Grass Valley Forums Facebook   Twitter   YouTube  

Go Back   Grass Valley Forums > Editors > Editing with EDIUS

Old 11-12-2019, 07:26 PM   #1
DigitalDave

Default Another one of those mp4 WTFs!

Just been sent an mp4- prestigious on-location fashion shoot. To do some simple enhancements "that will only take 5mins".
Put it on my Win10 laptop with 8.52 WG on as main system was in use doing some long encodes.

On the timeline video is black BUT the poster frames show and you can scan through in Properties tab. Plays in VLC and can be converted in Handbrake.
All others mp4s play on timeline so assume that Qucktime is working correctly. Installed and "ticked".

Cant see anything anything astray on the Media Info.

Just got back on main system Win 7 8.52 WG and it works.

Any ideas? Win 10 issue that needs a tweak?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg MI JPB.JPG (75.4 KB, 18 views)
DigitalDave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2019, 09:51 PM   #2
trillium

Sounds like a Win10 thing but so far all MP4's have played properly in Edius 9.4 and Win10.
Nvida 1060 OVC, CPU i7-8700 3.7GH
Edius 9.4
trillium is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2019, 11:56 PM   #3
antonsvideo

Quote:
Originally Posted by DigitalDave View Post
Just been sent an mp4- prestigious on-location fashion shoot. To do some simple enhancements "that will only take 5mins".
Put it on my Win10 laptop with 8.52 WG on as main system was in use doing some long encodes.

On the timeline video is black BUT the poster frames show and you can scan through in Properties tab. Plays in VLC and can be converted in Handbrake.
All others mp4s play on timeline so assume that Qucktime is working correctly. Installed and "ticked".

Cant see anything anything astray on the Media Info.

Just got back on main system Win 7 8.52 WG and it works.

Any ideas? Win 10 issue that needs a tweak?
I can tell you exactly what the issue is in Win10

go to EDIUS system settings and untick GPU acceleration for AVCHD

EDIUS 9 WG with Matrox MXO2, Asrock X99 Extreme 6, Intel Core i7 5960X Extreme Haswell-E 8-Core, Corsair Water Cooling, Nvidia Geforce GTX-980, Samsung 860 Pro SSD for System, 8TB Samsung Raid0 SSD for Video, 3 Pioneer BDR-209 Blu-ray/DVD burners, Hotswap Bay for 3.5" Sata and 2.5" SSD, Fractal Design Arc XL Tower, 32GB DDR4 Ram, Win7 Pro
antonsvideo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2019, 09:09 AM   #4
David Clarke

As Anton is so confident obviously try his solution first. However, the other question would be is "use QuickTime" ticked in the system settings. I have had some MP4s not work if this is not ticked. Also you could try updating to 8.53.
Desktop: 2Ghz 12 core Xeon processor, 32GB RAM, nVidia 1060, BM Intensity Pro, Windows 10
David Clarke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2019, 09:37 AM   #5
DigitalDave

Quote:
Originally Posted by antonsvideo View Post
I can tell you exactly what the issue is in Win10

go to EDIUS system settings and untick GPU acceleration for AVCHD

Drummmmmmm Rooooolllllll

Yes you were exactly correct. One untick and all is good. THANK YOU.
Why does this only effect some mp4s?

On an off topic note, I hope you are well away from the awful bush fires that are approching the suberbs of Sydney. Stay Safe.
Old 11-13-2019, 09:40 AM   #6
antonsvideo

Quote:
Drummmmmmm Rooooolllllll

Why does this only effect some mp4s?
that is under investigation

EDIUS 9 WG with Matrox MXO2, Asrock X99 Extreme 6, Intel Core i7 5960X Extreme Haswell-E 8-Core, Corsair Water Cooling, Nvidia Geforce GTX-980, Samsung 860 Pro SSD for System, 8TB Samsung Raid0 SSD for Video, 3 Pioneer BDR-209 Blu-ray/DVD burners, Hotswap Bay for 3.5" Sata and 2.5" SSD, Fractal Design Arc XL Tower, 32GB DDR4 Ram, Win7 Pro
Old 11-13-2019, 09:40 AM   #7
DigitalDave

Quote:
Originally Posted by David Clarke View Post
As Anton is so confident obviously try his solution first. However, the other question would be is "use QuickTime" ticked in the system settings. I have had some MP4s not work if this is not ticked. Also you could try updating to 8.53.
Hi David.
I had covered QT in my first post and yes Anton was spot on but I am puzzled as to why only some mp4s are affected.
Thanks anyway and keep off the nudist beach at Brighton!!!
Old 11-13-2019, 10:28 AM   #8
antonsvideo

yes, I also disliked source browser because it was super slow to transfer files compared to the win explorer way
then I discovered the cause and now it is super fast and I can start editing immediately after clicking add and transfer to bin with low res while the high res are downloading in the background

untick as seen in attached, that is what causes the issue, because it wants to generate waveforms by accessing the memory cards, I reported it but nothing has changed
Attached Images
File Type: png Anton-00237.png (11.7 KB, 24 views)

Old 11-13-2019, 10:53 AM   #9
antonsvideo

Quote:
Hi David.
Thanks anyway and keep off the nudist beach at Brighton!!!
that appears better then the smell of burning bush around here

Old 11-13-2019, 11:03 AM   #10
DigitalDave

Quote:
Originally Posted by antonsvideo View Post
yes, I also disliked source browser because it was super slow to transfer files compared to the win explorer way
then I discovered the cause and now it is super fast and I can start editing immediately after clicking add and transfer to bin with low res while the high res are downloading in the background

untick as seen in attached, that is what causes the issue, because it wants to generate waveforms by accessing the memory cards, I reported it but nothing has changed
As far as I could tell, you needed to import directly from the card and NOT the full set of card folders copied to the Hard Drive. That did not work for me on multicam shows where often the cards would be copied to a Hard Drive on site and for Prores mov on the BM recorders I see no benefit at all...but I stand to be corrected. For EX on SYS cards Sony's XDCAM Browser does the biz for me and for everything else Explorer.

Go Back   Grass Valley Forums > Editors > Editing with EDIUS