Grass Valley Forums Facebook   Twitter   YouTube  

Go Back   Grass Valley Forums > Editors > Editing with EDIUS

Old 05-10-2007, 08:05 AM   #1
Cory Bretz

Default Slip Edit in Edius?

In Edius 3 I used to be able keep a clip fixed in one place on the timeline and only move (slip) the content inside it without changing the start and end points on the time timeline. Version 4 doesn't seem to have this function. How do I do slip edit?
Family History & Life Stories

MSI GT75 Laptop with 8th Gen Intel® Core™ i7-8750H 2.2GHz Hexa Core processor, 16GB Ram, 256GB SSD + 1TB HDD, GeForce® GTX 1080 8GB GDDR5X & 2 LG IPS235 monitors, Thunderbolt™ 3 & 6TB G-Drive, Edius Pro 8.53, Adobe Creative Cloud 2018, VisTitle 2.6, & gazillions of video editing faeries.
Cory Bretz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2007, 08:39 AM   #2
Bart

Look in the helpfile, go to "index", keyword "slip" and you have 1 way to do this.
Or enter "trim mode" in version 4 with F6 => you'll find a "slip trim button" under the right screen.
Edius 8.53 WG - Win 10 64 - i7-920 - 16 Gb DDR3 - Intel DX58SO - Nvidia Geforce GT 730 2 Gb - SSD 500 Gb system + 2 x 1 Tb datastorage / databackup + 2 x 3 Tb videostorage - 2 x 23" Full HD Monitors - M-Audio Studiophile AV30 - Sony HDR-HC9 - Sony A77II
Bart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2007, 04:40 PM   #3
GrassValley_MD
Mike Downey... The Jollymon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cory Bretz View Post
In Edius 3 I used to be able keep a clip fixed in one place on the timeline and only move (slip) the content inside it without changing the start and end points on the time timeline. Version 4 doesn't seem to have this function. How do I do slip edit?

If you select F6 you will see you are now in trim mode.

If you look to the right of the buttons across the bottom of the overlays you will see one that is called select-slip.

When you select this button you will see the ends of the selected clip is now colored.

All you have to do is hold the mouse cursor over the overlay windows... hold your left mouse button down, and then drag to the right or left and you will be slipping the video inside of your In and Out points. :)

Mike
GrassValley_MD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2007, 12:13 PM   #4
cybertrix

A Slip Edit is a very commonly performed operation when adding cut aways or even just timing a shot. In the older versions of Edius it was a simple case of holding down CTRL+ALT (I think) and "slipping" the clip within it's I/O points. This was great because often you are looking at an external monitor while "slipping" so as long as your mouse was clicking in the region of the clip it would slip around as you clicked and dragged it.

Now, "Slipping" is a converluded process of Pressing F6, Clicking on an icon and having to click a totally different region of the screen or use those annoying green and yellow light up bits. In contrast, Premiere Pro lets you tap "Y" and then click anywhere in the clip to slip it around. (AVID & FCP have similar shortcuts)

The old Edius "shift" "ctrl" and "alt" combination keys were much better than they are now. I don't understand why they were ever removed.

I've assigned the "Y" key to "Trim - Select Clip", but clicking on a clip to Slip it just disables Trim again. Yes, I can use those annoying green / yellow things, but it requires a few pixels of mouse/waycom precision and I can't be looking at an external monitor at the same time as "slipping" around. It would be much better if the whole clip could be clicked and dragged around to slip it.

Or better still (and every long time Edius user I've talked to agrees) bring back the old Edius keys!!! Or at least an option "Alturnative Trim Keys"

It's the biggest cause of swearing in our studio and we are shocked that no one else is jumping up and down about the fact the old keys were removed. We really expected to see them back in Edius 4.5. The Keyboard Shortcut assignment doesn't allow you to put things back to how they were.

If I'm wrong, please tell me, because the old shortcuts would make editing a lot faster than it is now.

thanks
Chris
cybertrix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2007, 12:18 PM   #5
biopic

Chris
I toitally agree
Supermicro X8SAX, i7-950 CPU, 12GB RAM
BFG Nvidia GeF 9600GT graphics, RME Fireface800 audio,
SATA RAID
biopic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2007, 06:21 PM   #6
andrewwhiteley

I also agree Chris!
andrewwhiteley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2007, 06:37 PM   #7
PaulTV

me too

Paul

System 1: Edius 7.5 Asus X79 4930K 6 core @4.4GHz Water Cooled. 480GB REVO3x2 System drive, 4TB Raid 0, 4 TB E-Sata Raid 5, 32GB RAM, GTX1070Ti Decklink HD Extreme. 3X Sony AX53 Sony AX700

http://indiestereographer.blogspot.co.uk
PaulTV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2007, 10:34 PM   #8
BenK63

Fully agree!
Ben

Poll:
http://ediusforum.grassvalley.com/fo...read.php?t=109
BenK63 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2007, 10:47 PM   #9
GrassValley_BH
Demystifier/Analogizer

Is anyone using the keyboard shortcuts for Trim - Select Slip (no default key), and Trim -1 and +1 frame (default , and . for -1 and +1 frame)?
GrassValley_BH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2007, 12:50 AM   #10
SRsupport
Grass Cutter Gold

I only use the trim mode to nudge. For me Keyboard shortcuts in normal mode are way Faster.
For more information on the Grass Cutter program please visit: http://www.grass-cutters.net
SRsupport is offline   Reply With Quote

Go Back   Grass Valley Forums > Editors > Editing with EDIUS