Grass Valley Forums Facebook   Twitter   YouTube  

Go Back   Grass Valley Forums > Converters > ProCoder

Old 05-11-2007, 03:04 AM   #1
h3170ra

Default How to create a HQ VCD?

Hi

I've tried to make VCD using Canopus procoder, but I'm not satisfied with the result. First I thought that the best result that I can get. Then I watched the original VCD that made by other people, the quality is almost same as DVD. Do I have to use the 3rd party encoder program? Or is there any solution from Canopus?

Best regards,
h3170ra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2007, 03:40 AM   #2
shueardm

I think it was always widely know (by forum members) that VCD quality from ProCoder wasn't great.
shueardm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2007, 04:07 AM   #3
THoff

VCD is just not a very high-quality format to begin with, and it will never compare to a Full D1 DVD. Both the spatial resolution and the bitrate are just too low for that.

However, I just did a test with PC3 and rendered one of my projects to VCD format using the "Mastering Quality" settings, and I was actually pleasantly surprised, it didn't look bad at all. You can't blow the image up without it looking soft, but at the original size it looks crisp and free of macroblocking.

How you view the results has alot to do with how you interpret the results. If your media player scales or isn't set up right, you'll be disappointed. If you actually burn a disk and play it on a VCD (or compatible) player, expect VHS-like quality.
THoff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2007, 05:09 AM   #4
jaegersing

Quote:
Originally Posted by h3170ra View Post
Hi

I've tried to make VCD using Canopus procoder, but I'm not satisfied with the result. First I thought that the best result that I can get. Then I watched the original VCD that made by other people, the quality is almost same as DVD. Do I have to use the 3rd party encoder program? Or is there any solution from Canopus?

Best regards,
Procoder VCDs are pretty good, except where the source has a lot of fine details. e.g. water ripples or tree leaves. This is just a limitation of the MPEG1 bitrate used in the VCD standard. Professional VCDs will probably use some preprocessing to limit the video bandwidth before encoding to MPEG.
jaegersing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2007, 08:16 AM   #5
Timo

Procoder is awesome for VCD and SVCD.
Prefiltering can be done by Avisynth, then open the Avisynth-script in Procoder to encode the VCD or SVCD.
In my opinion no other software-encoder can beat Procoder2/3 in that low bitrates that VCD and SVCD are limited in.

For footage like water ripples and so on decrease the edgedetails just a little bit ( not really visible, the difference can be a pure measurement difference ) but the encoded result will become significant better.
Old 05-11-2007, 12:36 PM   #6
h3170ra

Could you tell me the detail how to do the prefiltering using Avisynth?

Thank a lot.
h3170ra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2007, 06:38 PM   #7
THoff

If you want to do this in Procoder itself, click on the Advanced button after selecting the source video, then click on Video Filter, and add the Blur, Circular Blur, or Gaussian Blur filter. Any of these will reduce the amount of detail in the image and allow for better compression.
THoff is offline   Reply With Quote

Go Back   Grass Valley Forums > Converters > ProCoder