Grass Valley Forums Facebook   Twitter   YouTube  

Go Back   Grass Valley Forums > Editors > Editing with EDIUS

Old 05-17-2008, 06:56 PM   #1
keyzone72

Hello everyone,

I am very new to video editing and have lots of questions. For starter, I have a Canon HF10 that records in the AVCHD format. The picture quality is very good (at least to me) and my current PC is just not able to do any editing with these files. I purchased a copy of Procoder 3 to convert the files into other formats with the intention of editing these files in either Vegas Pro 8 or Final Cut Pro. While doing my reseach on workstations, I called Grass Valley and after answering my Procoder 3 questions, they introduced me to the Grass Valley Ediius NX express hardware system.

Question #1: Who would you say the target customer is for Edius products, versus Sony Vegas Pro 8, Final Cut Pro and Adobe Premiere Pro?

Question #2: When it comes to the software interface and functionality, what are the advantages of going with Edius Pro 4.5 instead of going with Vegas video Pro 8, Adobe Premiere Pro or Final Cut Pro?

Question #3: I really want to be able to have a real-time preview of the 1920 x 1080 HD content I am editing on an external HD flat panel display. Assuming I am running a fast workstation (like a dual quad-core Intel system), what are your thoughts on going with a Vegas Pro 8 or Final Cut Pro running a Black Magic Intensity card (HDMI), versus the Edius Pro NX Express solution with it's real-time (component video out) card?

Question #4: Since the source material is AVCHD, but I have Procoder 3, what file format would be best to work with if I go with the Edius Pro 4.5 or if I go wth Sony Vegas Pro 8, Final Cut Pro or Adobe Premiere Pro?

Question #5: In your experience, what would be the MINIMUM processer, ram and hard drive recommendations to be able to do basic editing and rendering with the native file format you recommend from the previous question?

Question #6: Whether I go with a true PC workstation or a Mac Pro, is it worth the money to go all out and get a dual-quad core system and lots of ram? (I know that Grass Valley does not support MAC Pro computers)

Question #7: For those of you running Edius Pro 4.5 NX Express on a MAC Pro with boot camp, how many processors/cores and how much ram does Edius Pro 4.5 make use of? I ask because form what I've read on these forums, Windows XP only sees about 2 gigs of memory even if there is more on the MAC Pro.

Question #8: For those of you NOT running a MAC Pro, how many processors/cores are you running, what operating system are you running and why?

Question #9: What DVD authoring program are you using (or recommend) to create AVCHD discs, Blu-ray, or even HD-DVD discs? (yes, I know HD-DVD is dead)

Question #10: Since the Edius Pro 4.5 NX Express uses BNC connectors on the real-time component out card, can a BNC to RCA converter cable be used to pass the HD video out to a 1080p flat panel monitor that has RCA component inputs (but no BNC component inputs)?

Like I said before, I am new to video editing, but I'm willing to make the investment in a powerful new computer and a poweful editing system. I want a system that is friendly to use, is responsive while editing and offers practical render times. Lastly, I really want to be able to see a real-time preview of the HD 1920 x 1080 content I am editing on an external monitor, no matter what system I go with.

I know these are lots of questoins, but I really could use your expertise in making a solid decision on which system to go with. If you 'd like to add any additional recommendations, please share.

Thanks everyone.

Robert Sermeño

Last edited by keyzone72; 05-17-2008 at 08:05 PM.
keyzone72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2008, 02:46 AM   #2
antonsvideo

I will answer Q10

you can use real BNC to BNC cable and then use BNC to RCA adaptor $2 at radio shack or Tandy etc

or you can use BNC to RCA cable if you can buy it long enough

I make my own BNC to BNC cables from proper RG59U shielded cable (available in 100m or 300" reels here)

Buy yourself a Crimp Tool and connectors and boots and Bob will be your uncle
http://www.videoproductions.com.au/e.../BNC-Tools.jpg

EDIUS 9 WG with Matrox MXO2, Gigabyte X299 UD4 Pro, Intel Core i9 9960X 16 Core, 32 Threads @ 4.3Ghz, Corsair Water Cooling, Gigabyte RTX-2070 Super 3X 8GB Video Card, Samsung 860 Pro 512GB SSD for System, 8TB Samsung Raid0 SSD for Video, 2 Pioneer BDR-209 Blu-ray/DVD burners, Hotswap Bay for 3.5" Sata and 2.5" SSD, Phanteks Enthoo Pro XL Tower, Corsair 32GB DDR4 Ram, Win10 Pro
antonsvideo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2008, 04:12 AM   #3
Fred Dwyer

You need to talk to these guys. They have the answers and will help you.
Win 7 Pro-64 bit, EDIUS Workgroup 8.5, Intel Ivy Bridge i5, ASUS P8Z77-V-LK, 8GB Kningston DDR3, Pioneer BDR-209UBK, EVGA NVIDEA GEForce GT630, Corsair TX750M 750w Power Supply, 4 WD Black HDD for 3.15TB, ACEDVIO, Spark HD, eSATA controller, ANTEC 300 case.
Fred Dwyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2008, 06:22 AM   #4
UlfLaursen

I think Fred is right.

I think it takes a long time when you are new to find out which system to choose.

I have been editing for some years now on different editing programs, and before I started to use Edius a few month back, I downloadet the trial version and played with it a lot before ordering the package.

My advice would be to talk to the videoguys and to download trialverisons og the different packages and simply try them out.

