Grass Valley Forums Facebook   Twitter   YouTube  

Go Back   Grass Valley Forums > Editors > Editing with EDIUS

Old 04-17-2018, 10:24 AM   #1
EDVS2016

Default converting 24 rame rate to 25 frame rate

Hi gurus,

i have a source clip which is in 24 frame rate, but i want my end product to be in 25 frame rate, how do i do that?

I read online that i can add the clip in the bin, in properties, change the frame rate from 24 to 25 before dragging in to timeline and export. However, i noticed the duration became short, am i doing correctly? Anything i need to take note of?

TIA.

VT

(Edius Pro 8)
EDVS2016 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2018, 02:25 AM   #2
dvpro

RE-Vision FieldsKit

Intel i9-7960X, Alphacool Eisbaer 280 CPU Cooler, ASUS TUF X299 MARK 1, 64GB RAM, Nvidia Quadro P4000, Samsung M.2 SSDs, Intensity Pro 4K, Windows 10, BeQuiet Dark Base Pro 900

Intel i7-8700K, Noctua NH-D15, Asus Z370 Prime, 32GB RAM, Nvidia GTX1050TI, Samsung M.2 SSDs, Windows 10, Fractal Design Define R5
dvpro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2018, 03:10 AM   #3
EDVS2016

meaning Edius cannot process this conversion without this?

Quote:
Originally Posted by dvpro View Post
RE-Vision FieldsKit
Old 04-18-2018, 05:38 AM   #4
antonsvideo

Quote:
Originally Posted by EDVS2016 View Post
Hi gurus,

i have a source clip which is in 24 frame rate, but i want my end product to be in 25 frame rate, how do i do that?

I read online that i can add the clip in the bin, in properties, change the frame rate from 24 to 25 before dragging in to timeline and export. However, i noticed the duration became short, am i doing correctly? Anything i need to take note of?

TIA.

VT

(Edius Pro 8)
that is the correct way, it very slightly increases the speed and as a result duration will be a bit shorter, but that is how all Hollywood 24 frame movies get to Pal DVD

you can add pitchshifter audio filter to audio clip so the sound sounds normal due to increased speed

EDIUS 9 WG with Matrox MXO2, Asrock X99 Extreme 6, Intel Core i7 5960X Extreme Haswell-E 8-Core, Corsair Water Cooling, Nvidia Geforce GTX-980, Samsung 860 Pro SSD for System, 8TB Samsung Raid0 SSD for Video, 3 Pioneer BDR-209 Blu-ray/DVD burners, Hotswap Bay for 3.5" Sata and 2.5" SSD, Fractal Design Arc XL Tower, 32GB DDR4 Ram, Win7 Pro
antonsvideo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2018, 08:02 AM   #5
PaulTV

Re Vision Fieldskit creates interlaced material from progressive or converts progressive to Interlaced - it does not perform conversion of frame rates, so don't be tempted to rush out and buy it unless that's what you want to do, which you don't.

Paul :-)

System 1: Edius 7.5 Asus X79 4930K 6 core @4.4GHz Water Cooled. 480GB REVO3x2 System drive, 4TB Raid 0, 4 TB E-Sata Raid 5, 32GB RAM, GTX1070Ti Decklink HD Extreme. 3X Sony AX53 Sony AX700

http://indiestereographer.blogspot.co.uk
PaulTV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2018, 10:28 AM   #6
David Clarke

You can just put the 24P clip on a 25P timeline and then fiddle with the frame blending options.
  • Nearest frame will not do much to the picture and it will just duplicate the odd frame to go from 24P to 25P, so will be a bit jerkier.
  • Frame blending will make it slightly fuzzier as it crossfades several frames to try and smooth out the frame difference.
  • Optical flow will try to create new data which works sometimes and other times produces odd effects.

In all the above the duration stays the same but the footage is changed and will probably loose some quality.

Alternatively you do what Anton says which means the video looks exactly the same as before but runs faster. Like he says that is what is normally done professionally.

There are other programs that may do a better conversion job than EDIUS - FieldsKit is for de-interlacing, but they do other products for slow motion and frame rate changing which do not work in EDIUS.
Desktop: 2Ghz 12 core Xeon processor, 32GB RAM, nVidia 1060, BM Intensity Pro, Windows 10
David Clarke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2018, 11:23 AM   #7
DigitalDave

David has summarised what I found 18 months ago. Nothing was remotely perfect. In the end it was a choice of the slightly shorter duration or Alchemist XF which is 10K. I thought long and hard for at least 1 second and came to the conclusion that the shorter duration wasn't so bad after all.
DigitalDave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2018, 02:05 AM   #8
EDVS2016

Quote:
Originally Posted by antonsvideo View Post
that is the correct way, it very slightly increases the speed and as a result duration will be a bit shorter, but that is how all Hollywood 24 frame movies get to Pal DVD

you can add pitchshifter audio filter to audio clip so the sound sounds normal due to increased speed
is there any setting to set?
Old 04-19-2018, 02:08 AM   #9
EDVS2016

Quote:
Originally Posted by David Clarke View Post
You can just put the 24P clip on a 25P timeline and then fiddle with the frame blending options.
  • Nearest frame will not do much to the picture and it will just duplicate the odd frame to go from 24P to 25P, so will be a bit jerkier.
  • Frame blending will make it slightly fuzzier as it crossfades several frames to try and smooth out the frame difference.
  • Optical flow will try to create new data which works sometimes and other times produces odd effects.

In all the above the duration stays the same but the footage is changed and will probably loose some quality.

Alternatively you do what Anton says which means the video looks exactly the same as before but runs faster. Like he says that is what is normally done professionally.

There are other programs that may do a better conversion job than EDIUS - FieldsKit is for de-interlacing, but they do other products for slow motion and frame rate changing which do not work in EDIUS.
seems like this isn't an ideal option as well since video will still show some artifacts. guess has to compromise with its duration to get a better conversion.

Go Back   Grass Valley Forums > Editors > Editing with EDIUS