Grass Valley Forums Facebook   Twitter   YouTube  

Go Back   Grass Valley Forums > Editors > EDIUS: Compatible Hardware and Accessories

Old 07-18-2017, 08:05 PM   #1
Themis Gyparis

Default Intensity Shuttle

Hi there

I have a laptop with Windows 7 and Edius 7.5 installed and I use it a lot for work outside the studio. I was thinking about buying a Blackmagic Intensity Shuttle USB 3.0 card. Anyone with experience on drivers and performance, please give me an idea on whether it's worth it. I tried using an external monitor for preview via HDMI and both image and colors are very soft compared to original footage. Is the Blackmagic worth it or am I doing something wrong?

Thanks in advance.
Old 07-18-2017, 09:28 PM   #2
THoff

I have a Blackmagic Intensity Shuttle USB 3.0, but I use it exclusively for capturing from HDMI and analog sources. The Blackmagic drivers are not that stable when used with Edius and I find that I get more reliable performance when using their Desktop Video utility.
THoff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2017, 09:42 PM   #3
Themis Gyparis

Quote:
Originally Posted by THoff View Post
The Blackmagic drivers are not that stable when used with Edius and I find that I get more reliable performance when using their Desktop Video utility.
I'm not sure I understand how you get more reliability by using the Desktop Video utility. Doesn't this utility get installed when a driver gets installed? As far as I know, it's job is to change display settings, no more than that. Did you try installing the latest drivers? If so, could you please be more thorough on those instability issues?
Old 07-18-2017, 10:27 PM   #4
THoff

You can install the drivers separately from the Desktop Video utility, which can both capture or output through the ports on the Shuttle.

I was never able to reliably capture in Edius using the Shuttle even after creating an appropriate preset. I always wound up with audio/video synchronization problems, aborted captures, and bad files when outputting HQ or HQX files.

I now exclusively capture using the Desktop Video utility in MJPEG AVI format -- it records for many hours without problems.
Old 07-18-2017, 10:59 PM   #5
Themis Gyparis

Ok, now I get it. My only use of the Shuttle, though, will be for preview, I'm not interested in any kind of capture. In this case how stable is the Shuttle? Do you have lagging or other issues? Are the drivers stable so that preview of the footage is flawless? As I said, my HDMI preview is very soft compared to original footage when played back on the same monitor straight from the SD card via a reader (usb input).
Old 07-18-2017, 11:47 PM   #6
THoff

As I mentioned in my initial response, I use the Shuttle exclusively for capturing. I can run some quick tests to see how well output works, but I'm on Edius 8.5 Workgroup and in NTSC land -- let me know if that is of any value to you.
Old 07-19-2017, 08:25 AM   #7
Themis Gyparis

Quote:
Originally Posted by THoff View Post
As I mentioned in my initial response, I use the Shuttle exclusively for capturing. I can run some quick tests to see how well output works, but I'm on Edius 8.5 Workgroup and in NTSC land -- let me know if that is of any value to you.
Not really. Thanks.
Old 07-19-2017, 10:47 AM   #8
johannesj

I use the Intensity Shuttle USB 3.0 on laptop with Edius 8.xx WG to preview, no problems at all.
3: HPxw8600 dual 3ghz Xeon, STORM 3G, , Edius 7, 32 GB ram.
4: Edius 7, Supermicro x7da8 dual 3ghz Xeon.
Audio: Protools & Nuendo, M-Audio and Presonus interfaces, control surfaces and preamps, dual 3ghz Xeon. 16gb Ram.
Studio monitoring: Mackie 1402-VLZ Pro mixer and Mackie HR824 Spk. Panasonic surround system.
And more
johannesj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2017, 05:47 PM   #9
David Clarke

The Shuttle is not the most reliable device I ever sold (I used to be a reseller for Blackmagic devices). It has problems with different USB3 chipsets. If it works on your machine then you generally do not have problems. If it does not like the USB3 chipset then it will causes crashes.

Originally it was designed to work with Renasas chipset USB3 ports but those are fairly rare on computers. Many current computers have Intel USB3 chips and these seem to have been working well on the machines I have tried.

Its performance varies from one program to another. It hardly ever seems to work properly in Avid, for example. Also in my tests capture was more of a problem than playback. On a problematic system, every time I switched to capture in EDIUS and then came out, EDIUS would crash.

In preference I would use a Thunderbolt Shuttle, assuming you have a Thunderbolt port on the computer, but this is more expensive and only useful if you have a Thunderbolt port.

My best advise would be to order it from someone who will take it back if it does not work. Treat it carefully when you get it and try it out on a project, and if it works properly keep it; if it does not work send it back for a refund.
Desktop: 2Ghz 12 core Xeon processor, 32GB RAM, nVidia 1060, BM Intensity Pro, Windows 10
David Clarke is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2017, 08:29 PM   #10
THoff

My Shuttle was actually a open-box item from someone who had to return it. Both my Samsung ultrabook and my desktop editing system have Renesas (NEC) USB3 chipsets, and work fine with the Shuttle provided I use the Blackmagic software. Unfortunately Edius, not so much...

Go Back   Grass Valley Forums > Editors > EDIUS: Compatible Hardware and Accessories