When new to a program, I think it is essential that you have a good community to go to when you are in trouble, and this one here sure is great! I have already had a lot of help on Edius from the people over here - and in my book it counts a lot in the whole picture.

/Ulf
Second system: i7 970, 3.2 GHz, 24 GB RAM, Asus P6T, Samsung 840 Pro 120 GB systemdrive, 4 x WD 1TB in raid 5, 1 WD 500 GB for exports, Asus GTX 460 Win 7 64.
Third system: Dell Precision M4600, i7 3.2 GHz, 16 GB RAM, Nvidia Quadro 2GB, 2 x SSD, win 7 64 Pro.

Edius 7.01 & 6.54 & - VisTitle 2
UlfLaursen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2008, 12:08 PM   #5
drgagx

My opinion on some of your questions, bearing in mind that I have not yet made the change to AVCHD - tho I intend to when it has matured a little more:
Q1 the primary focus is, probably, professional users for all of these suppliers; but they also are used by those, like me, who do this as a hobby for fun and interest.
Q2 I only know the Edius interface. It is relatively easy to learn and I have found it to be very reliable. The feature set is not as comprehensive as the others - Vegas offers more built in audio, and, I believe, FCP and Adobe offer more effects.
Q4 For satisfactory editing performance it is advisable to convert AVCHD to an internediate codec; within Edius this is the Canopus HQ codec.
Q5 Go for the fastest processor you can find. Also bear in mind you will need big, fast (Sata) hard drives. My latest system was purchased with AVCHD in mind.
Old 05-18-2008, 02:11 PM   #6
WedonVideo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fred Dwyer View Post
You need to talk to these guys. They have the answers and will help you.
They can't help you - they don't do Edius any more.

==============================
i7-860 Quad-Core, ASUS P7P55D-E PRO, 4Gig Corsair Dominator DDR3-1600, ASUS ATi Sapphire Radeon HD 4850, VIA HD Onboard Audio, SonyDRU-840A, LG SuperMulti Blue - Blu-ray Rewriter GGW-H20L, Promise FastTrac TX4310 SATA RAID Card with 3x1TB Seagate SATA2 Raid5, Seagate SATA2 250Gig & Seagate SATA2 1TB, XPPro SP3, EDIUS HDSpark V5.12
WedonVideo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2008, 03:46 AM   #7
Ron Evans

My experience with AVCHD ( have SR7 and SR11) on a AMD dual core 4200X2 ( old now!!) is that I need a new computer!!! What ever you do with AVCHD requires changing the format if you want to view on SD equipment etc. If you convert to an intermediate like Canopus HQ it will take time, use disc space. On my old machine it takes maybe 6 times realtime and uses 4 to 6 times hard drive space. My preference at the moment for family videos is to edit native in Vegas 8 which will happily edit HDV and AVCHD on the timeline. The render time to MPEG2 for DVD is not much longer than conversion to HQ and then rendering to MPEG2 after edit and uses a lot less hard drive space. IF I just want cuts editing I stay with the Sony Browser software that comes with the Sony cameras that will produce an AVCHD disc or a SD DVD with simple menus and is a lot faster than the "Pro" NLE's!!! I think we are a generation away form AVCHD capable NLE's at the moment reminds me of HDV the first year. With fast Quad core PC's and NLE's moving to 64 bit like Vegas 64, hard drives like the VelociRaptor, later in the year things may change quite a bit in terms of performance. I have also used Elecard converter to convert to HDV that has been the fastest conversion to something I can edit native with on my present computer( took about 2.5 times realtime which is faster than my computer will convert to HQ) Edius will happily edit native HDV in multicam.

Ron Evans
Ron Evans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2009, 07:11 AM   #8
gdame

Robert,

Give me a call and I will provide you a personal consultation.

508-740-6024
Get Your Copy of The Edius 6 Comprehensive Tutorial by contacting me via PM, email or phone
Invite us to your local video association for a full demonstration!
www.editHD.com - 1-877-ieditDV
gdame is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2009, 05:00 PM   #9
ATL Media Group

Quote:
Originally Posted by keyzone72 View Post
Hello everyone,

Question #1: Who would you say the target customer is for Edius products, versus Sony Vegas Pro 8, Final Cut Pro and Adobe Premiere Pro?
Same target. Although it can be said more news gathering editing is done with GV and now Edius.

Quote:
Question #2: When it comes to the software interface and functionality, what are the advantages of going with Edius Pro 4.5 instead of going with Vegas video Pro 8, Adobe Premiere Pro or Final Cut Pro?
Not enough room to discuss this here.

Quote:
Question #6: Whether I go with a true PC workstation or a Mac Pro, is it worth the money to go all out and get a dual-quad core system and lots of ram? (I know that Grass Valley does not support MAC Pro computers)
It's ALWAYS best to get the fastest, most powerful computer you can afford when it comes to editing video.

Quote:
Question #8: For those of you NOT running a MAC Pro, how many processors/cores are you running, what operating system are you running and why?
Quad, Windows 7-64 RC1 which seems REALLY good and stable. Not to mention MUCH faster than Vista was on the same box.

Quote:
Question #9: What DVD authoring program are you using (or recommend) to create AVCHD discs, Blu-ray, or even HD-DVD discs? (yes, I know HD-DVD is dead)
Encore CS4
ATL Media Group is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2009, 06:03 PM   #10
tuyle

If you plan to edit with HD (1920x1080) then ... build the system like Anton (check his signature for the system spec).
tuyle is offline   Reply With Quote

Go Back   Grass Valley Forums > Editors > Editing with EDIUS