Grass Valley Forums Facebook   Twitter   YouTube  

Go Back   Grass Valley Forums > Editors > Editing with EDIUS

Old 11-09-2011, 12:33 AM   #1
gavro

Default Exporting HD project to standard DVD

hey guys,

Sorry if this is a repost couldnt find it anywhere.
When i export a HD project to a standard dvd the final product when watching is quite poor quality, is this because it has to compress it to a smaller file? or is there a way around this.

Thank you
gavro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2011, 01:14 AM   #2
antonsvideo

Quote:
Originally Posted by gavro View Post
hey guys,

Sorry if this is a repost couldnt find it anywhere.
When i export a HD project to a standard dvd the final product when watching is quite poor quality, is this because it has to compress it to a smaller file? or is there a way around this.

Thank you
which software (and version number) did you use to export to DVD

DVD is SD and will never look as good as HD, you could export as Blu-ray then it would look the same as HD

EDIUS 9 WG with Matrox MXO2, Gigabyte X299 UD4 Pro, Intel Core i9 9960X 16 Core, 32 Threads @ 4.3Ghz, Corsair Water Cooling, Gigabyte RTX-2070 Super 3X 8GB Video Card, Samsung 860 Pro 512GB SSD for System, 8TB Samsung Raid0 SSD for Video, 2 Pioneer BDR-209 Blu-ray/DVD burners, Hotswap Bay for 3.5" Sata and 2.5" SSD, Phanteks Enthoo Pro XL Tower, Corsair 32GB DDR4 Ram, Win10 Pro
antonsvideo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2011, 02:17 AM   #3
gavro

im just using burn to disc in edius 6.05. Some customers dont have Blu-ray so thats why im curious if there is something special that you do to get decent quality. i know it wont be as good as Blu-ray
gavro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2011, 03:36 AM   #4
antonsvideo

you could export timeline to Canopus HQ Fine

then encode with tmpgenc mastering works 5
http://www.videoproductions.com.au/html/t5-hd-sd.html

then author with DVD Lab Pro etc

this method will produce very slightly sharper DVD, but its more work

EDIUS 9 WG with Matrox MXO2, Gigabyte X299 UD4 Pro, Intel Core i9 9960X 16 Core, 32 Threads @ 4.3Ghz, Corsair Water Cooling, Gigabyte RTX-2070 Super 3X 8GB Video Card, Samsung 860 Pro 512GB SSD for System, 8TB Samsung Raid0 SSD for Video, 2 Pioneer BDR-209 Blu-ray/DVD burners, Hotswap Bay for 3.5" Sata and 2.5" SSD, Phanteks Enthoo Pro XL Tower, Corsair 32GB DDR4 Ram, Win10 Pro
Old 11-09-2011, 04:11 AM   #5
ChrisFar

I export the file as a Canopus HQ File
then use Antons Settings for tmpgenc mastering works 5
Then I author in tmpgenc authoring works 4.
I burn to a 8.5GB disc and the results are very good.

Anton is the authority on the downscale, he has saved me countless hours and headaches. Thanks Anton.
Chris
ChrisFar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2011, 12:47 PM   #6
dpalomaki

Compression to lower resoulution and bit rate will result in alesser product. How bad will depend on the downconvert process used, the viewing system used, and if the viewer is judging the DVD in an A-B comparison mode with the original HD material in close temporal proximity.

I found the following is a quick workflow that produces good results with HDV and AVCHD source.
Save the edited HD as a Canopus HQ AVI file.
Author the DVD using AuthoringWorks 4 (let it do the down convert).
Customers love what they see from the DVD played on a Sony BD player adnd displayed on a 52" HD set.

The workflow described in the above posts based on TMW5 can give a somewhat better final result, and DVD Lab Pro give exquesite control over the DVD produced, but the AW4 workflow may be "good enough" for your purposes and can save signigicant time.
dpalomaki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2011, 01:19 PM   #7
sladevideo

I'm doing Antons method. Though it's a bit more time....the results are amazing.

Mark
sladevideo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2011, 05:08 PM   #8
Thor

Most of my work is HD telecine capture and edit, for Blu-ray and/or DVD production. You can only extract so much detail from a film frame that is about 7mm square.

I'm happy just using Disc Burner from an HD timeline to make a DVD. It looks good to me. Obviously, it's not quite as good as the Blu-ray, but still decent.

Given the media I'm working with, it wouldn't make much difference to use the more complicated down-conversion methods mentioned above.

Jon

#1: Iwill DK8N, 2 x 270 Opterons, 2 Gb RAM, WinXPPro-32, Edius 5.51, NX PCI-X & HDV Expansion, ProCoder 3, Imaginate 2, Sony WV-DR9, Sony EDV-9500, Sony GV-D200.
#2: Asus P5E, Q9400, WinXPPro-32, Edius 6.07, HD Spark
#3: Edius SP with Breakout Box, Win10, Edius 7.53
Thor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2012, 05:16 PM   #9
Philip Howells

Quote:
Originally Posted by antonsvideo View Post
you could export timeline to Canopus HQ Fine

then encode with tmpgenc mastering works 5

then author with DVD Lab Pro etc

this method will produce very slightly sharper DVD, but its more work
Anton, I'm a devotee of TPMG Authoring Works 4. My original material is 35Mb/s MPEG2. In the past I've used Liquid's DVD output from the timeline which does the downscaling very well. What I'd like to ask you is if using TMPGEnc's Master Works 5 is driven by the choice of Canopus HQ Fine as the output codec? Do you recommend that over the MPEG2 for DVD option? I quite understand if you suggest I try both but if there's a significant difference it's worth asking the question.
Philip Howells is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2012, 12:26 AM   #10
antonsvideo

if the DVD is less than 70min, I will create my mpeg ES files direct from EDIUS timeline at 7700 video and 256 ac3 audio and it will look great when fed to DVD Lab Pro or TAW4
http://www.videoproductions.com.au/h...am-export.html

if the DVD is more than 70min, for best results export to Canopus Lossless
then use T5 Matering works for encoding

then feed DVD Lab Pro or TAW4 with the resulting files

Go Back   Grass Valley Forums > Editors > Editing with EDIUS