Grass Valley Forums Facebook   Twitter   YouTube  

Go Back   Grass Valley Forums > Editors > Editing with EDIUS

Old 11-16-2018, 03:56 PM   #11
Liverpool TV

Quote:
Originally Posted by DigitalDave View Post
Hi Dave
I use the waveform to sync tracks - (I just noticed one track was expanded on screenshot) A guide track of the audio mix is also synced. Then all VA audio is turned off.
Eventually the guidetrack will be replaced with a remastered mix.
Hi David.

Thanks. Then in that case, my system would also playback fine doing that as there is only one active clip/edit/track at any one time.

However, if that track count were translated to normal mode and with no muting, then on my system it would totally stall.

I suspect that it's not just me or my system that has this issue, it really does feel like Edius, at least upto E8.5, has issues as it reads everything and not just the visible media. I believe this is what Marc was getting at and not so much issues in general with multicam.

Although Edius isn't perfect you can fairly much get around most of its anomalies with a bit of planning, which is true of every other NLE out there. Although I still think Edius is the best of the NLEs for their primary function of editing.

Hopefully, certain legacy issues will work their way out of the system with future versions, that's when I'd upgrade.

Cheers,
Dave.

If you don't know the difference between Azimuth and Asimov, then either your tapes sound bad and your Robot is very dangerous. Kill all humans...... Or your tape deck won't harm a human, and your Robot's tracking and stereo imagining is spot on.

Is your Robot three laws safe?
Liverpool TV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2018, 04:08 PM   #12
Ron Evans

I assume Dave uses the same approach as me. All source files are VA tracks so that they can be used to sync by waveforms visually. I then export the audio and edit it with other audio in Vegas and bring back into A tracks. All VA audio is muted for the edit but of course the A tracks are then active and of course do not get cut with the multicam edit. That is only for video. 1/2 resolution works whether they are active or not though. I never have the audio mixer open though in multicam mode. Multicam is just for cutting with filters off etc. All corrections etc are done in the full playback mode. These days I usually use the multicam mode to set my cut points and then may totally change what camera I use to hit these points with crop/pan and zoom with the GH5 files.

Threadripper 1920 stock clock 3.7, Gigabyte Designare X399 MB, 32G G.Skill 3200CL14, 500G M.2 SATA OS, 500G EVO 850 temp. 1T EVO 850 render, 6T Source, 2 x 1T NVME, MSI 1080Ti 11G , EVGA 850 G2, LG BLuray Burner, BM IP4K, WIN10 Pro

ASUS PB328 monitor, BenQ BL2711U 4K preview monitor, EDIUS 9.5 WG, Vegas 17, Resolve Studio 16

Cameras: GH5S, GH5, FDR-AX100, FDR-AX53, DJI OSMO Pocket, Atomos Ninja V x 2
Ron Evans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2018, 04:08 PM   #13
DigitalDave

I just ropened that project and had all 12 audio tracks "Active" and no stuttering in Multicam mode.
DigitalDave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2018, 04:14 PM   #14
Ron Evans

Like Dave I just opened the last project I did with 4 cameras ( GH5, GH5S, both UHD60P, AX100 HD60P, AX53 HD60P in a HD60P project ) All play fine with all audio tracks active ( in this case 4 VA audio and 3 A tracks ). In multicam 1/2 resolution they play realtime. The edit plays fine at realtime with all audio tracks.

Threadripper 1920 stock clock 3.7, Gigabyte Designare X399 MB, 32G G.Skill 3200CL14, 500G M.2 SATA OS, 500G EVO 850 temp. 1T EVO 850 render, 6T Source, 2 x 1T NVME, MSI 1080Ti 11G , EVGA 850 G2, LG BLuray Burner, BM IP4K, WIN10 Pro

ASUS PB328 monitor, BenQ BL2711U 4K preview monitor, EDIUS 9.5 WG, Vegas 17, Resolve Studio 16

