Grass Valley Forums Facebook   Twitter   YouTube  

Go Back   Grass Valley Forums > Converters > ADVC

Old 06-29-2015, 05:34 PM   #11
DaveL

I think I have this mostly working now - thanks to all who made suggestions.

Another thing I ran into which threw me off was the following (this may help others doing this):
When capturing with Edius7, the capture preview window would show the audio going out of sync with the video, but when I went back and viewed the captured file, the sync was fine.
I don't understand that, but once I saw that happening I would capture the entire file first and then look at the captured file to determine if audio remained sync'd. It usually did. Does this make sense to anyone?

Thanks again, I'm almost through all my captures!
Old 06-30-2015, 12:26 PM   #12
dpalomaki

Apparent video-sound sync can be off (typically by a fixed amount) depending on the latency of the paths of the audio and video through the system. For example, the audio may get to the speakers before the more complex video frame can be decoded, scaled, and displayed due to the shorter signal path (fewer steps in the process). .This can be usually minimized by using I/O cards like the BM Intensity Pro, or HD Spark (for Edius) for both audio and video output. However, capture/injesting can be a special case dependign on the software used.
dpalomaki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2017, 06:30 AM   #13
digicube

It seems this is a known problem for ADVC300 and higher model numbers where you can't turn off the internal line TBC. The solution is to use a full frame TBC which makes the ADVC300 internal line TBC ineffective since it's a clean signal or get the ADVC110 which doesn't have an internal TBC. The ADVC110 is worth a lot more than the ADVC300 on ebay.

Last edited by digicube; 04-02-2017 at 05:44 PM.
digicube is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2017, 12:46 AM   #14
dpalomaki

Line and frame TBC are different, serve different purposes. Temporal (3D) noise reduction requires a frame buffer.

Analog video is funky, and sources such as a VCR output may, or may not, benefit from a TBC. It depends on the machine and the tape at hand.

Not sure what you mean by "known problem."
Old 04-04-2017, 12:49 AM   #15
digicube

Known problem means experienced users on the internet know of ADVC300's audio video sync issues and dislike it.
Old 04-04-2017, 08:09 PM   #16
dpalomaki

That is a vague answer and cannot be addressed in any meaningful way. We need specifics of the configuration in use to to capture, view, and evaluate the loss of sync, and nature of the sync loss (a fixed amount, steady drift, jumps, etc.), to address the issue.
Old 04-04-2017, 08:21 PM   #17
digicube

I was told by experienced users on videohelp.com and verified it myself. Here is the thread. https://forum.videohelp.com/threads/...BCs-to-die-for

Here is a German review of ADVC300. http://www.ciao.de/Grass_Valley_ADVC_300__Test_8585017
Old 04-07-2017, 03:56 PM   #18
dpalomaki

For restoration of old analog tape video (VHS, 8mm, Hi8, S-VHS, etc.)
http://www.digitalfaq.com/forum/ is a resource. The principle folks there tend to be obsessive about image restoration quality, and have very strong ideas about which gear is best, and which is not. DV format is disliked because it does not have 4:2:2 (or better) color, and uses lossy compression. They are not inclined to accept the concept of "good enough."

What counts is if the end user/customer is satisfied with the results. What anyone else thinks doesn't matter. Reviews are often helpful when shopping, but are subject to the reviewers biases, and may or may not reflect someone else's environment. The ADVC300 was a nice product in many respects and filled a need - whether or not the price was too high back then is a personal matter, as is whether on not it meets a specific user's need today. The product was discontinued years ago - obviously the viable retail market demand for it has ended, but the used market continues.

Time base correction attempts to repair poor and irregular sync, vertical and horizontal. It attempts to determined the start of each scan line/field and ensures the sync pulse is of the proper shape and time relative to the start of that line/field. The quality of the output will depend in large part on how well it can detect the true start of each line/field. It's output should be a rock solid signal, but it may not be a good image if the detection is not accurate. Circuits/designs are different and will have differing ability to deal with different signal errors/distortions. The rock solid output signal may still have jitter and flagging in the image because the input signal had varying distortion in it.

Passing the output signal though a second TBC will not likely help the signal because any residual time base error the first TBC could not correct is now hardwired to a signal with solid sync. (However, some TBC's may provide noise reduction and proc amp capabilities that might make the image prettier.)

It seems that the line TBC should be within the VCR electronics to achieve the best results. It works with the signal off the tape before any downstream signal processing can distort the recorded sync further.
Old 04-07-2017, 05:27 PM   #19
digicube

The best setup seems to be VCR-->Panasonic DMR-ES10/20/15/25-->ADVC110.
Old 04-13-2017, 06:49 AM   #20
digicube

I think I've found a solution to ADVC300 video audio sync issues. Capture DV files as Type 1. This seems to keep the audio and video in sync but the media player will stall at the problem points and you need to fast forward to continue playback. To fix this, you can use Virtualdub and export it as Type 2 DV file. This seems to still keep the video and audio in sync by inserting audio delays.

Go Back   Grass Valley Forums > Converters > ADVC