Grass Valley Forums Facebook   Twitter   YouTube  

Go Back   Grass Valley Forums > Editors > EDIUS: Compatible Hardware and Accessories

Old 09-11-2017, 01:08 PM   #11
oswaldbobb

True, I have been a system integrator since DV Raptor with Canopus and throughout all the Canopus hardware into Grassvalley hardware. But what has got me stomped is editing in 4k, all my clients are still shooting in HD and the systems I build are of the Z series with quick sync, and everybody is happy, but I decided to jump into shooting 4k also and found out the hardware etc is a whole new world. X series etc, no quick sync etc. I wanted to be ready for any new client that wanted to edit in 4k. I am afraid to invest in hardware for a system for 4k with all these this and that, use this or use that, Buying computer parts in New York, we buy from a retailer called Micro Center, we have a 30 day return on computer parts, but it is still not easy experimenting, I'm getting too old for all this stuff.
oswaldbobb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2017, 08:50 PM   #12
JohnnyD

Quote:
Originally Posted by oswaldbobb View Post
But remember with Canopus they provided us with the list of motherboards, graphics cards etc, because their tech guys got involved. With Grassvalley tech guys they are all laid back. They leave all the work to you guys in the forum to help.
I remember those days. Even then, their hardware list was outdated. I used newer hardware that wasn't on the list.
JohnFellersProd
JohnnyD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2017, 02:40 AM   #13
dpalomaki

The industry and products change to fast to maintain a current list of "approved" hardware, especially for moderate priced software sold to the larger market. About the only specified items are the OS and processor families supported, and storage (RAM and HD) minimums.

If Edius was a $30K product it might come with a specific and short, probably very expensive, list of supported systems.
dpalomaki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2017, 12:32 PM   #14
BernH

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnnyD View Post
I remember those days. Even then, their hardware list was outdated. I used newer hardware that wasn't on the list.
When I used to work full time as an intergrator for all the major NLE manufacturers, there were indeed approved hardware lists, but as you say, these lists were often outdated very shortly after the release of the NLE product, with much of the hardware discontinued by the time you were building a system.

I would normally use the list as a guide, making "educated guesses" to find a formula that worked, and then stick to that formula for as long as you could. It usually worked ok since systems were built around accelerator cads back then, and if you found the magic motherboard manufacturer/chipset combination that worked well for the accelerator you were good to go.

Now all the work is put on the motherboard/CPU/GPU combo, so it makes the possible combinations almost endless. Not to mention that hardware has been changing faster than it used to.

The best advice I can give is to do the research on the forum to see what is working for other people, and use their configuration as a guide. The motherboard is still the most important thing to consider in my opinion, as all data has to flow through it efficiently, so you want one that is known to perform well and give the right mix of I/O connections for you. Then you want to build on that with the CPU, RAM and GPU that will perform the best without breaking your budget, making sure that combo gives the features you are looking for. (ie. quicksync, number cpu cores, cpu speed, hyperthreading, cuda cores, etc.)
Edius WG 9.52.5886, various 3rd party plugins, VisTitle 2.8.0.5, Win 7 Ultimate SP1, i7-4790K @ 4GHz with HD4600 GPU embedded, MSI Z97 Gaming 7 Motherboard, 32GB Kingston HyperX RAM, nVidia GTX680 4GB GPU, Matrox MX02 Mini MAX, Corsair 750W PSU, Corsair H110i GT Water Cooler, Corsair C70 case, 4TB Internal RAID 0/stripe (2x2TB Seagate SATAIII HDD's, Win7 Software RAID 0/stripe), 1TB Crucial MX500 SSD, Pioneer BDR-207D, Dual 1920x1080 monitors (one on GTX680 and one on Intel HD4600).
BernH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2017, 07:02 PM   #15
noafilm

In the following weeks I am going to buy a new pc but was waiting for the I7 8700k to come out, I"m now able to stretch my budget though and go for a 1950x threadripper system but not sure how much benefit that will give me for editing 4K25p 10bit files from my GH5 compared to the 8700k because the 1950x is missing any quicksync acceleration.

Are there any 1950x users here that could share their experience about that CPU? Is it worth the extra investment?
noafilm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2017, 12:29 AM   #16
Claire

Quote:
Originally Posted by noafilm View Post
In the following weeks I am going to buy a new pc but was waiting for the I7 8700k to come out, I"m now able to stretch my budget though and go for a 1950x threadripper system but not sure how much benefit that will give me for editing 4K25p 10bit files from my GH5 compared to the 8700k because the 1950x is missing any quicksync acceleration.

Are there any 1950x users here that could share their experience about that CPU? Is it worth the extra investment?
Not sure is this is helpful, I have the GH5, an i7-5960X computer (8 cores/16 threads) but no quicksync and Edius WG just manages to edit two tracks of GH5 23.976p 10bit 4:2:2.

One track plays smoothly in full 10bit res including with a PCC filter applied. I can add a second track to make a pip and it still plays fine. However if I add a PCC to clips on the second track I have to drop from full to full 8 bit res. It does play from a standing start, no need to preload the buffer and transitions don't cause any faltering.

A third track is too much. It will play but I have to disable all filters and drop to 1/2 res otherwise the buffer quickly runs out and everything stops.

I have not tried multicam yet but I don't think four cameras is going to work with these clips!

