Grass Valley Forums Facebook   Twitter   YouTube  

Go Back   Grass Valley Forums > Editors > Editing with EDIUS

Old 11-07-2019, 08:03 PM   #1
EasternLook

Default Soft Edge Circle Around Talking Head

Software version 9.50.5351
I am now an infrequent user of my Edius Software.
I have yet to find a manual on how to use all the features of the software. I have to spend quite a bit of time searching the tabs or wait for days or weeks waiting for a response on the forums.
In previous videos that I have created for my church, I was able to put a soft circular border around the person talking. Now, I can't find that feature.
Can someone steer me to the feature? Thanks.
I saw in a similar post the suggestion to watch the tutorials. Where are they?

Last edited by EasternLook; 11-07-2019 at 08:52 PM.
EasternLook is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2019, 08:55 PM   #2
GrassValley_PS

Go to this link and download the FAVORITES
https://forum.grassvalley.com/forum/...t=36907&page=3

Unzip it and Import it into your Effects. Under the Blurs folder there is one that says Circle No Blur. You can apply that, customize it the way you want. If you don't want the hard circle, then go to Edge and drop the opacity along with checking the Soft button and setting that as desired.

Also, Automatic tracking has been added it you need to track someone with this Mask.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Circle Mask.JPG (289.5 KB, 21 views)
Main System: i7 6950X OC to 4.5GHz, ASUS RAMPAGE V EDITION 10, Corsair Dominator Platinum 64GB DDR4 2800, SAMSUNG 950 PRO M.2 512GB , GeForce GTX 1080 Founders Edition, Corsair AX1200i PS, Phanteks Luxe Case, 16TB RAID (4)HGST Deskstar NAS 4TB, Corsair H115i CPU Cooler, AJA Kona 4, BMD Intensity Pro 4K, Win 10

Last edited by GrassValley_PS; 11-07-2019 at 09:02 PM.
GrassValley_PS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2019, 09:05 PM   #3
GrassValley_PS

also imho, I think your characterization of having to wait on this forum for answers is a bit unfair. I checked your past posts and only 1 was not answered in a timely fashion (as in the same day). As it is, it is strange that that one post was not answered.
Main System: i7 6950X OC to 4.5GHz, ASUS RAMPAGE V EDITION 10, Corsair Dominator Platinum 64GB DDR4 2800, SAMSUNG 950 PRO M.2 512GB , GeForce GTX 1080 Founders Edition, Corsair AX1200i PS, Phanteks Luxe Case, 16TB RAID (4)HGST Deskstar NAS 4TB, Corsair H115i CPU Cooler, AJA Kona 4, BMD Intensity Pro 4K, Win 10
Old 11-07-2019, 09:47 PM   #4
EasternLook

Waiting for weeks or no answer at all has been the history of my experience with Edius/Canopus/DVRex software. Asking Qs is really my last resort when I just can't even find a clue of where to start when trying to find a procedure. The tutorials cover the very basics of editing and don't seem to scratch the surface of the myriad of features to the software.
As I stated, I am an infrequent user of the software so I am pretty much reinventing the wheel each time I need want to produce a video with more than just a standard fade transition between clips.
I'm sure my questions are pretty much mundane and repetitive from the perspective of the professional users but dang, ya all had to start from nothing at all at one time as well. I really don't think any of us are born with the intuitive knowledge of this software. Once the procedure is found, its's pretty easy, but when ya go for months at a time between uses, the knowledge tends to fade.
Old 11-08-2019, 12:45 AM   #5
DigitalDave

Quote:
Originally Posted by EasternLook View Post
Waiting for weeks or no answer at all has been the history of my experience with Edius/Canopus/DVRex software. Asking Qs is really my last resort when I just can't even find a clue of where to start when trying to find a procedure. The tutorials cover the very basics of editing and don't seem to scratch the surface of the myriad of features to the software.
As I stated, I am an infrequent user of the software so I am pretty much reinventing the wheel each time I need want to produce a video with more than just a standard fade transition between clips.
I'm sure my questions are pretty much mundane and repetitive from the perspective of the professional users but dang, ya all had to start from nothing at all at one time as well. I really don't think any of us are born with the intuitive knowledge of this software. Once the procedure is found, its's pretty easy, but when ya go for months at a time between uses, the knowledge tends to fade.
Every now and then, someone kicks off and makes a statement that is unfounded and untrue. Congratulations, you win the prize, a months subscription to AP.
I suspect if you asked most people here, they would say it is not unusual for questions to be answered within an hour or two. It is also NOT unusual for users, trying to assist, to request copies of files or mediainfo, in order to dig down to offer advice and it's amazing how long that sometimes take and in some cases those request are ignored.
I think the forum deserves an apology as this has not been the case on either the old Canopus forum, going back to the days of Mike D or the newer GV forum. For the record I joined back in 2003.
DigitalDave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2019, 01:38 AM   #6
LewS

