Grass Valley Forums Facebook   Twitter   YouTube  

Go Back   Grass Valley Forums > Editors > Editing with EDIUS

Old 06-06-2007, 12:59 PM   #1
sascho

Default Building new system for Edius 4.x & DVStorm

I am planning to build a new system around my "old" DVStorm card and my newly purchased Edius 4.0 Pro version. I used Edius 2.0 until now and edit videos as hobby rather than professionally, but I do get through quite a bit of footage over the course of the year (DV only at the moment, maybe HDV in future).

My question: Not having looked at hardware for a while now, what would you suggest as reasonably good components to achieve most effects in real time? I need the whole suit I guess, ie Processor, Motherboard, Video Card (2 Monitors), RAM and Hard Drives. I was hoping to spend max 500 for this, because as I said it's a serious one, but still just a hobby.

Thanks in advance.
Sascha
sascho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2007, 01:11 PM   #2
skier-hughes

My old pc which had a P4 hyperthreaded 3ghz processor with 2 gb dual ram and an fx5200 128mb graphics card worked very well, with 5+ layers of video, all transitions etc all working in real time.

So anything virtually in the coreduo or core2duo range will be no problem, but if you want a pc that will be vista compatible and work well, get a graphics card with plenty of ram, so at least 256mb.

XP will only use up to 2gb ram, so don't get any more than that.

HDD's that are 7200rpm will be fine, these days most mobo's will have sata connectors for hdd's, so opt for this type rather than normal ata, (ide).
No doubt you already know that one for the OS and all programmes and another for video or files is best.

Graham

Edius 4.61, NX Express, xp sp2
skier-hughes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2007, 06:09 PM   #3
sascho

Thanks a lot Graham.

In terms of the graphics card, I remember that the XPlode effects needed a powerful card at least in the past. Given that most graphics hardware is geared towards 3D rendering in games these days, what do I need to look for that's important for video rendering? I am a bit lost with these dozens of models out there.
sascho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2007, 06:17 PM   #4
Aristotelis

If your do a quick search on these forums you will find numerous threads about that...
A cheap ATI board will work just fine...Nowdays is not necessary to invest on a graphics card if the only think you need is to edit video fast...

Ctrl+Alt+Delete
Aristotelis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2007, 06:18 PM   #5
T-Bone

like this one:
http://ediusforum.grassvalley.com/fo...read.php?t=447

also determine whther you have a newer 3.3 volt Storm card, or an older 5 volt card - if you have a 5 volt, it may limit your motherboard choices - I wish we had that thread from the old forum
edius pro 8.2, win10 pro x64, i7 5930K @ 4.4 on asus X99-A usb3.1, corsair h100i gtx with noctua fans, 32G gskill ddr4, gtx 980 4G, system 256G samsung ssd 950 pro M.2, swap 128G samsung ssd 850 pro, general use 512G samsung ssd 850 pro, video 4 @ 3T WD red pro in raid 5
T-Bone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2007, 08:31 PM   #6
GrassValley_BH
Demystifier/Analogizer

5-volt-only PCI boards have "notch" in the card edge farther from the bracket, like this:
<--Bracket [=========#==]

5-volt PCI slots have "hump" in the slot farther from the bracket, like this:
<--Bracket [=========#==]

3.3-volt-only PCI boards have "notch" in the card edge closer to the bracket, like this:
<--Bracket [==#=========]

3.3-volt PCI slots have "hump" in the slot closer to the bracket, like this:
<--Bracket [==#=========]

Universal (3.3v/5v) PCI boards have card edge with one "notch" closer to the bracket, and one farther from the bracket.
<--Bracket [==#======#==]

As far as I am aware, there is no "universal" PCI slot, slots are either 3.3v or 5v.
GrassValley_BH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2007, 11:37 PM   #7
jthomas

I built a system using the Gigabyte P965- DQ6 which has 5 volt physical PCI slots but some on the old forum were concerned it still might not support 5 volt cards. I never did try the DvStorm in that system because my wife took it from me.

I am now building one with the Gigabyte P35-DQ6 and hope to use the DvStorm in it for a while. I emailed Gigabyte about the PCI slots supporting 5 volts and got this reply.

(Dear Customer,

Yes, the PCI slots on the GA-P35-DQ6 will accept 5V PCI cards.

Thank you for choosing Gigabyte products)
jthomas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2007, 12:02 AM   #8
STORMDAVE

Isn't the DVStorm2 (the second one) compatible with both types of slots? I'm not sure.
STORMDAVE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2007, 12:20 AM   #9
GrassValley_BH
Demystifier/Analogizer

Quote:
Originally Posted by STORMDAVE View Post
Isn't the DVStorm2 (the second one) compatible with both types of slots? I'm not sure.
Newer rev DVStorm2, yes.
Some of the early ones may not be.
GrassValley_BH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2007, 03:34 AM   #10
bhmm9999

What is the rev# I should look for on an older compatable Storm2?
Thanks,
bob
bhmm9999 is offline   Reply With Quote

Go Back   Grass Valley Forums > Editors > Editing with EDIUS