Grass Valley Forums Facebook   Twitter   YouTube  

Go Back   Grass Valley Forums > Converters > ADVC

Old 05-13-2007, 12:45 AM   #1
hip_school_preppie

Default Brightness Fluctuations-VHS Capture using ADVC-110

Hi Folks - a few users, including myself, have been plagued by brightness fluctuations when using the ADVC-110 to capture VHS to AVI. You'll start capturing video and all of a sudden the picture will just dim slightly - not a lot, but enough to be annoying. This is not a Macrovision issue - we're having the issue with all kinds of VHS tapes, including homemade ones. I'm using a JVC SVHS > Canopus 110 (S-Video Connection) > Firewire > Dell Pentium 4. Using Sony Vegas 7.0 for capturing. The firewire is powering the Canopus.

We've tried using a different power source, but that didn't help. I tried powering down all electronics that are nearby and moving the canopus box like 4 feet away from my pc to no avail. I tried every combo of settings on the dip switches - nada. Is this a bug?
Old 05-13-2007, 04:49 AM   #2
GrassValley_KH
Mr Sparkle

I believe I've seen this before with an S-VHS player. Does this happen if you use composite video output instead?
GrassValley_KH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2007, 06:34 AM   #3
hip_school_preppie

Yes, composite has the same issue - just tested it out. The weird thing is the "dimming" happenes in pretty much the same spots, until I eject and re-insert/play the VHS source. Then it starts happening in different spots.
Old 05-13-2007, 07:20 PM   #4
GrassValley_KH
Mr Sparkle

Since you probably don't have another ADVC handy, to isolate this - can you try capturing from a different analog device? If it happens on other devices, sounds like the ADVC110 has an issue.

What's the IRE setting on the underside of the unit set to, by the way?
Old 05-14-2007, 06:16 AM   #5
hip_school_preppie

I tried with an old school Sanyo VCR using a composite connection and the same issue occurs. I hooked up both VCR's to my plasma tv and there's no "dimming" whatsoever.

IRE is set to "On" - 7.5/SECAM. This is the only dip switch I have set to "On" - every other switch in "Off".
Old 05-24-2007, 04:01 AM   #6
hip_school_preppie

Whatcha think Kenneally? I know my issue definitely is not related to Macrovision/copy protection. I tested with store bought TDK tapes - recorded TV shows to them and played them back on my TV w/o any issues whatsoever. I then try to play the vhs tape through my advc-110 and the "dimming" randomly occurs.

So the question is - do all ADVC-110's have some sort of sensitivity issue, or does mine just have a bug?
Old 05-24-2007, 04:17 AM   #7
GrassValley_KH
Mr Sparkle

It sounds like you might need to arrange an RMA with tech support - since the problem lies with the ADVC. (and I'm not thinking it's a timebase issue, given you've tested multiple newer tapes and vcrs)
Old 05-24-2007, 05:02 AM   #8
hip_school_preppie

I purchased it recently from NewEgg - should I just swap it for a new one? They have a 1 year exchange policy on the advc-110.
Old 05-27-2007, 03:30 AM   #9
Mike

Hey, I had problems copying from VHS myself. The only way I could get around them, cheaply, was to route the input signal thru the analogue in to my desktop DV machine (Sony DSR11), which then acted to shunt the signal through the card and a successful capture. Obviously, the DSR11 was switched to 'line in', but the card 'saw' it thu the firewire. If you have similar equipment, give it a try..

good luck!

Mike
Old 05-27-2007, 10:54 AM   #10
Zorro

Any chance that you can send the VHS signal to a switcher and/or TBC and then go into the ADVC110?
Zorro is offline   Reply With Quote

Go Back   Grass Valley Forums > Converters > ADVC