Grass Valley Forums Facebook   Twitter   YouTube  

Go Back   Grass Valley Forums > Editors > Editing with EDIUS

Old 08-24-2011, 12:20 AM   #1
ChrisFar

Default Edius 6 and Audio

I have a Sony EX1. I run a wireless mic into Input 2 and leave Input 1 for ambient room sound. When I go into Edius and look at the waveform I notice that the Audio on input 1(ambient) is fine, until someone is talking on the wireless on Input 2. When someone speaks, the audio on Channel 1 drops down to almost nothing, then returns once the person stops speaking. Can anyone help me with this?? Am I messing up in Camera or in Edius.
Thanks
Chris
ChrisFar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2011, 01:00 AM   #2
Red Union Films
Banned

Check that your camera audio settings don't have agc linked, and that you are limiting on separate channels if you are limiting.
Red Union Films is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2011, 06:17 PM   #3
ChrisFar

I will check that, do you use an EX1?? Would you know where that setting is??? I just leave the camera in auto it does a great job with the wireless.
Old 08-25-2011, 12:27 AM   #4
ChrisFar

I checked the menu and there is a way to separate the AGC.
Thanks
Chris
Old 08-27-2011, 12:59 AM   #5
Red Union Films
Banned

Hi Chris.

Only just noticed what you had said. I use an EX3, aside from a couple of differences they are the same camera.

For your audio settings you may want to do that part manually. Most cameras do a great job of things in auto mode for the picture, but audio can be a different story.

When I record I will deal with the 2 channels as 2 separate mono tracks as opposed to 1 stereo track, similar to what you do. With either the 2 tracks recording completely different audio, or for interview stuff, track 2 being a safety of 1 from say the internal mic. I switch off all auto settings like AGC, limiter, wind, and set any pre-amp options or LF/HF options to 0. If any mic is running hot at the capsule then I would use a pad on the mic, and same with frequency attenuation if needed. Wind and rumble would be taken care of by a good suspended cradle and a jammer. This kind of setup is basically as flat as you normally want to start, unless using external pre-amps and mixers. Then just control the level from the cameras normal level control. If you do some dry runs and check your levels, get them as close to 0 on the peaks, and then back off a few db for a safety margin. Don't make the mistake of recording low with the expectation of headroom. As this does not help so much for 16bit recording and can cause noise issues later down the line when having to do digital gaining. Digital audio recording is all about getting as close to 0 as possible to use the full resolution.

Hope this helps.

Cheers.

Dave.
Red Union Films is offline   Reply With Quote

Go Back   Grass Valley Forums > Editors > Editing with EDIUS