Grass Valley Forums Facebook   Twitter   YouTube  

Go Back   Grass Valley Forums > Editors > Editing with EDIUS

Old 03-26-2017, 07:15 PM   #1
Liverpool TV

Default Edius - Failed to activate the license.......

Anyone know what the following message and error code mean?

Failed to activate the license with the entered serial number.
Please make sure whether there are no mistakes for the entered serial number.
Error code: 4120.0.1D4FE.C4

Aside from the message being written in bad English, it kind of suggests that the serial is wrong, although mine isn't. I've cut and paste my serial, as I've done before and I've also typed it in a few times, but am constantly getting this message. I've also triple checked it as it is being typed in and checked for spacing.

I would appreciate any help regard this as I'm away from my desktop system for a few days and am desperate to get editing on my laptop.

Cheers,
Dave.

If you don't know the difference between Azimuth and Asimov, then either your tapes sound bad and your Robot is very dangerous. Kill all humans...... Or your tape deck won't harm a human, and your Robot's tracking and stereo imagining is spot on.

Is your Robot three laws safe?
Liverpool TV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2017, 08:25 PM   #2
GrassValley_SL

If I am not mistaken you have reached the maximum number of activations for that specific serial number.

Please don't send me Private Messages for support. Contact Grass Valley support
GrassValley_SL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2017, 08:41 PM   #3
Liverpool TV

Quote:
Originally Posted by GrassValley_SL View Post
If I am not mistaken you have reached the maximum number of activations for that specific serial number.
Thanks Steve.

It's a little strange as it's only been activated once on one machine to date. Does this still apply to NFR serials?

If it is the activation limit, how do I go about resetting the license? Is there a web interface for this?

It also seems a little strange that GV still haven't sorted out these cryptic messages so far into the life of the online activation system. The message above would very much suggest an issue with the inputting of the serial as opposed to reaching a limit.

Cheers,
Dave.

If you don't know the difference between Azimuth and Asimov, then either your tapes sound bad and your Robot is very dangerous. Kill all humans...... Or your tape deck won't harm a human, and your Robot's tracking and stereo imagining is spot on.

Old 03-26-2017, 08:49 PM   #4
GrassValley_SL

I honestly don't know what the limit is for NFR serial-numbers. Maybe you can contact support?
They may be able to sort the issue for you.

Please don't send me Private Messages for support. Contact Grass Valley support
GrassValley_SL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2017, 09:07 PM   #5
Liverpool TV

Quote:
Originally Posted by GrassValley_SL View Post
I honestly don't know what the limit is for NFR serial-numbers. Maybe you can contact support?
They may be able to sort the issue for you.
Thanks again Steve.

Unfortunately, contacting support isn't an option at 8PM on Sunday.

In the time during this post being active, and suspecting things were not going to be straight forward to sort out, I've had to switch to Adobe Prem.

I've just downloaded Prem from a Cloud account I use, deactivated and reactivated licenses, and now have a working NLE to carry on working with. All done in less than 30 minutes.

If GV need any feedback on the Edius activation system, then hopefully this post is pretty self explanatory and shows, once again, a serious problem with it.

On a practical level. I'm a serious Edius user who champions the product at every opportunity, but am unable to use it right in the middle of a production and at a time that I can't afford any down time. I'm now having to work with Adobe, because its licensing simply works. I will also have to finish these next few edits on Prem, not the best advert for GV or the best option for an Edius user.

Cheers,
Dave.

Old 03-26-2017, 09:17 PM   #6
antonsvideo

have you checked your license to see how many times it has been activated by clicking manage license
http://activation1.grassvalley.com/f...ortal/logon.do

also, is computer date and time correct?

EDIUS 9 WG with Matrox MXO2, Asrock X99 Extreme 6, Intel Core i7 5960X Extreme Haswell-E 8-Core, Corsair Water Cooling, Nvidia Geforce GTX-980, Samsung 860 Pro SSD for System, 8TB Samsung Raid0 SSD for Video, 3 Pioneer BDR-209 Blu-ray/DVD burners, Hotswap Bay for 3.5" Sata and 2.5" SSD, Fractal Design Arc XL Tower, 32GB DDR4 Ram, Win7 Pro
antonsvideo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2017, 09:40 PM   #7
Liverpool TV

Quote:
Originally Posted by antonsvideo View Post
have you checked your license to see how many times it has been activated by clicking manage license
http://activation1.grassvalley.com/f...ortal/logon.do

also, is computer date and time correct?
Thanks for the input Anton.

Unfortunately, it doesn't get any better.

Here's the error I get when first signing in, and this was after it first complained about the serial. No activatable line items with any copies left are found. Please go to Advanced Search and search for any line items that have 0 copies left.