Edius 8.53 Workgroup, DVC Built i7 5960X 8 core Haswell-E Unlocked, Win10 Pro 64 bit, Gigabyte GA-X99-UD4, 32GB DDR4 RAM, RTX 2080 Ti 11GB, Decklink 4K Extreme 12G, TMPGEnc Movie Plug-in AVC, Eizo 31" ColorEdge CG319X HDR 4K monitor
Claire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2017, 08:33 AM   #17
noafilm

Thx, everything is helpful :) I was hoping to find more feedback from multicore users, the 1950x is currently around the same price as your i7-5960X but has double the amount of cores. I think like everyone else I prefer a smooth 4K editing experience but rendertimes matter even more.

For every project I do I have to render about 2 hours worth of footage out to HQXAVI files but also to a high bitrate HD MP4 and a low bitrate HD MP4 file and a 4K MP4 file using TMPGEnc Movie Plug-in AVC. Then I also have to build a blu-ray using those HQXAVI files with tmpgenc authoringworks so in total that's 10 hours worth of 4K footage need to be rendered.

Currently on my i7 4790k Quicksync helps a lot but I notice that it slows down in speed after 1 hour of rendering, maybe because the gpu is overheating? I also use an ancient winfast pxvc1100 card that helps to cut down rendertime for my blu-ray build in tmpgenc authoringworks to twice realtime speed.

I"m currently not sure if that 16core pc is able to outdo render performance compared to my current setup and if so, by how much. If it's only a bit faster then getting the i7 8700k will be a much better investment considering how much cheaper that one is.

I"m also not sure how realtime playback is affected when you compare a higher clocked 6 core cpu and quicksync assist to a lower clocked 16 core cpu with no quicksync.

So many questions but have not been able to find a definite answer before "wasting" all that money. :)
Old 10-03-2017, 02:21 PM   #18
Bassman

Noa, this is a complicated topic. I see it as two sided:

Do you want exceptional native timeline performance while editing or exceptional export times?

There is a middle ground but that depends upon what codecs and resolutions you use. There is also the option of converting all of your footage to HQX for editing. Always butter smooth on most systems but requires a lot of hard drive space.

1) The Threadripper will be a massively great exporter but only a decent timeline performer. But, if you need to convert to HQX it will do this very quickly. $999.

2) The 8700 will be a good exporter with x264 and the usual QS exporter but might be a better timeline performer due to clock speed. $400.

3) The 7900x will be an all around improvement from your 4790 with a decent overclock. $999.

If you want to send me some native files I will put them in Edius and let you know how many layers I can playback and some general export times for the 7900x. That can give you a baseline to start sorting this out.
Old 10-03-2017, 04:40 PM   #19
Ron Evans

I am in a similar position Noa. Current thoughts are that an overclocked 8700K may be my solution. One has to look at what other software you use. Resolve will use the extra CPU and GPU so if you use that a lot it may well be worth the extra cost. However if timeline playback in EDIUS ( or even Vegas now ) is the issue then I suspect that an overclocked 8700K with Quicksync may take some beating for the cost. Having a fast GPU ( necessary for any of the 8 core or above parts ) could even out the encode performance as TMPGenc would use this for encode. I am happy with Quicksync for my Bluray encodes so for me the 8700K is looking like an $800 upgrade compared to about $3500 for a complete new system !!! Looks like another year will bring the next generation of CPU's with even smaller geometries. Intel parts will likely need yet another motherboard but we know that the AMD Threadripper parts will stay with the current socket/motherboard. With this in mind the 8 core Threadripper could be an interim solution though this will likely not be competitive with the 8700K.

Threadripper 1920 stock clock 3.7, Gigabyte Designare X399 MB, 32G G.Skill 3200CL14, 500G M.2 SATA OS, 500G EVO 850 temp. 1T EVO 850 render, 6T Source, 2 x 1T NVME, MSI 1080Ti 11G , EVGA 850 G2, LG BLuray Burner, BM IP4K, WIN10 Pro

ASUS PB328 monitor, BenQ BL2711U 4K preview monitor, EDIUS 9.5 WG, Vegas 17, Resolve Studio 16

Cameras: GH5S, GH5, FDR-AX100, FDR-AX53, DJI OSMO Pocket, Atomos Ninja V x 2
Ron Evans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2017, 06:53 PM   #20
noafilm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bassman View Post
If you want to send me some native files I will put them in Edius and let you know how many layers I can playback and some general export times for the 7900x. That can give you a baseline to start sorting this out.
Thx a lot, that would be great!

I have uploaded 5 short files with a total length of just over a minute from my GH5 in 4K25p10bit, the files are straight from the card. see below for the dropboxlink.

If you have the time I would be interested to see if you create a 1920x1080p 25p 10bit project, load these 5 files and make the length exactly one minute and export to a CBR 25mbs 1080p file with quality set to "normal" in Edius own exporter.
And then the same but in a 4K 25p 10 bit project and render out to a CBR 100mbs 4K file with quality set to "normal" in Edius own exporter..

The results I get with my i7 4790k with quicksync are:

From the HD project to a HD file: 49 sec
From the 4K project to a 4K file: 62 sec

Multicam is not possible reailtime, it stutters as soon as I add a second layer. One layer plays fine in the HD project but stutters in the 4K project.

If anyone else wants to try, below files are free to use.

https://www.dropbox.com/sh/cpblbmvjw...RQiaWCLZa?dl=0

Go Back   Grass Valley Forums > Editors > EDIUS: Compatible Hardware and Accessories