end Resolve is free :)
Although they don't say this, the timeline seems like a magnetic timeline, which is super cool to use, that FCP introduced a while back. When you ripple extend, it can extend multiple tracks for you.

like the M\N EDIUS cuts, they have this too.
I am familiar with node editing so the grading is not a problem for me.
What I really liked is the match color like FCP has - that you can match colors from one clip to other, multiple clips. This is a huge time-saver.
And of course the ability to sync by waveform right in the NLE.

On all the Youtubes I watched, it showed real-time without any of their hardware.
The only mention about their hardware is that it's the reason they are able to make the NLE free - because they make so much profit on their hardware.
(GRASSVALLEY also has huge hardware sales... wonder when EDIUS will be free :-) )

Most of my footage is 1080\4K and the free Resolve supports that.
Gigabyte Z77X-UP4 TH, Intel Core i7 3770k 3.5GHz, 4 Core, 8 Threads, 32GB RAM, NVIDIA GeForce GTX 660 2GB, 500GB SSD HDD for OS, 20 Gigabytes Usable Hard Drive Capacity, Window 10 PRO 64-bit Edius 9.5 WORKSTATION...
Old 08-24-2017, 12:25 PM   #3
PaulTV

I have the full version of Resolve, and whilst it's OK for some color work, I find it really impossible to manage a large project, and the tools are very limited, for me at least, also real time is related to the GPU to a great extent - so you need something really strong such as a 1080ti if you want multiple layers and nodes.

Plug in support is OK, but I find a lot of the control panels strange, same way Edius produces its own version of the the plug in interface, rather than the one supplied by the vendor.

File handling is really poor, there are many codecs and formats not supported - it does not rely on your machine codec packs but what comes in the soft.

Still, its great for free - but it's still not an Editor.

Just my opinion.

Paul :-)

System 1: Edius 7.5 Asus X79 4930K 6 core @4.4GHz Water Cooled. 480GB REVO3x2 System drive, 4TB Raid 0, 4 TB E-Sata Raid 5, 32GB RAM, GTX1070Ti Decklink HD Extreme. 3X Sony AX53 Sony AX700

http://indiestereographer.blogspot.co.uk
PaulTV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2017, 12:35 PM   #4
zvit

Quote:
Originally Posted by PaulTV View Post
I have the full version of Resolve, and whilst it's OK for some color work, I find it really impossible to manage a large project, and the tools are very limited, for me at least, also real time is related to the GPU to a great extent - so you need something really strong such as a 1080ti if you want multiple layers and nodes.

Plug in support is OK, but I find a lot of the control panels strange, same way Edius produces its own version of the the plug in interface, rather than the one supplied by the vendor.

File handling is really poor, there are many codecs and formats not supported - it does not rely on your machine codec packs but what comes in the soft.

Still, its great for free - but it's still not an Editor.

Just my opinion.

Paul :-)
Are you talking about the new 14 version? or 12.5?
Old 08-24-2017, 12:40 PM   #5
Peterjames

For 4K (UHD) HDR I am looking at using Resolve as I believe Edius will not output H265 files with metadata suitable for latest TVs. For HD Rec709 then I will continue to use Edius. Hopefully Edius 9 when it arrives will offer improved features for 4K HDR otherwise I will not upgrade from E8 but have to use Resolve instead.
Peterjames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2017, 07:45 PM   #6
Peterjames

Quote:
Originally Posted by More4K View Post
Neither Resolve (it has no h265 exporter at all)- encoding h265 with proper HDR metadata is still job for ffmpeg etc.
If Resolve v14 studio cannot output H265 file, how about Premiere for 4K HDR?
It would be helpful if GV could add H265 HDR export in next version including support for UHD at 50/60p
Peterjames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2017, 04:24 PM   #7
David Clarke

Resolve has a great list of features on paper and in reality many are also good. I have the Studio version and have also done some tutorials comparing how Resolve does the same thing as various editing programs - such as rendering etc.. I also own Premiere and Media Composer and have used all of them.

I do always keep coming back to EDIUS. It is the most reliable and does the basics really well - such as loading clips quickly, RT playback with a fairly simple system.

Like More 4K I have found the current beta of Resolve unstable - but then it is beta. But ignoring that the biggest problem has to be getting footage in and out. It does not load most AVI files, AVCHD, MPEG and loads more. The output is also pretty limited - you more or less have to render to a decent uncompressed file and use something else.

If there is a thing I like that Resolve does and EDIUS does not I take a clip into Resolve, render it, then take it back to EDIUS. Not ideal but the speed and reliability of EDIUS wins for me every time.
Desktop: 2Ghz 12 core Xeon processor, 32GB RAM, nVidia 1060, BM Intensity Pro, Windows 10
David Clarke is offline   Reply With Quote

Go Back   Grass Valley Forums > Editors > EDIUS: Compatible Third Party Products