Here is an idea EasternLook. Do what I and probably every other editor does. Create a timeline, put a clip on it. Go to the effects palette and one by one try every effect on that clip and see what it does. Learn how to adjust them and then when you want to do something like put a soft edge circle around a part of video in the future you will know what effect to use. That is how I learned to edit along with watching lots of video tutorials and reading the manual.

Also, there are ton of videos on YouTube (even the ones for earlier versions are still valid) that show how to use the program including some of the advanced effects like the mask and tracking. You might want to do a search and watch them.

Also, people like Dave Clark sell really good video tutorials that show just about everything you can do with the program.

Finally, the people on this forum are not paid to respond to your needs. They are users who check into the forum when they can and see if they can help other users. This is not a paid for support forum.

I think you owe an apology.
Old 11-08-2019, 01:45 AM   #7
EasternLook

Well I guess the frustrations of working software that has no real in depth instruction manual has got the best of me.
You have my apologies.
Each time I update my software, I regret it because things happen in the editing mode that usually take me weeks to figure out.
Example, I updated today to the 9.50.5351. Now, It looks like I have two video channels and they don't slide together when I try to trim. Also, when trying to adjust the position of a sound track, it doesn't move but instead the tail end gets longer. I really don't get it and can't really explain it. I don't like to come on forums to ask a question because a lot of the responses are to read the manual. Really? Read what, how to download a file? how to click on a tab? Nothing in the tutorials even mention how to put a soft oval border around the subject in the video. Is that something really bazaar that only I have thought of? I couldn't find anything remotely near that in the Favorites zip file that was posted. Seems it was dirt simple in the earlier versions of Edius, but I had to abandon that when my Windows XP machine finally quit. Now, the new and improved Edius provides a lot less than I had before with actually less speed in rendering and converting despite the HP supposedly having more processor power.
As for spending a lot of time testing each feature, dang, I have a lot of other stuff to deal with on a daily basis, but I get it. I need to spend more time tryin to figure this stuff out on my own.
I have another facet in life, Harleys. Lots of experience in fixing and modifying them. I spend time on the forums too answering questions that others have. Not once have I ever told someone to go plug around till they figure it out on their own. I tell them were the reference is along with steps to do the job.

Last edited by EasternLook; 11-08-2019 at 01:51 AM.
EasternLook is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2019, 01:51 AM   #8
LewS

I have sent you a private message.
Old 11-08-2019, 06:42 AM   #9
GrassValley_PS

Quote:
Originally Posted by EasternLook View Post
I couldn't find anything remotely near that in the Favorites zip file that was posted.
Huh? If you want a circle (or spotlight for that matter) around someone, it most certainly is there.
Did you follow my directions on how to do it? Ask if you have a specific question on what to do, but once you see how it works, it should take you all of about 10-15 seconds to do it.
Old 11-08-2019, 10:09 AM   #10
DigitalDave

Ken, I do understand your predicament as I have been going through similar "pain" learning a new Affinity DTP package that does not work like the old Quark, I had used for 15 years. Worse is finding out about a feature 3 months ago, from either RTFM, online tutorials or the support forum and then not remembering what it was I had to do when I needed to do it again.
My starting point on the Affinity foum is always, "What am I doing wrong?"
Way too many steam in with cries of BUG.

Back to video, and dare I say even worse is looking at something I did 2 years ago and not knowing how I achieved it!

I suppose use it or lose it comes to mind.
It sounds as though a lot of BASIC settings need to be tweaked ie extending clips, Ripple, Overwrite etc.

Hopefully LewS will sort you out.
DigitalDave is offline   Reply With Quote

Go Back   Grass Valley Forums > Editors > Editing with EDIUS