Grass Valley Forums Facebook   Twitter   YouTube  

Go Back   Grass Valley Forums > Editors > EDIUS: Compatible Hardware and Accessories

Old 01-23-2020, 02:27 AM   #1
Barry C

Default New AMD 3960 First Impressions

I took delivery of a new computer a few days ago built by Puget Systems. Just wanted to post some very preliminary results. The system is an AMD Threadripper 3960, NVidia 2080ti, 128GB ram, Samsung 970 evo plus NVMe drives, Windows 10.

It seems to have no trouble playing in realtime 3 layers of 4K video from a Sony A7S2 with the project settings at 10bit. At 8bit, no problem with 4 layers. Haven't tried more yet. It will play 8bit 8K HQX files in realtime on a 4K project timeline with no problem at all- so far, 3 layers. Tomorrow, I'll try more. 2 layers 8bit 8K HQX, buffer 62/64, 10bit it is right on the borderline with showing 1 or 2/32 on the buffer.

So far so good. Hopefully, it will continue to be that way.

Last edited by Barry C; 02-03-2020 at 11:55 PM.
Barry C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2020, 08:38 AM   #2
PaulTV

Hi barry,

I'd be interested to know what source "drive" the files are being played from?

And also the mobo you went for.

Although the results sound pretty good, they don't feel as outstanding as I would have expected from throwing thousands of dollars and so many cores at Edius.

Would you be able to run similar file tests with Ppro and Resolve?

I'm in the postion of wanting to work on a new build, but wonder if it's time to jump ship as Edius, at least for me, no longer "Edits Anything" and is less resource capable than the competition - especially as AMD state that Ppro has a huge increase in ability with their processors - and others on the forum here, state that other platforms provide higher playback function espacially with difficult files, simply by using the available resources on a system.

With the apparent sale of Edius around the corner, I wonder how much funding is available to pull Edius back into the race?

With GPU's, CPU's and file storage gaining ground relentlessly, software makers need to avail themselves of new speeds and facility to keep up.

Paul :-)

Edius 9.5 Asus X79 4930K 6 core @4.4GHz Water Cooled. 480GB REVO3x2 System drive, 4TB Raid 0, 4 TB E-Sata Raid 5, 32GB RAM, GTX1070Ti Decklink HD Extreme. 3X Sony AX53 Sony AX700 BMPCC 4K

http://indiestereographer.blogspot.co.uk
PaulTV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2020, 03:43 PM   #3
Barry C

Quote:
Originally Posted by PaulTV View Post
Hi barry,

I'd be interested to know what source "drive" the files are being played from?

And also the mobo you went for.

Although the results sound pretty good, they don't feel as outstanding as I would have expected from throwing thousands of dollars and so many cores at Edius.

Would you be able to run similar file tests with Ppro and Resolve?

I'm in the postion of wanting to work on a new build, but wonder if it's time to jump ship as Edius, at least for me, no longer "Edits Anything" and is less resource capable than the competition - especially as AMD state that Ppro has a huge increase in ability with their processors - and others on the forum here, state that other platforms provide higher playback function espacially with difficult files, simply by using the available resources on a system.

With the apparent sale of Edius around the corner, I wonder how much funding is available to pull Edius back into the race?

With GPU's, CPU's and file storage gaining ground relentlessly, software makers need to avail themselves of new speeds and facility to keep up.

Hi Paul,
The source drive is a 2tb Samsung 970 Evo Plus NVMe, and the MOBO is a
Gigabyte TRX40 AORUS PRO Wifi. The computer was built by Puget Systems who are absolutely excellent!

I don't use or care to rent Ppro, but I just did buy Resolve Studio 16.1, as I would like to try to learn to use it- PERHAPS!

With Resolve, I have tried it with the somewhat above 8K files I create from time lapse sequences made up from 300-450 JPEGS from 43mpxl stills from my Sony A7R2s. I save them as HQX interims. Last night, I put 4 layers of them, 3 PIP, on a Resolve timeline with no problem at all. Ron Evans sent me some files to test from his GH5 and with a 10 bit Rec 709 4096/2160 file, I stopped at 9 layers, since I had things to do, but easily could have kept going much higher. Later on yesterday, I tried it with 10 bit 4K 59.94fps files from him and did 14 layers- 13PIP- but quite possibly could have gone to 20, as at 14 the processor was at 13%, and the GPU- a NVidia 2080ti- was 60-64%.
Pretty amazing!

