Grass Valley Forums Facebook   Twitter   YouTube  

Go Back   Grass Valley Forums > Converters > FIRECODER Blu & Pegasus

Old 10-27-2007, 12:18 AM   #1
deeburz

Default Questions

1. I record video a capture still screens from PlayStation3, Xbox 360, and Wii via Component Cable for work. Is this the right gear?
  2. What is the price?
  3. Where do I buy it?
  4. I'll need to upgrade my motherboard and processor from AGP to PCI-Express. Can anyone suggest a good/compatible set that fits in a standard tower case?
Old 10-27-2007, 01:42 AM   #2
GrassValley_KH
Mr Sparkle

1. Yes - this is definitely an intended solution for video and still image capture from consoles. (attached a Wii screen grab, taken with EDIUS after capturing with Pegasus - didn't do any Photoshop work though)
2. $999 US
3. Any Grass Valley Desktop reseller - visit our Web site and click the "How To Buy" tab
4. Purely my own biased experience - Intel Core 2 Quad E6600 CPU and an ASUS P5B Deluxe
Attached Images
File Type: png wii_menu.png (277.3 KB, 75 views)
GrassValley_KH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2007, 07:16 AM   #3
GrassValley_AS
Grass Valley

Default Pegasus is the ultimate game screen grab hardware

Quote:
Originally Posted by deeburz View Post
  1. I record video a capture still screens from PlayStation3, Xbox 360, and Wii via Component Cable for work. Is this the right gear?
I can safely say that this is a very good card for that sort of task. Pegasus will allow captures up to 1080i and 720p (which should cover most Game machines) with the component cable. In fact, several major game magazines in Japan are already using the Pegasus to get their screen grabs, as well as HD Video of game play for the web!

Some titles will also work using the HDMI cable, but only if the content is not protected with HDCP (Some titles will allow the user to capture the menu screen and gameplay, but not the video sequence).

I will, however, warn you that you will only be able to capture the screens as "video" and not screen captures, but all you will need to do is feed the HQ CODEC video into a video player that supports frame grabbing, or better yet EDIUS ;), and you will have a wider choice of screen captures.

------------------------------
Andrew Smith

I am not in Technical Support.
If you have an urgent need for support, please contact GV support directly!
Private Messages for support will be disregarded.
Please use the formal support methods, they exist for everyone's benefit.
GrassValley_AS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2007, 05:28 AM   #4
shueardm

Can you output through HDMI and Component on these play machines at the same time? Otherwise, how would you play and record?
Old 10-31-2007, 05:43 AM   #5
GrassValley_KH
Mr Sparkle

You use the PC as the display device, so you don't need to split output from the source - double-click the preview area, and it switches to fullscreen.

The image reproduction is not all that different to hooking up to any regular LCD TV.
Old 11-05-2007, 06:40 AM   #6
GrassValley_AS
Grass Valley

Default Near-Realtime playback while recording

Quote:
Originally Posted by shueardm View Post
Can you output through HDMI and Component on these play machines at the same time? Otherwise, how would you play and record?
From my experience, I have found that the video image on the PC (recording and preview) has very low latency, due to the on-board scaler.

We were able to play several racing games-and the latency was low enough to be able to make the game playable. I did notice, however, a few spots where the movement was slightly behind that of my controller, but it was not that different from the lag you get from large plasma or LCD screens, you can easily learn to live with it.

The only type of game that may be affected, are fighting games that require a precise timing for combo-hits.
GrassValley_AS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2007, 08:39 PM   #7
GrassValley_BH
Demystifier/Analogizer

Also keep in mind that LCD and plasma displays also have internal scalers, as they have to "fit" the image to the panel-native resolution anyway, so it's the same process regardless unless you're using a CRT for game playing.
GrassValley_BH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2008, 08:51 PM   #8
deeburz

Thanks for your previous replies. I opted to go for a cheaper option via Blackmagic's Intesity Pro, and am now faced with nothing but problems. I can get HDMI video and audio through the card, but not component or RCA. This means it is useless when trying to record from a Wii console. Also, PC audio cuts out when recording, requiring you to purchase an HDMI-ready tv in addition. That's another $600! I've contacted BMD tech support over my issues, and they've spent weeks going back and forth, trying to poke holes in my system and configuration. I've spent an additional $100 because of them. Now they're blaming SLI, which isn't even enabled unless you install a second video card on the mobo!

Anyway, I'm sick of dealing with them and still need a video solution. If Pegasus is a better solution, then I would like to contact the reseller who sold me the device and try to bargain with them for credit toward a Pegasus. Before I do, please look at my system specs and tell me if they are going to run this card:

Giga-byte GA-M57SLI-S4
AMD Athlon x2 64 Dual Core 600+
Nvidia GeForce 8800 GTS
Sound Blaster Audigy SE
500 GB SATA HDD running Windows Vista HP 64-bit SP1
500 GB IDE HDD running Windows XP SP2 (I can use either OS)

Please poke any holes in my system configuration now. And please tell me anything else I need to buy in order to run the Pegasus card.
Old 04-01-2008, 09:47 PM   #9
GrassValley_KH
Mr Sparkle

Hardware wise, it looks to be sound...although I've only ever run it with a Dual Xeon (ie. Intel) configuration. Captured plenty of Wii material with no hiccups.

If Andrew Smith is lurking, he might have an opinion on the hardware...but otherwise, your only 'gotcha' that I can see is that it'll have to be 32-bit XP or Vista for use.
Old 04-01-2008, 09:54 PM   #10
GrassValley_KH
Mr Sparkle

I should add, that I am assuming that you will capture to a second, physical drive? Capturing to the system drive will probably introduce a headache or two...but at least the datarate for Canopus HQ is lower than...well...uncompressed.

Go Back   Grass Valley Forums > Converters > FIRECODER Blu & Pegasus