Grass Valley Forums Facebook   Twitter   YouTube  

Go Back   Grass Valley Forums > Converters > ADVC

Old 06-02-2019, 06:59 PM   #1
Merlin2504

Default Blackmagic Intensity shuttle Thunderbold or Canopus ADVC?

I need some advice from the pros here.
Since I can buy the Blackmagic Intensity shuttle thunderbold new and there is only Canopus ADVC used, I consider buying the Blackmagic.
Does anyone have experience with the 2 boxes and can give me tips? And if my reflection on the Blackmagic Intensity shuttle is worthwhile. Or if I deteriorate then quality. I want to digitize my analogue material (VHS, Hi8 etc.).

Greetings Klaus
Merlin2504 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2019, 10:41 PM   #2
dpalomaki

Which ADVC? The ADVC 100/110/300 etc. capture to DV format via firewire connection. Firewire is not common on new computers. DV format is good for editing, but not for serious restoration of analog video.

Some Intensity series products have issue with levels, but I'm not sure about the Shuttles though.

Are you interested in a simple digitization of SD analog material, or doing in some restoration work on the old formats as well?

Do you have a good VCR (certain S-VHS models tend to work best) and TBC for the capture chain?

You end goals for the video, budget, deadlines, and interest in getting involved with the technology (hardware and software), and willingmness to invest your time will in large part drive the recommendations.

FWIW: http://www.digitalfaq.com/forum/video/ is a site that focuses on transfer and restoration of consumer analog format video such as Beta, VHS, Video8, Hi8 and S-VHS to digital formats. The experts there as somewhat obsessive about affordable quality, but you may find it of interest if the highest possible quality is you agenda.
dpalomaki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2019, 06:46 AM   #3
Merlin2504

Thanks for your hints.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dpalomaki View Post
Which ADVC? The ADVC 100/110/300 etc. capture to DV format via firewire connection. Firewire is not common on new computers. DV format is good for editing, but not for serious restoration of analog video.
I work with an iMac that owns Thunderbold / Firewire.

Quote:
Some Intensity series products have issue with levels, but I'm not sure about the Shuttles though.
This is also written about the Blackmagic Shuttle. You should definitely switch an external TBC in front of it.

Quote:
Are you interested in a simple digitization of SD analog material, or doing in some restoration work on the old formats as well?
I'm also interested in restoring the videos. So not only on DVD and ready. I could also order this quality at every discount store.

Quote:
Do you have a good VCR (certain S-VHS models tend to work best) and TBC for the capture chain?
Here I already own a S-Video Panasonic FS200, which is a top model. I have only recently purchased this with a one-year warranty. TBC has this too.

Quote:
You end goals for the video, budget, deadlines, and interest in getting involved with the technology (hardware and software), and willingmness to invest your time will in large part drive the recommendations.
I have been working for a few years with a Pinnacle Movie Box Firewire. But this is a consumer device. And since I own the Canopus ADVC 500, I notice a qualitative difference. Only the Canopus ADVC 500 is already outdated. No in-house software (Picture Controller) runs more on the current systems (Apple or Windows 10)
That's why I inquired about the Blackmagic Intensive Shuttle Console. Also there is nothing positive written. For example, without an external device with TBC, there would only be dropouts. Very unstable would be the box, etc.
I would be interested to know if someone has already switched from Canopus to the Blackmagic. And whether it is worth the quality at all?

Greetings Klaus
Old 06-05-2019, 09:53 PM   #4
dpalomaki

Consumer analog video (e.g., VHS) is sloppy, and the signasls froma VCR are not well structured. Quality is hit or miss and depends on both the recorder and the playback unit. "Professional" capture devices expect a solid signal with good sync.

Also, recent production video capture gear, such as the Intensity series, has focused more on HD sources and the SD capabilities have fallen behind almost as an afterthought.

It seems that the best gear for capture of the old consumer analog formats is gear that was produced a decade or more ago. The site listed above can provide more information in depth.

While the Intensity series, and the ADVC series, can provide decent capture if you have a good signal chain for quick A to D projects. While many people find they meet their needs, they are not favored by the restoration obsessives. Ultimately is is your (and any clients) expectations that need to be met.
Old 06-06-2019, 12:57 PM   #5
Jerry

If the black levels are good in the TB Shuttle, then just adding a TBC would clean up the image.

I have an old USB Shuttle, and the black levels are good on it. The TB Shuttle is a totally different animal though.
If you own the Tutorials and you need help, PM me.

Vistitle YouTube Channel
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCMVlxC8Am4qFbkXJRoPAnMQ/videos

Windows 10 Pro up to v.1803 Tweaks for Edius Users
http://sgdvtutorials.com/WIN%2010%20...%20V.2.0.0.pdf

Main System: Azrock Z97 Extreme 6, 4790K@4.7Ghz, 32gb ram, Corsair H110, Win10 Pro 64, Samsung 850 pro, E7.5/8.5/E9 on separate SSD drives, HD Spark, Intensity Shuttle, 12tb RAID 0 on backplane ,2 BD, Benq 27 and Hanns-G 28 monitors, CC 2019, GTX 1080ti SC Black.
Both systems on Gigabit network
Second System: EditHD Ultimax-i7, X58, 980x@3.74, Corsair H80, Win764, 24gb ram, Storm 3g, Samsung 840 Pro 256, 4tb and 6tb RAID 0 on backplane, GTX 980ti Classified, Edius 9, Apple 30", Samsung 24", dual BD.
Jerry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2019, 02:44 PM   #6
dpalomaki

With the BM Intensity Pro and Pro 4K, the redesign for the Pro 4K messed up the SD levels, especially component. However, I do not know if the TB Shuttle shares the problematic stuff found in the Pro 4K.
Old 06-11-2019, 07:18 AM   #7
Merlin2504

I decided now for an ADVC 300.

Greetings Klaus

Go Back   Grass Valley Forums > Converters > ADVC