Old 11-16-2018, 08:42 PM   #15
Marc44

I post a TL pic.
The TL is not in multicam mode.
The sound stutters at the bar point, from time to time
Sometimes, it's OK, sometimes it's wrong with a red line on TL ...
Edius 9.3x

Marc
Attached Images
File Type: jpg TL-multicam.jpg (177.7 KB, 19 views)
System : W7 Ultimate - MB: Asus Z170 - I7 6700K - Ram 16 Go - SSD1 256 Go (OS/log) - SSD2 1To (rushes) - HDD 4To (save) - Nvidia Asus GTX970 - HDspark - Edius WG 9 - Vistitle 2.6 - Robuskey - Mercalli4 - Neat video - Ignite - Hitfilm4Pro - AV : Eset Nod32 - Others : Moniteur Sony 32-EX500 - Cam : Sony EX1-R - 2 x Sony PXW-X70 - 1 x Pana GH5
Edius in France
Marc44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2018, 09:01 PM   #16
Liverpool TV

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marc44 View Post
I post a TL pic.
The TL is not in multicam mode.
The sound stutters at the bar point, from time to time
Sometimes, it's OK, sometimes it's wrong with a red line on TL ...
Edius 9.3x

Marc
Hi Marc.

This looks like the exact same problem I was describing.

In my case, just switching off a simple text layer or simple audio track will have quite a disproportionate positive effect on the timeline.

In certain instance it will be down to processing power, or lack off. But I find the issue mostly related to Edius finding certain simple assets difficult to render in real time.

Cheers,
Dave.

If you don't know the difference between Azimuth and Asimov, then either your tapes sound bad and your Robot is very dangerous. Kill all humans...... Or your tape deck won't harm a human, and your Robot's tracking and stereo imagining is spot on.

Is your Robot three laws safe?
Liverpool TV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2018, 10:15 PM   #17
BernH

Quote:
Originally Posted by Liverpool TV View Post
Hi David.

Not being a big user of multicam could you explain something please.

Looking at that screen grab it looks like every cut/clip/track is muted other than the cut/clip/track that's actually viewable. Is that the case?

Cheers,
Dave.
Dave, Edius automatically mutes the unused sections of a muticam.

I never checked personally, but I would guess that it does this to improve playback, assuming that a muted clip is not processed at all, thereby getting around the issue you mentioned earlier about it processing all tracks even if they are not visible.
Edius WG 9.51.5619, various 3rd party plugins, VisTitle 2.8.0.5, Win 7 Ultimate SP1, i7-4790K @ 4GHz with HD4600 GPU embedded, MSI Z97 Gaming 7 Motherboard, 32GB Kingston HyperX RAM, nVidia GTX680 4GB GPU, Matrox MX02 Mini MAX, Corsair 750W PSU, Corsair H110i GT Water Cooler, Corsair C70 case, 4TB Internal RAID 0/stripe (2x2TB Seagate SATAIII HDD's, Win7 Software RAID 0/stripe), 1TB Crucial MX500 SSD, Pioneer BDR-207D, Dual 1920x1080 monitors (one on GTX680 and one on Intel HD4600).
BernH is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2018, 10:34 PM   #18
BernH

Quote:
5 cam (Sony X70) : XAVC-L / HD
1 cam (Pana GH5) : MP4 / UHD
The track in MP4-UHD is the lowest one (not used frequently).
Every track used only : it's OK, very easy to play.
Sometimes there are 2 or 3 tracks activated in the upper tracks;
And there, no realtime.
If the track with MP4 is on, while a clip is used in a track just above : no realtime.

A friend in France has the same problem with Edius 9.x

Marc
AVC and and your MP4 files are all heavily compressed formats (essentially variations on H264 encoding), requiring a lot of CPU power to decode. I would guess that the UHD track is the biggest culprit, since it is the equivalent of about 4 HD tracks, so you are essentially asking Edius to decode the equivalent of 8 HD tracks in terms of data rates, but the complexity/compression scheme of the of the codec can even make it worse.

If you can enable quicksync decoding in the Edius system settings it may help, but this requires that your intel GPU is active. If you don't have the Intel GPU plugged into a monitor, it will not be active. Often the best intel driver for this is the one that shipped with you motherboard.

