Grass Valley Forums Facebook   Twitter   YouTube  

Go Back   Grass Valley Forums > Editors > Editing with EDIUS

Old 10-15-2019, 01:46 AM   #1
jerryr

Default How to view/edit a Canopus codec AVI file?

There isn't a forum this neatly fits into, so I apologize if I am posting this in the wrong place.

I have a bunch of AVI files acquired using a DVStorm card (with the Storm Video app), so they use the Canopus DV codec. I'd like to be able to view/edit them on a Windows 10 computer. I tried installing the Grass Valley Playback Codecs Pack (v6.02) to no avail. Windows still does not recognize the codec and I also tried loading them in some free NLE software but they would not display. I don't have a recent version Edius (I do have version 1.5 on the ancient Win XP computer the AVI files were originally acquired on, but that doesn't do me much good) and since I'm not a professional, I don't have much need to buy a professional NLE system.

Note that the file I tried this with is not a Reference AVI.

Thanks for any help.
jerryr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2019, 05:15 PM   #2
Haddock

Hello,

This is the codec I should download and install.. but I don't have tested on Windows 10 : GV_CodecOption_Setup-8.5.0.1927.

- https://www.grassvalley.com/support/...roduct=general
- Grass Valley Codec Pack (v8.50.1927) for Windows 7, Windows 8/8.1, and Windows 10 (64-bit) Released: 2017-04-24
The Grass Valley Codec Pack allows you to import and export video files that use the Grass Valley HQ, Grass Valley HQX, Grass Valley Lossless, and Grass Valley DV codecs.

Sorry for my poor english, I am french native speaking

Main System: Azus Z87 Pro, 4770K@3.5Ghz, 16gb ram, Nvidia GeForce GT 630, Windows 7 Pro 64, Samsung 840 pro, Edius 8.53.2808 WG and 9.40.4896 + NXexpress or HDspark, 2T separate video SSD.
Haddock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2019, 07:23 PM   #3
trillium

You could use the old machine to export mp4.
Nvida 1060 OVC, CPU i7-8700 3.7GH
Edius 9.4
trillium is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2019, 04:24 PM   #4
Thor

Is your old XP machine operable?

Are you able to see them in your old version of Edius?

If so, you should be able to export them to new MSDV files, which can be read by any machine.

And, you are SURE they are not reference files?

Jon

#1: Iwill DK8N, 2 x 270 Opterons, 2 Gb RAM, WinXPPro-32, Edius 5.51, NX PCI-X & HDV Expansion, ProCoder 3, Imaginate 2, Sony WV-DR9, Sony EDV-9500, Sony GV-D200.
#2: Asus P5E, Q9400, WinXPPro-32, Edius 6.07, HD Spark
#3: Edius SP with Breakout Box, Win10, Edius 7.53
Thor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2019, 05:01 AM   #5
jerryr

I didn't originally try the GV_CodecOption_Setup-8.5.0.1927 pack, because it didn't mention Canopus codec in the description, but I tried it after you mentioned it. No joy - Windows player still says unrecognized codec.

I'm sure the AVI file I'm testing with is not a reference AVI. I even fresh acquired a new file using Storm Video, making sure the Reference AVI option was unchecked. It would not play on my Win 10 machine.

I have Edius 1.0 installed on my XP machine. When I start it up it starts using all the CPU and not rendering its windows. Don't know why. So I tried downloading and installing 1.5, which I'm licensed for. When I run the installer it says I need to have the CD inserted. The CD player on the computer got cannibalized a long time ago, so I have to round up one of my spares. Then try running the 1.5 setup.exe while the 1.0 CD is in the drive. I'll try that later.
Old 10-18-2019, 05:58 AM   #6
Thor

If you installed a Canopus codec pack on top of an Edius installation, it can cause problems.

If your video files are one large file, greater than 4 GB, then they are not reference files.

If they are filename.avi, filename.001, filename.002, etc.; then they are indeed reference files, which were needed to overcome the file size limitation of nothing greater than 4 GB in non-NTFS systems.

Please keep us posted on your progress. We'll try to help any way we can.

Jon

#1: Iwill DK8N, 2 x 270 Opterons, 2 Gb RAM, WinXPPro-32, Edius 5.51, NX PCI-X & HDV Expansion, ProCoder 3, Imaginate 2, Sony WV-DR9, Sony EDV-9500, Sony GV-D200.
#2: Asus P5E, Q9400, WinXPPro-32, Edius 6.07, HD Spark
#3: Edius SP with Breakout Box, Win10, Edius 7.53
Thor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2019, 07:37 AM   #7
jerryr

Thanks for the advice Jon.

