Grass Valley Forums Facebook   Twitter   YouTube  

Go Back   Grass Valley Forums > Editors > Editing with EDIUS

Closed Thread

Old 03-21-2011, 01:42 PM   #21
GrassValley_SL

The reason matters.
If you are as specific as can be we can show you how to work within the current set of tools. (not saying that there is no room for improvement)

There are so much user control in EDIUS 6 now that it confuses a lot of people.

If the files are accidentally moved just point EDIUS to the correct location to restore it.

That cannot be the reason why you end up with 70 offline files in the project.
If you can be specific as to why you ended up with these files we can help you with the workflow.

I am usually trying to help people work within the current set and then when the problem is solved discuss how it can be improved. If I had a problem I would like to get it solved instead of bringing up many of reasons why a proposed solution won't work.

Please don't send me Private Messages for support. Contact Grass Valley support
Old 03-21-2011, 01:56 PM   #22
zvit

Quote:
Originally Posted by GrassValley_SL View Post
That cannot be the reason why you end up with 70 offline files in the project.
I am not going to respond to this post because I know where it will lead us. You tell me to read what you write carefully but what you wrote (I quoted you) shows that you didn't read my last post before you responded. I specifically wrote the reason my image had 70 offline files. I wrote that I had done this for the sake of an example to show that Edius didn't find them even though I choose video in the search options. I went to my computer and changed the name of the folder so that all my video clips would be offline for a few minutes just so that I can test the search results. I wrote that I don't have 70 offline files in my preset project and that what ever is offline is for a reason - not a problem.

I don't know why I'm writing it again. Just read my last post again.

For now, I really DO thank you for all the support and fast replies. I'm working now so later I'll play around again with the search options.

In after effects you type in a search box the word "missing" (you don't even have to type in the whole word) and all offline clips are shown in the bin. I don't think that this convenience makes after effects less user controlled. In Edius, you have to do a search within a search, choose filetypes, operators.... Yeh, almost the same flexibility.

Sometimes it would be ok to say, "You're right... that would be easier. Suggest it in the requests forum".

I DO appreciate your wanting to improve workflows to avoid problems. That is smart. Just that my offline files (not 70!) are not my problem. Finding them in my project is. Every few months I change intros and titles and need to rid of the offline files to make room for new offline files.
Gigabyte Z77X-UP4 TH, Intel Core i7 3770k 3.5GHz, 4 Core, 8 Threads, 32GB RAM, NVIDIA GeForce GTX 660 2GB, 500GB SSD HDD for OS, 40TB Usable Hard Drive Capacity, Window 10 PRO 64-bit Edius 9.5 WORKSTATION...
Old 03-21-2011, 04:12 PM   #23
SoundFreak
Banned

I feel this issue is closely related to the "replace with dummy effect" when opening a project i.e. on a machine with other or no thirdparty effects installed.
It is a great idea to have a bin search (effect search would be a great addition - hint hint) but to make it really usable would be some sort of a marker on the timeline, for both missing media clips and effects, now clips can be found when investing lots of time but missing effects / transitions are another story.

A simple OFF LINE selection in the search criteria should be possible to create in the next update me thinks.

Sorry to bud in zvit but this issue should be highlighted too as it is closely related !
Old 03-22-2011, 12:44 AM   #24
antonsvideo

I have a project that shows three tmpro titles offline, they show they are on the timeline and not in the bin

I can't find the offline titles on the timeline, I have 5 sequences with around 200 titles all up, none of them show up as offline when scanning timeline

maybe I need to zoom to 1 frame scale and step through one frame at a time :)

it would be nice to have a "goto offline file" button

EDIUS 9 WG with Matrox MXO2, Gigabyte X299 UD4 Pro, Intel Core i9 9960X 16 Core, 32 Threads, Corsair Water Cooling, Gigabyte RTX-2070 Super 3X 8GB Video Card, Samsung 870 Pro NVMe M.2 for System, 8TB Samsung Raid0 SSD for Video, 2 Pioneer BDR-209 Blu-ray/DVD burners, Hotswap Bay for 3.5" Sata and 2.5" SSD, Phanteks Enthoo Pro XL Tower, Corsair 32GB DDR4 Ram, Win10 Pro
Old 03-22-2011, 11:06 AM   #25
laddi.b

Quote:
Originally Posted by antonsvideo View Post
it would be nice to have a "goto offline file" button
That would be a great idea, similar to "show clip in timeline" function in bin.

EDIUS WG 8.52.2293, VisTitle 2.6, Windows 7 Pro 64bit SP1
1) S5520 HC, Dual Xeon E5520 @ 2.26 GHz 4 cores, 12GB DDR3 RAM, RAID5, NVidia GeForce GTX 750 Ti, SHX-E2
2) X8SAX, i7 930 @ 2.8GHz 4 cores, 12 GB DDR3 RAM, SHX-E1
3) P8Z77-M, i7 3770 @ 3.4 GHz 4 cores, 8GB DDR3 RAM, HDSpark
Old 03-22-2011, 11:29 AM   #26
antonsvideo

I found the offline clips after 1 hour of using the page up button to jump from one item to the next

I have no idea how they became offline because the path was correct? maybe bad sector on disk?

EDIUS 9 WG with Matrox MXO2, Gigabyte X299 UD4 Pro, Intel Core i9 9960X 16 Core, 32 Threads, Corsair Water Cooling, Gigabyte RTX-2070 Super 3X 8GB Video Card, Samsung 870 Pro NVMe M.2 for System, 8TB Samsung Raid0 SSD for Video, 2 Pioneer BDR-209 Blu-ray/DVD burners, Hotswap Bay for 3.5" Sata and 2.5" SSD, Phanteks Enthoo Pro XL Tower, Corsair 32GB DDR4 Ram, Win10 Pro
Old 03-22-2011, 12:18 PM   #27
GrassValley_SL

Anton,

What you can do in the future is this:
1 use the restore dialog to narrow down the sequences where they are offline. (by using sequence as region/range)

2 Make a new folder in the bin.

3 Select all clip in the sequence and drag them to the new folder

4 select that folder and export to html
Since the clips will be in order as they appear on the timeline it will be easier to find them in the HTML document and have the proximity where they are.
The thumbnails will display the offline icon.

** I forgot this previously
You can also do narrow it down further by using in/out on the timeline.
If you put in /out over a section of the time line in a sequence you can do a search with that region by putting the range to: current timeline sequence in out.

If you use the first method to find the sequence If you have a few.
Then you can narrow the search down by partly searching between in out on the timeline.

Hope this helps.

Last edited by GrassValley_SL; 03-22-2011 at 02:34 PM.
Old 03-22-2011, 12:39 PM   #28
zvit

Quote:
Originally Posted by GrassValley_SL View Post
1 use the restore dialog to narrow down the sequences where they are offline. (by using sequence as region)
This will not tell you what sequence they are in.
Gigabyte Z77X-UP4 TH, Intel Core i7 3770k 3.5GHz, 4 Core, 8 Threads, 32GB RAM, NVIDIA GeForce GTX 660 2GB, 500GB SSD HDD for OS, 40TB Usable Hard Drive Capacity, Window 10 PRO 64-bit Edius 9.5 WORKSTATION...
Old 03-22-2011, 12:41 PM   #29
antonsvideo

I will try that next time, thanks

Old 03-22-2011, 12:55 PM   #30
GrassValley_SL

Quote:
Originally Posted by zvit View Post
This will not tell you what sequence they are in.
If you use it correctly it will. Try it before stating wrong info.

Closed Thread

Go Back   Grass Valley Forums > Editors > Editing with EDIUS