Grass Valley Forums Facebook   Twitter   YouTube  

Go Back   Grass Valley Forums > Editors > EDIUS: Compatible Hardware and Accessories

Old 07-04-2012, 08:20 PM   #1
Geoff_C

Default Cannot use 'hardware encoding' rendering to H.264/AVC

Kit: Asus P8Z68-V-Pro MB with i7 2600K processor. Drivers & bios up-to-date
iGPU multi monitor enabled in bios & 'Lucid Virtu' installed and enabled with Edius.exe added to the application list.
GeForce GTX550ti graphics card. W7 64bit ProSP1 & Edius 6.07

My screens are mixed 1 widescreen & 1 older 4:3 screen, normally both are connected to the GTX graphics card and I would not expect hardware encoding to function.

Widescreen now transferred to onboard graphics via DVI. Open Edius and greeted with 'This version has expired' message. OK to close. Now disable 'Virtu', fire up edius again which now opens correctly but again no hardware encoding is available. This is to be expected.

Swap screens over, enable virtu , open edius which now opens correctly, but again hardware encoding is not an option.

I have read the GV notes regarding 'quick sync' and watched the DVC video. Clearly I have missed a trick somewhere. Please point me in the right direction.

Geoff
Geoff_C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2012, 09:08 PM   #2
burnandreturn

You do not need the virtu software to use the Quicksync. I don't even have it installed on my computer.

When you open your display properties do you see two monitors listed?

Which type desktop do you have selected? Without Edius opened do you have your desktop on both monitors?
Edius 8 Workgroup, Intel 3770K, Asus P8Z77-V Motherboard, 32GB DDR3 1600 ram, SSD for C, external Raid box with WE RE4 1TB drives Raid 0 for video assets. Overclocked 4.3ghz, Asus GTX 660 ti, water cooled system. Windows 10 Professional 64bit
burnandreturn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2012, 10:14 PM   #3
Geoff_C

I only see two monitors if I connect both monitors to the graphics card via DVI or both to the onboard graphic via 1xDVI & 1xVGA. Otherwise nVidia control panel shows one display. I can access the onboard graphics via Intel in the control panel.
My initial take was that virtu was not needed but I loaded it in an attempt to get quick sync to work after reading the Asus MB manual.

I can spread Edius over both monitors.

The problem may relate to the fact that the monitors do not have the same resolution. The smaller 4:3 monitor has both vga & DVI inputs.
Old 07-05-2012, 05:57 AM   #4
NakedEye

Hi Geoff

Can you try this... download the latest driver from your Asus motherboards website and install it then shutdown your PC. Disconnect your monitor from the motherboard graphics port and connect it back to the discreet graphics board and boot. Download and install the latest version of Virtu and add Edius to its program list. Now what happens in Edius export options... is hardware available for h.264?

You could also try this... do the driver thing as above. remove Virtu and shutdown system... connect 1 screen to the motherboard graphics adapter and boot.. when back in windows right click your desktop and from the context menu left click "screen resolution" once in the screen resolution window click the detect button to bring up your monitors and close. Now open Edius and see what you have in export options... is hardware available for h.264.

If niether of these work for you then check that the BIOS is set correctly and after that it may mean working through driver versions.

Best
Dave.
Main Editor - Edius 8.53 AdobeCC Mini Monitor 4K Intel X99P SLI Intel Core i7 6800K CPU Gigabyte GTX980 SanDisk Ultra Video SSD 1XINTEL System SSD 16GB Kingston DDR4 2400 RAM VisTitle 2.8 Onboard Sound 10GBE LAN WIN10Pro 64bit

Encoding - Gigabyte Z97X Gaming GT Intel 4790K CPU Gigabyte GTX550Ti Gigabyte GTX980 Western Digital HDD's LG Blu-ray drive, 16GB Kingston DDR3 1600 RAM BMD Mini Monitor 4K Edius 8.53 Creative Cloud Win 10 64bit Pro
www.nakedeyedv.com
NakedEye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2012, 09:50 AM   #5
David Clarke

Have you checked in the bios to make sure the intel graphic card is st to always enable - and not being disabled when you plug in the graphic card?

How much memory have you allocated to the Intel card? I normally to over 200MB. The top setting (of about 384) did cause me problems on a system in the past, but slightly lower settings worked.
Desktop: 2Ghz 12 core Xeon processor, 32GB RAM, nVidia 1060, BM Intensity Pro, Windows 10
David Clarke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2012, 05:18 PM   #6
Geoff_C

Bios & drivers: Latest from Asus. Onboard graphics memory increased from 64M to 256M
Screens connect to graphics board. Virtu enabled in bios. (will not install unless enabled), Edius added to program list. Open Edius and 'vitu' logo showing in preview. Select a portion of timeline and print to h.264 file. Hardware encoder not available.
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Virto removed and rebooted. Screen 1 now connected to motherboard and detected. Edius opens but hardware encoding is not an option. The bios options are limited. For the purpose of this test only intel graphic is enabled. I can connect up to 3 screens via DVI,HDMI or vga. Have tried 2 screens and have a working extended desk top selected. The Edius timeline can be extended across both screens.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Virtu enabled in bios and reinstalled and rebooted. Edius added to apps list
Primary screen to graphics card, second screen to onboard graphics. nVidia control panel identifies one screen and Intel graphics identifies the second screen. Open edius and virtu logo is present but h.264 encoding not an option.

