Grass Valley Forums Facebook   Twitter   YouTube  

Go Back   Grass Valley Forums > Converters > ADVC

Old 12-06-2013, 12:05 AM   #1
Tafflad

Default Canopus ADVC-1394 PCI OHCI AV/DV Capture Card DV Firewire

I previously used an ADVC300 for my VHS tape capture, but no longer have this.

I have 2 questions hope somone can answer ...

Is the "Canopus ADVC-1394 PCI OHCI AV/DV Capture Card DV Firewire" going to be as good a device for analogue capture ?

I need to capture PAL video (mainly from camcorder tapes) and ideally end up with uncompressed video or lossless AVI

Second (and obviously important) will the card work on W7 64bit ... are there drivers available ?
Tafflad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2013, 01:38 PM   #2
dpalomaki

Ref WIN 7 - check http://forum.grassvalley.com/forum/s...ad.php?t=13498

I would expect the capture quality to be similar to the ADVC300 (or 110 or 55).

And I would expect that the output is similar to the other ADVC series - a DV video stream which is by definition compressed (using intraframe compression, which makes it better for editing than, say AVCHD).

However, it is still much better than VHS offering 2x the luma bandwidth and perhaps 5x the chroma bandwidth. Makes it possible to much more precisely see how bad VHS really was by comparison to today's standards <G>. Capturing the VHS as uncompressed video is arguably a waste of disk space and will require a fast machine.
dpalomaki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2013, 02:17 PM   #3
Tafflad

Quote:
Originally Posted by dpalomaki View Post
Capturing the VHS as uncompressed video is arguably a waste of disk space and will require a fast machine.

My aim is to get .avi lossless, so I can then do some serious restoration work with Virtual Dub.
Once completed I drop into an NLE, edit up and then render as Meg2 for DVD ... so disk space not really an issue ..as it's only interim.

I have a plan B to use an ADVC 110 ... I'll put a separate post on that.
Tafflad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2013, 06:47 PM   #4
GrassValley_BH
Demystifier/Analogizer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tafflad View Post
My aim is to get .avi lossless, so I can then do some serious restoration work with Virtual Dub.
Once completed I drop into an NLE, edit up and then render as Meg2 for DVD ... so disk space not really an issue ..as it's only interim.
The data stream coming from the ADVC1394 is already compressed to Consumer DV format. There is no advantage to decompressing that data and storing it uncompressed or lossless. Whatever information was lost to the compression is gone and won't come back.

If you really want to capture uncompressed, I would look toward a TV capture card that does not use a hardware encoder, or one that lets you bypass the hardware encoder and get the incoming data unaltered.
GrassValley_BH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2013, 06:49 PM   #5
GrassValley_BH
Demystifier/Analogizer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tafflad View Post
Second (and obviously important) will the card work on W7 64bit ... are there drivers available ?
All the DV ADVC units use the operating system's native 1394 driver for AV/C-Compliant DV camera/deck. There is no vendor-supplied driver.
GrassValley_BH is offline   Reply With Quote

Go Back   Grass Valley Forums > Converters > ADVC