You can also try transcoding to HQX as mentioned above, but for this to work, you really should do it before your edit, since it creates a new file that Edius will not automatically link back to if you started with the original, although you might be able to force it by re-naming the original in explorer and then using the offline relink dialogue to force linking to the new file.

Another option is to use proxy mode and finish your edit, then turn proxy mode off before exporting. This will cause Edius to create lower quality proxy files, but changing the timeline mode will make Edius link back to the originals for output.

I always try to work with HQX from the start, since it is the native codec for Edius, and requires a lot less CPU to decode, performing even better in Edius than other codecs such as ProRes and DNxHD, but, like all of these less compressed codecs, it does so at the expense of file size and drive speeds as I alluded to above.
Edius WG 9.51.5619, various 3rd party plugins, VisTitle 2.8.0.5, Win 7 Ultimate SP1, i7-4790K @ 4GHz with HD4600 GPU embedded, MSI Z97 Gaming 7 Motherboard, 32GB Kingston HyperX RAM, nVidia GTX680 4GB GPU, Matrox MX02 Mini MAX, Corsair 750W PSU, Corsair H110i GT Water Cooler, Corsair C70 case, 4TB Internal RAID 0/stripe (2x2TB Seagate SATAIII HDD's, Win7 Software RAID 0/stripe), 1TB Crucial MX500 SSD, Pioneer BDR-207D, Dual 1920x1080 monitors (one on GTX680 and one on Intel HD4600).

Last edited by BernH; 11-17-2018 at 08:07 AM.
BernH is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2018, 10:48 PM   #19
Ron Evans

The whole point of multicam is to choose the clip to play. Just as one would do with a live switcher for a live show with lots of cameras. Of course in this case all other sources are muted at that point for the output. To me that last fig has not been through a multicam edit as if it had only one clip section would be active at any point on the timeline and all others would be muted. So it is displaying a timeline with clips on various tracks and nothing to do with the result of multicam. The attached fig is from my last show timeline. Tracks 1 and 3 are GH5 and GH5S with track 2 the AX100. The project is 1920x108060P with the GH5's UHD60 and the AX100HD. this plays fine before editing and after multicam on my system full resolution but in muticam even my Threadripper needs 1/2 preview resolution to play realtime. You see that on track 3 there are various sections and that is where I have used layouter to crop/pan or zoom into the image. Will also depend on buffer size too as you may be asking EDIUS to span GH5 clips and playback which would be a real task for your CPU.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg multicam.jpg (177.0 KB, 13 views)

Last edited by Ron Evans; 11-16-2018 at 11:35 PM.
Old 11-16-2018, 11:33 PM   #20
antonsvideo

Quote:
5 cam (Sony X70) : XAVC-L / HD
1 cam (Pana GH5) : MP4 / UHD
The track in MP4-UHD is the lowest one (not used frequently).
Every track used only : it's OK, very easy to play.
Sometimes there are 2 or 3 tracks activated in the upper tracks;
And there, no realtime.
If the track with MP4 is on, while a clip is used in a track just above : no realtime.

A friend in France has the same problem with Edius 9.x

Marc
can I see a screenshot of project settings, GH5 clip properties, Multicam View settings, slomo frame handling default settings

EDIUS 9 WG with Matrox MXO2, Gigabyte X299 UD4 Pro, Intel Core i9 9960X 16 Core, 32 Threads @ 4.3Ghz, Corsair Water Cooling, Gigabyte RTX-2070 Super 3X 8GB Video Card, Samsung 860 Pro 512GB SSD for System, 8TB Samsung Raid0 SSD for Video, 2 Pioneer BDR-209 Blu-ray/DVD burners, Hotswap Bay for 3.5" Sata and 2.5" SSD, Phanteks Enthoo Pro XL Tower, Corsair 32GB DDR4 Ram, Win10 Pro
antonsvideo is offline   Reply With Quote

Go Back   Grass Valley Forums > Editors > Editing with EDIUS