Just a couple of dumb questions.
1)Timeline: CanopusHQ from HDV camcorder. Am I starting from the wrong file format?
2)Hardware encoder check box: Should this normally show but can only be checked if quick sync is available or does it only present itself when quick sync is available.
Thanks for your help Geoff
Old 07-05-2012, 07:53 PM   #7
burnandreturn

When you go to Control panel>hardware>display>adjust screen resolution do you see two monitors One and two?
Edius 8 Workgroup, Intel 3770K, Asus P8Z77-V Motherboard, 32GB DDR3 1600 ram, SSD for C, external Raid box with WE RE4 1TB drives Raid 0 for video assets. Overclocked 4.3ghz, Asus GTX 660 ti, water cooled system. Windows 10 Professional 64bit
burnandreturn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2012, 08:08 PM   #8
Geoff_C

Quote:
Originally Posted by burnandreturn View Post
When you go to Control panel>hardware>display>adjust screen resolution do you see two monitors One and two?
Two. If I use nVidia cp I see 1, likewise Intel graphics & media shows 1.
All correct & present.

Geoff
Old 07-05-2012, 11:11 PM   #9
NakedEye

Hi Geoff... a silly question but what file format are you exporting to.... AVC/H.264?

Also the hardware checkbox only shows up when either FCB or Quick Sync is an option... at least here anyhow.

I am sorry I do not know your motherboard but maybe David from DVC has some insight here.

I do not use Virtu personaly but have tested it with Gigabyte and Intel boards and there seems to be two scenarios that work. Either have a screen connected to the onboard graphics chip and have Virtu disabled and uninstalled for access to hardware encoding in Edius6.07 or have both screens connected to your discreet graphics and have Virtu enabled and installed with Edius 6.07 added to Virtu's program list. Virtu effectively gives you access to the onboard graphics chip without having to have a monitor connected physically to it through virtualisation technology.

Of course with some motherboards the graphics driver revision is key... with Gigabyte boards for example quick sync only seems to work when the driver from Gigabyte is used and not the latest from Intel.

Best
Dave.
Main Editor - Edius 8.53 AdobeCC Mini Monitor 4K Intel X99P SLI Intel Core i7 6800K CPU Gigabyte GTX980 SanDisk Ultra Video SSD 1XINTEL System SSD 16GB Kingston DDR4 2400 RAM VisTitle 2.8 Onboard Sound 10GBE LAN WIN10Pro 64bit

Encoding - Gigabyte Z97X Gaming GT Intel 4790K CPU Gigabyte GTX550Ti Gigabyte GTX980 Western Digital HDD's LG Blu-ray drive, 16GB Kingston DDR3 1600 RAM BMD Mini Monitor 4K Edius 8.53 Creative Cloud Win 10 64bit Pro
www.nakedeyedv.com
NakedEye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2012, 10:45 AM   #10
David Clarke

We use Gigabyte board and not ASUS - although generally what works on the gigabyte is the same on the ASUS. I will see if my tech guys have more info than me on the ASUS.

Everything written above is correct.

On your other questions:

1)Timeline: CanopusHQ from HDV camcorder. Am I starting from the wrong file format?
We supply capture presets for HDV which can do HDV into either Canopus HQ or as it came off the camera, in Native HDV (MPEG2) - which I assume you are using. I tend to capture everything as native HDV these days and as long as your system is not 6 years old it works fine. The one issue we have had with HDV is inaccurate batch capturing - which we do not get with HQ footage. There is no real downside to capturing in HQ apart from it taking more space and the general principle that you don't want to change footage if you don't have to.

2)Hardware encoder check box: Should this normally show but can only be checked if quick sync is available or does it only present itself when quick sync is available.

You only see the tickbox if hardware encoding is enabled. You don't need Virtu just need the monitors plugged in the right places, the right Intel graphic card drivers and exporting using the AVC/H264 or Blu-ray settings or exporting using the disc creator.
Desktop: 2Ghz 12 core Xeon processor, 32GB RAM, nVidia 1060, BM Intensity Pro, Windows 10
David Clarke is offline   Reply With Quote

Go Back   Grass Valley Forums > Editors > EDIUS: Compatible Hardware and Accessories