I should point out that in Resolve in Fusion mode, my 8K HQX files, 1 layer, caused the whole computer to bog down and freeze or crash everytime I added even one node. Totally sucked! For 4K, maybe it would have been OK in Fusion, I can't say. But, for my workflow, Fusion masking will not be possible and I am just in the process of attempting to learn how to do complex mask/matte in Color mode, if possible.

I totally share your scepticism about wheather Edius will make any major changes in the next versions, as opposed to teaspooning out a few incremental ones with future promises the way they usually do. The fact that they are being sold again doesn't give me a warm and fuzzy feeling! That said, I find the Edius stability and GUI to my liking much more than the bizarre GUI in Resolve, and Edius with this new computer will suit my needs just fine. However, I do plan to spend some time learning Resolve and if I find that it will work well for the particular types of things I do, then I may very well start using it. However, one thing is for certain, I clearly can't work in fusion. I noticed a post this morning from David Clark on a thread I started a couple of days ago on the main forum page where he said he had just tested Resolve Fusion on some files he had created and it crashed everytime.

Regards,
Barry
Old 01-27-2020, 04:39 PM   #4
PaulTV

Hey Barry,

Many thanks for the informative reply!

I have had Resolve for many years - full version, but never use Fusion at all, I'm happier with matting, tracking and so on in the color panel - I too find the layout awful - even after all these years I only use it for some color work.

Premiere Pro is much closer to Edius in terms of GUI, in fact I worked on Premiere years ago, and find it does some things really well - but also really love the Edius layout - it's so fast and really very stable.

The reason for my questions is that I'm considering the 24 core Threadripper rather than the 16 core Ryzen - this is a departure for me from Intel - but I don't see spending money on their current offerings would be wise at this point, as they will I assume get the 7nm chips on line - and the current tranche of CPU's will die off.

The results you see on Resolve are fantastic - I imagine Premiere would be the same as it also has high GPU usage - this is what I would expect from such a high core count, graphics card and fast source drives.

I really HOPE Edius gets it together and provides us with a future looking new release - I realise that the news cutters probably don't have more than a layer or two and a title - I shoot live multi camera 4K and regularly have 10 layers stacked up..one layer at 4K doesn't cut it for me at all.

I'll keep an eye on this thread, in case you have any further comments or results, once again, thanks.

Edius 9.5 Asus X79 4930K 6 core @4.4GHz Water Cooled. 480GB REVO3x2 System drive, 4TB Raid 0, 4 TB E-Sata Raid 5, 32GB RAM, GTX1070Ti Decklink HD Extreme. 3X Sony AX53 Sony AX700 BMPCC 4K

http://indiestereographer.blogspot.co.uk
PaulTV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2020, 08:24 PM   #5
Barry C

Quote:
Originally Posted by PaulTV View Post
Hey Barry,

Many thanks for the informative reply!

I have had Resolve for many years - full version, but never use Fusion at all, I'm happier with matting, tracking and so on in the color panel - I too find the layout awful - even after all these years I only use it for some color work.

Premiere Pro is much closer to Edius in terms of GUI, in fact I worked on Premiere years ago, and find it does some things really well - but also really love the Edius layout - it's so fast and really very stable.

The reason for my questions is that I'm considering the 24 core Threadripper rather than the 16 core Ryzen - this is a departure for me from Intel - but I don't see spending money on their current offerings would be wise at this point, as they will I assume get the 7nm chips on line - and the current tranche of CPU's will die off.

The results you see on Resolve are fantastic - I imagine Premiere would be the same as it also has high GPU usage - this is what I would expect from such a high core count, graphics card and fast source drives.

I really HOPE Edius gets it together and provides us with a future looking new release - I realise that the news cutters probably don't have more than a layer or two and a title - I shoot live multi camera 4K and regularly have 10 layers stacked up..one layer at 4K doesn't cut it for me at all.

I'll keep an eye on this thread, in case you have any further comments or results, once again, thanks.

Paul, I was also firmly in the Intel ecosystem until now. I had originally planned on another Intel based system and had actually ordered one from Puget Systems with an 18 core Intel. Puget Systems does a lot of testing of different configurations using different software and has lots of up to date articles with head to head comparisons. So, after seeing that HUGE advantage that AMD has now, I changed my order. Jerry on the forum in a PM also focused me toward AMD. I would suggest that you check out the Puget Systems website. Very informative!

