Grass Valley Forums Facebook   Twitter   YouTube  

Go Back   Grass Valley Forums > Converters > ProCoder

Old 03-04-2017, 10:45 PM   #1
audioresearch

Default Hope Someone Can Help with Question about the old DVRex system

I'm hoping someone here remembers information about the old Canopus DVRex system. This is somewhat related to the "Procoder" topic because the problem I am having is with trying to produce output files in the h 264/mp4 format.

When I capture video that runs for more than about 18 minutes using my DVRex along with the proprietary software that came with it, Rex Video, the output files (not sure I remember this right, but I think those files may be called "reference avi" files) produced seem to be pieced together using 2 or more shorter segments and I cannot play that file back using commonly available universal software such as VLC and SM Player.

Does anyone know if I can use software other than RexVideo (VirtualDub, Premiere, or whaever) with my DVRex that would allow the DVRex to ouput h 264/mp4 files with no restrictions on the running length which can be played with VLC & SM Player, etc?

Or, is there some type of hardware limitation of the DVRex which forces output files that run longer than about 18 minutes to be pieced together from shorter, apparently proprietary, video files?
audioresearch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2017, 01:49 AM   #2
BernH

Quote:
Originally Posted by audioresearch View Post
I'm hoping someone here remembers information about the old Canopus DVRex system. This is somewhat related to the "Procoder" topic because the problem I am having is with trying to produce output files in the h 264/mp4 format.

When I capture video that runs for more than about 18 minutes using my DVRex along with the proprietary software that came with it, Rex Video, the output files (not sure I remember this right, but I think those files may be called "reference avi" files) produced seem to be pieced together using 2 or more shorter segments and I cannot play that file back using commonly available universal software such as VLC and SM Player.

Does anyone know if I can use software other than RexVideo (VirtualDub, Premiere, or whaever) with my DVRex that would allow the DVRex to ouput h 264/mp4 files with no restrictions on the running length which can be played with VLC & SM Player, etc?

Or, is there some type of hardware limitation of the DVRex which forces output files that run longer than about 18 minutes to be pieced together from shorter, apparently proprietary, video files?
You don't mention your Windows version, but since you are talking DVRex, I will assume it is Win95/98/NT4, since those are the versions that it was specified to work with.

I never had a DVRex, but since it was from the Windows 95/98/NT4 era, it was restricted to a 2GB file size limit inherent in the FAT32 file system used at the time (some newer implementations of FAT32 allowed for 4GB). There is no way to overcome this limit on Windows 95/98. Windows NT/2000/XP/Vista/7/8/10 all use NTFS, which does not have that 2GB limit, but the software has to work with AVI Type 2 files in order to go past 4GB. The older Type 1 file, which I think the REX used, is limited to 4GB.

If your files are DV encoded, you are only going to get about 5 minutes per GB of file size. The avi reference files in the REX were essentially propietary play lists for multiple of these smaller size limited AVI files, but the player/encoder software has to be able to understand them in order to use them. I am not aware of any third party h264 encoders that can deal with them.

The MP4 format wasn't introduced until 2001, so I doubt you will find an encoder to work on Win95/98/NT4. There was an old version of Handbrake that ran on XP, but I don't know if it can read the REX AVI reference files, and I don't know if you will be able to coax it to install on NT4.
Edius WG 8.50.1998, Win 7 Ultimate SP1, i7-4790K @ 4GHz with HD4600 GPU embedded, MSI Z97 Gaming 7 Motherboard, 32GB Kingston HyperX RAM, nVidia GTX680 4GB GPU, Blackmagic Intensity Pro 4K, Corsair 750W PSU, Corsair H110i GT Water Cooler, 6TB Internal RAID 0 (3x2TB Seagate SATAIII HDD's, Win7 Software RAID), 1TB Seagate system HDD, Pioneer BDR-207D, Dual 1920x1080 monitors (one on GTX680 and one on Intel HD4600)
BernH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2017, 03:49 AM   #3
audioresearch

I got lucky. Even though trying to usde the DVRex Edit software to convert the reference avi files to mpeg cotinues to not work, it did work to convert to .wmv files and software players such as VLC play those files. So I think I'm all set now with this.

BTW, I have been running my DVRex on Win XP for many years and the video "chunks" files inside the reference video file set are all 4GB in size.

Thanks very much for your reply to my posting.
audioresearch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2017, 07:10 AM   #4
Thor

In the event that your reference files can't be "found" by the smaller main file, there is a Canopus Reference File Manager utility that will restore the connection.

Jon

#1: Iwill DK8N, 2 x 270 Opterons, 2 Gb RAM, WinXPPro-32, Edius 5.51, NX PCI-X & HDV Expansion, ProCoder 3, Imaginate 2, Sony WV-DR9, Sony EDV-9500, Sony GV-D200.
#2: Asus P5E, Q9400, WinXPPro-32, Edius 6.07, HD Spark
#3: Edius SP with Breakout Box, Win10, Edius 7.53
Thor is offline   Reply With Quote

Go Back   Grass Valley Forums > Converters > ProCoder