Grass Valley Forums Facebook   Twitter   YouTube  

Go Back   Grass Valley Forums > Converters > ADVC

Old 08-01-2009, 03:24 AM   #1
acemedusa

Default To Canopus or not to Canopus

Have done most of my vhs transfers with the ADVC 300 and they turned out great. And now about to start on my 8mm, Hi8 collection.

Now my question is whether I should run my camcorder using s-video into the canopus or just connect the firewire cable direct from my cam into the computer instead for tranfering?
acemedusa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2009, 06:20 AM   #2
THoff

If you have a device that outputs DV via Firewire, just use that. The ADVC 300 can pass through the signal from another DV device, but a) some software doesn't handle multiple DV devices on the same bus correctly, and b) the ADVC doesn't do anything to enhance the DV output from the other device.
THoff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2009, 07:07 AM   #3
acemedusa

Ok,I have tried 2 tapes out. One ok, and the other looks faded a bit in colour due to age I'd say. I took your advice and went direct from cam to computer using firewire and all worked well.

I know the ADVC 300 can enhance colour,picture etc,but if I'm not using it can neo2 help me with this? (I have only just installed neo the trial. Not up and properly running yet)

Last edited by acemedusa; 08-01-2009 at 08:26 AM.
Old 08-02-2009, 12:55 PM   #4
kbosward

If your tapes really are Hi8 and not Digital8, it sounds to me like you're playing them on a Digital8 camera, and relying on the camera to convert the Hi8 analog signal to DV. If that is the case, you MAY get a slightly better conversion by connecting the S-video from the camera to the ADVC300. It's a matter of trying both to see what's better. Make sure you burn a captured clip to DVD and view it on your TV as that will be the definitive test.

Ken.
kbosward is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2009, 03:58 PM   #5
acemedusa

I'm transferring just regular 8mm tapes at present through a sony video walkman (it plays video 8,hi8,dig8) via the dv output. Looks ok so far. Will try the S-video through the canopus out tomorrow. Thanks
Old 08-03-2009, 04:30 AM   #6
acemedusa

Did a test with s-video and found the picture to be a bit more unstable. I also turned off the TBC and noise red on the video player while running it through the canopus.

Go Back   Grass Valley Forums > Converters > ADVC