Then I tried an offline/online activation using the ID/response keys, and I got this,
Request is tampered, error code: ERROR:13;An unexpected error occured. [Incident# 1041-05977405]

This is getting quite silly now as I've had a similar issue last year on a different license that also stopped me from working.

Although I would personally have still preferred a physical dongle, I don't mind the online/software type activation systems, when they work. But GV's system is too flawed, it's not user friendly and far too time consuming when you inevitably have to contact support and all the chasing that entails.

The Adobe system simply works. It is all driven by the end user, who can randomly switch activations from one machine to another, as many times as they like. All without having to get bogged down with needless, frustrating and time consuming calls to tech support.

Cheers,
Dave.

Old 03-27-2017, 05:08 AM   #8
antonsvideo

you need to click the manage licenses button at top, then you will see how many lines of entry, each line is an activation
WG can have 3 activations
Pro I think only two
NFR only two
https://www.videoproductions.com.au/...e-licenses.png

EDIUS 9 WG with Matrox MXO2, Asrock X99 Extreme 6, Intel Core i7 5960X Extreme Haswell-E 8-Core, Corsair Water Cooling, Nvidia Geforce GTX-980, Samsung 860 Pro SSD for System, 8TB Samsung Raid0 SSD for Video, 3 Pioneer BDR-209 Blu-ray/DVD burners, Hotswap Bay for 3.5" Sata and 2.5" SSD, Fractal Design Arc XL Tower, 32GB DDR4 Ram, Win7 Pro

Last edited by antonsvideo; 03-27-2017 at 06:08 AM.
antonsvideo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2017, 11:04 AM   #9
David Clarke

You are not running EDIUS 7 on Windows 10 are you? I have had a couple of people recently email me with similar problems.
Desktop: 2Ghz 12 core Xeon processor, 32GB RAM, nVidia 1060, BM Intensity Pro, Windows 10
David Clarke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2017, 03:03 PM   #10
Liverpool TV

Hi Anton.

I made a mistake earlier, mine has been installed more than once. Interestingly though, it says three times although it's NFR.

David.

Mine is E8 on Win10. Although, I've had a similar issue with E7 which I couldn't use to get around this issue I'm having with E8 at the moment.

Although I'd mistakenly thought that I had only activated it once, there shouldn't be any limit whatsoever on this anyway. One of those activations was on a drive that died, the other on a laptop that also met its demise. In these instances of drive failure or damaged portable devices, it's impossible to deactivate the install, and these things do happen.

Furthermore. What's with the totally cryptic error messages? We're well into this whole GV online activation system, why can't they say in simple English what the error is? Seriously, how hard would it be to use this message.

'You have reached the maximum amount of activations for your Edius license'

And if they're being completely honest they may want to embellish that message with.

'You will now have to go through a whole world of pain trying to contact someone at GV who understands your issue, and hopefully won't be condescending, who may or may not reset your lisence activations'

Because I never usually have show stopping issues with Edius, and I'm being completely honest now, I've never really been overly concerned when reading posts about other users having problems that I never have. Well, more fool me for being less than sympathetic.

Aside from genuine user error, there really are aspects of Edius that will stop you dead in the middle of a production and will lose you money. I mean, not even being able to open/activate Edius is about as close to a DoDo as you can get and is probably the biggest show stopper of them all.

Why can't the end user deactivate the licences themselves? If you look at that online checking link that Anton posted, thanks again Anton. How hard would it be to simply add a deactivate button?

Or better still, do away with an amount of times you can activate all together. Adobe's system works flawlessly. You simply return the activations for your cloud account if you reach your limit, this deactivates the licenses on whatever machines they are stored on, then you simply reactivate on any machine/s you want. This process takes seconds, I've done it many times and it never fails. I share a cloud account with a friend and we have a number of machines that the Adobe suit is on. Sometimes we aren't in the same place working and need a machine activating and use the above method. Seriously it is very simple and super quick.

I'm sorry if this is coming off as a rant, but it isn't. The simple fact right now is this. I work professionally in video production, this is how I earn my living, and my NLE of choice is Edius, but am now forced to use Prem because of GV's antiquated online licensing/activation system. This really isn't good enough.

I'm not about to throw my dummy out of the pram and say 'screw GV and Edius, I'm off to Adobe and Prem'. But I will be using Prem for the foreseeable future, as I have to because I've had to start a number of videos on it. That's a few videos that won't have a GV/Edius credit on them, they won't have Adobe/Prem on them either, but that's besides the point as I don't feel I have an allegiance to them or Prem. More importantly, it's an Edius editor using another NLE.

Is there anywhere on the forum that details this whole activation/licensing issue and how it's resolved. As in. What exactly is the process to reactivation, is it a definite, who exactly do you get in touch with, how long does it take etc. If there's a sticky somewhere then I apologise for not seeing it. If not, maybe it's an idea to do one.

A very disappointed Edius user.

Go Back   Grass Valley Forums > Editors > Editing with EDIUS