Closed Thread

Old 08-28-2019, 12:26 AM   #11
kpot

Quote:
Originally Posted by DigitalDave View Post

For me and many others, consolidate will never be on our radar

Me too!
kurt
Intel core i7-6700K / ASUS Z170A / 32 GB RAM / Intel HD Graphics 530 / SSD Systemdrive / Gigabyte GeForce GT 1070 / Win-10/64 Pro (V-1809) / EDIUS-9.51 (5619)-WG / Mercalli (V2, V4 and V5 Plugin/64bit) / Resolve-16.1.1 Studio / Zonealarm(Firewall etc) / ImgBurn / PowerDVD etc.
// Read > Test > Understand
Old 08-28-2019, 08:44 AM   #12
alessandrobelli

Keep data safely means having also backup of them, minimum two. There are people that never delete email. Is not my case. I don't like to keep useless clip. This is the reason of my question.
Old 08-28-2019, 08:51 AM   #13
alessandrobelli

Quote:
In terms of storage how much are you talking about?
Now only 150 GB
Old 08-28-2019, 09:03 AM   #14
Haddock

Quote:
Originally Posted by alessandrobelli View Post
Thank you

I've read the article… I don't know french but someting I've undestood.
The article explain how to solve the problem of the file rename, but prior to this the trim function should work, and this is my 1.st problem
Here is another pdf link in English.... May be it can face your wishes : https://forum.grassvalley.com/forum/...0&d=1521752123

Sorry for my poor english, I am french native speaking

Main System: Azus Z87 Pro, 4770K@3.5Ghz, 16gb ram, Nvidia GeForce GT 630, Windows 7 Pro 64, Samsung 840 pro, Edius 8.53.2808 WG and 9.40.4896 + NXexpress or HDspark, 2T separate video SSD.
Old 08-28-2019, 05:30 PM   #15
DigitalDave

Quote:
Now only 150 GB
How much have you saved?
What I and many other simply dont get is why piddle with consolidation - you have lost all the extra footage, your edit is now your edit so your hands are tied, perhaps with the exception of captions, so why not make one single file.
Out of interest is this corporate wedding or domestic?
Old 08-28-2019, 05:44 PM   #16
ulyssesvideo

Quote:
How much have you saved?
What I and many other simply dont get is why piddle with consolidation - you have lost all the extra footage, your edit is now your edit so your hands are tied, perhaps with the exception of captions, so why not make one single file.
Out of interest is this corporate wedding or domestic?
I have to agree with Dave here.... its really a pointless option.... with the cost of hard drives... storage shouldn't be an issue.
Ive never used it .. have no need for it.
Old 08-28-2019, 07:14 PM   #17
Ron Evans

Quote:
Now only 150 GB
How often do you have this much in a year ? That really is not very much. I keep an 8T drive of all my annual source files as well as finished projects in DVD, Bluray and now a h265 UHD encode of the full stage camera( all my project are in the theatre ) files on a separate drive. I have 3 of these 8T drives so after 3 years I will delete the oldest and start again still having all the finished disc files and the h265 file. An 8T drive is $250. You could even keep the files on SDXC V30 256GB cards for about $40.

I do not see the point of consolidation as either I will want all the files to re-edit or a BLuray file will be enough to work with. Keeping the UHD full stage ( full wide view ) from the GH5 as h265 will give me the opportunity to recover anything I may have not included in the Bluray file. Video is a hobby for me so have no real obligation to clients to keep anything ( but I do of course !!! )

Threadripper 1920 stock clock 3.7, Gigabyte Designare X399 MB, 32G G.Skill 3200CL14, 500G M.2 SATA OS, 500G EVO 850 temp. 1T EVO 850 render, 6T Source, 2 x 1T NVME, MSI 1080Ti 11G , EVGA 850 G2, LG BLuray Burner, BM IP4K, WIN10 Pro

ASUS PB328 monitor, BenQ BL2711U 4K preview monitor, EDIUS 9.5 WG, Vegas 17, Resolve Studio 16

Cameras: GH5S, GH5, FDR-AX100, FDR-AX53, DJI OSMO Pocket, Atomos Ninja V
Old 08-28-2019, 10:12 PM   #18
Liverpool TV

Alessandro has simply asked a question about an Edius function that doesn't work as expected.

The function of consolidation has been around since the very first NLE, it is a function that is massively used in TV, drama and film for very obvious reasons.

I don't understand why people are saying that they do not use the function, or even saying "its really a pointless option". People not using this function or understanding why someone else would want to use it, has nothing to do with the issues with the function within Edius.

As I've already mentioned in another post. Edius has a number of options that may or may not be used by an individual. The use of these functions are there as a choice and if they are used, one would expect them to work as they should.

The questioning of someone's use of the consolidation function has nothing to do with the valid questioning of the function itself.

If you don't know the difference between Azimuth and Asimov, then either your tapes sound bad and your Robot is very dangerous. Kill all humans...... Or your tape deck won't harm a human, and your Robot's tracking and stereo imagining is spot on.

Is your Robot three laws safe?
Old 08-28-2019, 11:36 PM   #19
kpot

Quote:
Originally Posted by Liverpool TV View Post
... I don't understand why people are saying that they do not use the function, ...

Hi:

As far as I'm concerned, the answer is very simple:
I don't use this function because it doesn't work, because it's insecure or because it works "strange" (e.g. clip names transformed into illegible names).
regards kurt
Intel core i7-6700K / ASUS Z170A / 32 GB RAM / Intel HD Graphics 530 / SSD Systemdrive / Gigabyte GeForce GT 1070 / Win-10/64 Pro (V-1809) / EDIUS-9.51 (5619)-WG / Mercalli (V2, V4 and V5 Plugin/64bit) / Resolve-16.1.1 Studio / Zonealarm(Firewall etc) / ImgBurn / PowerDVD etc.
// Read > Test > Understand
Old 08-29-2019, 12:21 AM   #20
Liverpool TV

Quote:
Originally Posted by kpot View Post
Hi:

As far as I'm concerned, the answer is very simple:
I don't use this function because it doesn't work, because it's insecure or because it works "strange" (e.g. clip names transformed into illegible names).
regards kurt
Hi Kurt.

I understand what you've said and agree with it, I generally don't use it myself for the same reasons.

I'm talking about those who don't understand the use of the function or who have no use for it.

People talking about the cost of media for wholesale backup of all their rushes or for those who don't delete anything, of course consolidation isn't for them. I just don't understand the reason to mention workflows that don't benefit from consolidation when it doesn't help the OP.

If someone were talking about making DVD & BD from within Edius and they came across some of the issues that result in broken disks etc. I doubt it would help if others just come along saying that they personally have no use for DVD etc.

Cheers,
Dave.

If you don't know the difference between Azimuth and Asimov, then either your tapes sound bad and your Robot is very dangerous. Kill all humans...... Or your tape deck won't harm a human, and your Robot's tracking and stereo imagining is spot on.

Is your Robot three laws safe?
Closed Thread

Go Back   Grass Valley Forums > Editors > Editing with EDIUS