Edius was not installed on my Win10 computer. It's possible I tried to install it once a long time ago, but it wasn't installed when I installed the codec pack.

The AVI I was testing with was not a reference AVI. No .00X files, just the single .avi.

I connected a DVD player and put the Edius 1.0 disk in it when I ran the 1.5 installer, and this time 1.5 installed without issue, yay. I was also able to run 1.5 without issue - 1.5 did not have the CPU issue that 1.0 did. At that point I investigated what export options I had for the clips. mpeg 1 and 2, but no 4. And MSDV AVI. I chose MSDV and had no problem with the export, which was then able to play on my Win10 machine.

Is MSDV better than mpeg 2 for archival purposes?

Thanks for all the help everyone offered.
Old 10-18-2019, 09:57 AM   #8
Haddock

Just an idea. Try to convert your files from your XP computer with Handbrake

Sorry for my poor english, I am french native speaking

Main System: Azus Z87 Pro, 4770K@3.5Ghz, 16gb ram, Nvidia GeForce GT 630, Windows 7 Pro 64, Samsung 840 pro, Edius 8.53.2808 WG and 9.40.4896 + NXexpress or HDspark, 2T separate video SSD.
Haddock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2019, 03:56 PM   #9
BernH

Quote:
Originally Posted by jerryr View Post
Is MSDV better than mpeg 2 for archival purposes?
MSDV is essentially a derivative of Motion Jpeg, and is the microsoft version if the codec used in mini DV/DVCAM/DVCPro (a.k.a. DV25) . Since it is a microsoft codec, it is built into windows and therefore the most universally compatible version. Canopus had their own version of this codec, which if I recall correctly was also licensed to Avid, that was a better quality implementation, but since it isn't built into windows, you needed the codec installed to play those files.

That said, as alluded to in the DV25 name, any standard definition DV codec variant (MSDV, Canopus DV, Pinnacle DV, etc) has a hard coded bitrate of 25Mbps. All DV codec variants are also known for their staircase artifacts in diagonal lines due to less than optimum anti-aliasing (some variants suffer worse than others from this.)

MPEG2 is potentially a better quality codec because it is not fixed at 25Mbps, allowing the compression ratio to be adjusted to match requirements, and is a more efficient codec allowing comparable quality at a lower bitrate (you can probably achieve similar quality to DV at somewhere around 18mbps with relatively clean noise free video that does not have a lot of fast motion, but can go higher is the video is noisy and you don't want to de-noise or let the noise "break" the compression or there is a lot of fast motion. MPEG2 does not suffer from the diagonal line issue of DV, but instead has the potential to exhibit macro-blocking if the bitrates are set too low for the encoding engine to be able to handle fast motion or video noise. MPEG2 at the same bitrate at DV25 (25Mbps) should be a better quality at the same file size.

MPEG2 is the codec used for most broadcast work, DVD, satellite, HDV, Betacam SX and IMX, and is one of the two allowable codecs for Blu-Ray, among other uses I'm sure I'm missing. DV was used for DV/DVCAM/DVCPro camcorders, and that is where it's use ended for the most part. Not that that directly pertains to the question, but the prevalence and uses for MPEG2 compared to DV, should also say something about it being a better choice compared to DV.
Edius WG 9.50.5351, various 3rd party plugins, VisTitle 2.8.0.5, Win 7 Ultimate SP1, i7-4790K @ 4GHz with HD4600 GPU embedded, MSI Z97 Gaming 7 Motherboard, 32GB Kingston HyperX RAM, nVidia GTX680 4GB GPU, Matrox MX02 Mini MAX, Corsair 750W PSU, Corsair H110i GT Water Cooler, Corsair C70 case, 4TB Internal RAID 0/stripe (2x2TB Seagate SATAIII HDD's, Win7 Software RAID 0/stripe), 1TB Crucial MX500 SSD, Pioneer BDR-207D, Dual 1920x1080 monitors (one on GTX680 and one on Intel HD4600).
BernH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2019, 04:53 AM   #10
jerryr

BernH, great info, thanks!

Go Back   Grass Valley Forums > Editors > Editing with EDIUS