Grass Valley Forums Facebook   Twitter   YouTube  

Go Back   Grass Valley Forums > Editors > EDIUS: Compatible Hardware and Accessories

Old 12-06-2011, 04:11 PM   #1
Philip Howells

Default BCF2000 disappointment

I'm a new and generally satisfied convert from Liquid to Edius. However, it's very disappointing to find elements/features within the program that are either not actually supported, about which little or nothing is written or are so finicky that they remain unused to all intents and purposes.

In my particular case it's the BCF2000 control surface. As someone who pushed faders across a 24 channel desk long before anyone thought of motorising them, I've long felt that sound is something best mixed with fingers on faders rather than clutching a mouse. Not everyone's choice I accept but an element which attracted me to Edius.

I managed to find a BCF2000 at reasonable cost but that's about all. The Edius manual is brief on the subject to say the least and the Behringer paperwork even more lacking. By trawling the forums I find that most people have abandoned any attempt to get the two things to work together and I guess Im going to have to put the BCF2000 back on eBay and pout any loss down to experience.

A valued feature has turned out to be a frustrating disappointment.
Philip Howells is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2011, 06:49 PM   #2
John Hooper

Hi Philip,

I don't know if I can help much as I don't have the Behringer, but what problems have you had? Does the Behringer appear as a device within Edius?

I take it you have visted the Behringer website for documentation (although not specifically for Edius) and tried the templates that are there?

Have you installed the USB Midi driver from the Behringer website?

I have a Fadermaster 4/100 which works well, but I have to admit I don't use it that much.
Edius 8.53WG, Vistitle 2.8, Windows 10 x64 Pro Fall Update, Asus Z87 Pro, Intel i7-4770K, 16 GB 1600 Corsair Vengence LP RAM, Samsung 840 Pro SSD 256GB, WD Black 2TB media drive, Intel HD 4600 GPU, MSI GTX660 2GB VGA, Coolermaster Silencio 652 case, Noctua NH-U12S CPU cooler, Cakewalk UA-25EX USB audio interface, Cakewalk MA-15D monitor speakers, BM Intensity Pro 4K, PlextorPX-LB950SA BD writer, Dell U2410 Monitor

Last edited by John Hooper; 12-06-2011 at 06:59 PM.
John Hooper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2011, 09:06 AM   #3
Philip Howells

John, please don't interpret my depay in relying as rudeness; I'm in the middle of trying to finish two edits - may I come back later when I can explain properly what I've tried?
Old 12-14-2011, 10:34 AM   #4
Philip Howells

John (and of course anyone else who's following this thread) I think I've managed it, ie to get the BCF2000 to talk to and work with Edius 6.06. Thanks for your guidance; I downloaded everything you suggested. The only possible drawback is that I think I may have to install the preset from the User Settings each time I want to use it - but since I also have to stop my Jog Shuttle2 working that's a relatively minor hardship.

The key is to ignore most of the Behringer manual save for the first operating mode. The user settings setup diagram in Edius has all the necessary explanations and I think I'm going to enjoy mixing using this control surface.

As others have noted it doesn't handle panning but since most of my work involves mono mic sources or stereo commercial music that's not a problem. It could be argued that what it does isn't much but then mixing sound isn't much either, at least not with the very modest sound mixing facilities Edius offers - as others have noted. For me the big plus is being able to work on all eight faders at once - and being able to correct a mistake without having to start from scratch. Having faders move before your eyes is very reassuring.

Finally, I hope this doesn't sound too self-conratulatory because there are no grounds for that. Instead I'd rather hope it was encouragement for anyone else feeling as I do about level mixing that the machine does work "as it says on the tin."
Old 12-14-2011, 06:47 PM   #5
John Hooper

Hi Philip,

Glad you got it working.

Not sure about having to load it every time in settings, and why do you need to stop the Jog Shuttle? Both items of hardware should be detected every time you start Edius.
Edius 8.53WG, Vistitle 2.8, Windows 10 x64 Pro Fall Update, Asus Z87 Pro, Intel i7-4770K, 16 GB 1600 Corsair Vengence LP RAM, Samsung 840 Pro SSD 256GB, WD Black 2TB media drive, Intel HD 4600 GPU, MSI GTX660 2GB VGA, Coolermaster Silencio 652 case, Noctua NH-U12S CPU cooler, Cakewalk UA-25EX USB audio interface, Cakewalk MA-15D monitor speakers, BM Intensity Pro 4K, PlextorPX-LB950SA BD writer, Dell U2410 Monitor
John Hooper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2011, 11:39 AM   #6
Philip Howells

Default BCF2000 disappointment overcome

John, I assumed there might a a conflict between the run controls of the BCF and those of the Jog Shuttle but there isn't. And as long as the present on the BCF is the same as that nominated by the installation in Edius that too avoid the need to re-install.

Thanks for your help and encouragement.

Go Back   Grass Valley Forums > Editors > EDIUS: Compatible Hardware and Accessories