Last edited by Barry C; 01-27-2020 at 10:11 PM.
Barry C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2020, 10:00 PM   #6
Bassman

It would be great if Puget tested Edius systems as well. I do not know how much Premiere performance can be associated with Edius performance. Lets hope for GPU assist in Edius 10 as both AMD and Intel are hitting MHz brick walls and not keeping up with the pace of camera resolution changes.
Old 01-27-2020, 10:14 PM   #7
Barry C

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bassman View Post
It would be great if Puget tested Edius systems as well. I do not know how much Premiere performance can be associated with Edius performance. Lets hope for GPU assist in Edius 10 as both AMD and Intel are hitting MHz brick walls and not keeping up with the pace of camera resolution changes.
I, of course, asked them about Edius. Unfortunately, they don't test or spec their systems for it. However, I was able to get enough information from their other testing to firmly sway me toward AMD.
Old 01-27-2020, 10:38 PM   #8
Jerry

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bassman View Post
Until a new architecture is released, the Intel chips will still suffer from Spectre and Meltdown.
If you are only using Edius at this point, I would wait until after 10 is released. This way you can wait to see the new offerings from Computex.

There is a 10990xe on the way with 22C/44T. It has a 380 watt TDP.

I don't expect any new architectures to show up until 2021.

So at this point, just kick back and wait.
If you own the Tutorials and you need help, PM me.

Vistitle YouTube Channel
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCMVlxC8Am4qFbkXJRoPAnMQ/videos

Windows 10 Pro up to v.1803 Tweaks for Edius Users
http://sgdvtutorials.com/WIN%2010%20...%20V.2.0.0.pdf

Main System: Azrock Z97 Extreme 6, 4790K@4.7Ghz, 32gb ram, Corsair H110, Win10 Pro 64, Samsung 850 pro, E7.5/8.5/E9 on separate SSD drives, HD Spark, Intensity Shuttle, 12tb RAID 0 on backplane ,2 BD, Benq 27 and Hanns-G 28 monitors, CC 2019, GTX 1080ti SC Black.
Both systems on Gigabit network
Second System: EditHD Ultimax-i7, X58, 980x@3.74, Corsair H80, Win764, 24gb ram, Storm 3g, Samsung 840 Pro 256, 4tb and 6tb RAID 0 on backplane, GTX 980ti Classified, Edius 9, Apple 30", Samsung 24", dual BD.

Last edited by Jerry; 01-27-2020 at 10:58 PM.
Jerry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2020, 12:27 AM   #9
Barry C

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jerry View Post
Until a new architecture is released, the Intel chips will still suffer from Spectre and Meltdown.
If you are only using Edius at this point, I would wait until after 10 is released. This way you can wait to see the new offerings from Computex.

There is a 10990xe on the way with 22C/44T. It has a 380 watt TDP.

I don't expect any new architectures to show up until 2021.

So at this point, just kick back and wait.
As a side note, the Threadripper 3960 runs at 280 watts.
Old 01-28-2020, 01:08 AM   #10
Ron Evans

Alex gave quite the tease in the IBC interview that made me think the core of EDIUS is to be modernized.https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z9afgJ1uOAQ

Lets hope my thoughts materialize. Not far to NAB to see if it is there or wait until IBC. I think it is a good marketing move get people to upgrade and then have a lot of people on the new release when it arrives.

Threadripper 1920 stock clock 3.7, Gigabyte Designare X399 MB, 32G G.Skill 3200CL14, 500G M.2 SATA OS, 500G EVO 850 temp. 1T EVO 850 render, 6T Source, 2 x 1T NVME, MSI 1080Ti 11G , EVGA 850 G2, LG BLuray Burner, BM IP4K, WIN10 Pro

ASUS PB328 monitor, BenQ BL2711U 4K preview monitor, EDIUS 9.5 WG, Vegas 17, Resolve Studio 16

Cameras: GH5S, GH5, FDR-AX100, FDR-AX53, DJI OSMO Pocket, Atomos Ninja V x 2
Ron Evans is offline   Reply With Quote

Go Back   Grass Valley Forums > Editors > EDIUS: Compatible Hardware and Accessories