Grass Valley Forums Facebook   Twitter   YouTube  

Go Back   Grass Valley Forums > Editors > Editing with EDIUS

Old 01-06-2018, 10:57 PM   #1
Gunn

Default Applying a LUT

I use Edius 8.53 and I am a happy camper.

I received a short video shot in UHD with an Osmo camera/gimble. A D-Log LUT was used.

This is my first experience with a LUT but I found info on this forum to get started. I located and downloaded a D-Log to Rec709 LUT and registered it in the Primary Color Correction filter.

When you go to add a LUT to the this clip, you are asked what is the Source LUT. The LUT I registered shows on a list of destination LUTs but not on the list of Source LUTs.

Am I confused about using LUTs in Edius? If my procedure is OK so far, why is the LUT not available as a Source Lut when it is available as a Destination LUT?

I just know I will regret posting this question!!! Please make allowances I am old.
Gunn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2018, 09:22 AM   #2
tingsern

Hello,

Are you absolutely certain that the D-Log LUT you downloaded is specifically meant for that camera? I would ask you to go to DJI website (since they make this camera) and look for the D-Log LUT - then it will be more accurate than the one you had.
Edius 9.4 Pro, Lenovo P72 workstation laptop, 64GB RAM, Xeon CPU, Windows 10 Pro (64 bits), 2 x 2TB Samsung M2.NVME and 1 x 4TB Samsung SSD internal. Panasonic UX180 camera, Blackmagic 4K Pocket Cinema, Blackmagic Pocket Cinema
tingsern is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2018, 07:40 PM   #3
Gunn

Quote:
Originally Posted by tingsern View Post
Hello,

Are you absolutely certain that the D-Log LUT you downloaded is specifically meant for that camera? I would ask you to go to DJI website (since they make this camera) and look for the D-Log LUT - then it will be more accurate than the one you had.
I downloaded the LUT from the Osmo site specifically for my customer's camera. Same problem. At this point I am going to move on and make the corrections manually.

Thanks for trying to help!
Old 01-08-2018, 10:47 PM   #4
Gunn

TingSern,

Dealing with this color correction is hampered by not applying the Osmo D-Log LUT correctly so I am going to give it another try. I will try to explain my question:

In using a LUT with the Primary Color Correction filter, I have a SOURCE selection to make. There are many LUTs on the list to select from. The Source list that I can select from does NOT include either of the two D-Log LUTs that I registered. The list of Destination LUTs DOES include my registered LUTs.

Don't I have to select the correct LUT for the Source color space?!?!
Old 01-09-2018, 12:40 AM   #5
Gunn

Angry

Huston, we have a problem! I just watched one of David Clarke's videos
on PCC/Luts in Edius 8.2. In that video, he a was able to click on the little COG to the right of the Source and Destination color space area. That prompted a list to pop up that contained all the LUTs including his registered LUTs. That list could be used for both Source and Destination.

My little COG does not do that. Is it susposed to in Edius 8.53???
Old 01-09-2018, 12:56 AM   #6
LewS

I have downloaded and installed a number of luts and they have only shown up in the destination menu. Have you tried applying the Primary Color Corrector to the clip you want to fix and then selecting the LUT you want to use from the destination folder?

Last edited by LewS; 01-09-2018 at 01:22 AM.
LewS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2018, 01:10 AM   #7
GrassValley_SL

IIRC you can only import LUTS for the destination.
The source luts are system luts which can be automatically set by reading the meta.

I will check with our QA department but I think I remembered correctly. :)

Please don't send me Private Messages for support. Contact Grass Valley support
GrassValley_SL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2018, 04:22 AM   #8
tingsern

I only need to know the destination colour space. Source can be defaulted to BT.703.

I don't have EDIUS 8.53 (only 9).
Edius 9.4 Pro, Lenovo P72 workstation laptop, 64GB RAM, Xeon CPU, Windows 10 Pro (64 bits), 2 x 2TB Samsung M2.NVME and 1 x 4TB Samsung SSD internal. Panasonic UX180 camera, Blackmagic 4K Pocket Cinema, Blackmagic Pocket Cinema
tingsern is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2018, 12:07 PM   #9
kpot

Quote:
Originally Posted by GrassValley_SL View Post
IIRC you can only import LUTS for the destination.
The source luts are system luts which can be automatically set by reading the meta.

I will check with our QA department but I think I remembered correctly. :)
I am sure you remember correctly - kurt
Intel core i7-6700K / ASUS Z170A / 32 GB RAM / Intel HD Graphics 530 / SSD Systemdrive / Gigabyte GeForce GT 1070 / Win-10/64 Pro (V-1809) / EDIUS-9.51 (5619)-WG / Mercalli (V2, V4 and V5 Plugin/64bit) / Resolve-16.1.2 Studio / Zonealarm(Firewall etc) / ImgBurn / PowerDVD etc.
// Read > Test > Understand
kpot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2018, 12:17 PM   #10
GrassValley_SL

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gunn View Post
I downloaded the LUT from the Osmo site specifically for my customer's camera. Same problem. At this point I am going to move on and make the corrections manually.

Thanks for trying to help!
Hi Gun,

Unfortunately EDIUS 9.0 does not support D-Gamut/D-Log color space yet.
Can you try the following ? Choose “V-Gamut/V-Log” as the source in PCC. There will be no problem because the conversion is carried out by the LUT instead of the PCC built-in conversion function in this case.
However the PCC’s “Exposure” and “White Balance” sliders will not be moved automatically from the neutral position, because they depend on the source format setting (which we don't support currently).
The “Lift” and the lower functions are usable (for the destination) and help to convert to BT.709 correctly.

Please let us know how this goes.

We have send in a request to support D-log.

Please don't send me Private Messages for support. Contact Grass Valley support
GrassValley_SL is offline   Reply With Quote

Go Back   Grass Valley Forums > Editors > Editing with EDIUS