Grass Valley Forums Facebook   Twitter   YouTube  

Go Back   Grass Valley Forums > Editors > Editing with EDIUS

Old 06-08-2019, 09:08 AM   #11
antonsvideo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fred Dwyer View Post
Here are the SD settings for the DVD.
your project setting appears to be missing color space? I thought EDIUS 8.53 had that setting?
Attached Images
File Type: png AVP-0889.png (12.6 KB, 27 views)

EDIUS 9 WG with Matrox MXO2, Asrock X99 Extreme 6, Intel Core i7 5960X Extreme Haswell-E 8-Core, Corsair Water Cooling, Nvidia Geforce GTX-980, Samsung 860 Pro SSD for System, 8TB Samsung Raid0 SSD for Video, 3 Pioneer BDR-209 Blu-ray/DVD burners, Hotswap Bay for 3.5" Sata and 2.5" SSD, Fractal Design Arc XL Tower, 32GB DDR4 Ram, Win7 Pro
antonsvideo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2019, 02:27 PM   #12
BernH

Quote:
Originally Posted by antonsvideo View Post
your project setting appears to be missing color space? I thought EDIUS 8.53 had that setting?
I'm pretty sure it was in 8.53 too.

The colour space flag is normally 601 for SD and 709 for HD. Without this flag in your files, it is possible that other software and devices will treat them incorrectly.

Can you open and HD and an SD file in media info and see if there are colour space flags in the files?
Edius WG 9.40.5106, various 3rd party plugins, Win 7 Ultimate SP1, i7-4790K @ 4GHz with HD4600 GPU embedded, MSI Z97 Gaming 7 Motherboard, 32GB Kingston HyperX RAM, nVidia GTX680 4GB GPU, Matrox MX02 Mini MAX, Corsair 750W PSU, Corsair H110i GT Water Cooler, Corsair C70 case, 4TB Internal RAID 0/stripe (2x2TB Seagate SATAIII HDD's, Win7 Software RAID 0/stripe), 1TB Crucial MX500 SSD, Pioneer BDR-207D, Dual 1920x1080 monitors (one on GTX680 and one on Intel HD4600).
BernH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2019, 05:03 PM   #13
Fred Dwyer

Quote:
Originally Posted by BernH View Post
Sounds like something is adding an additional North American NTSC 7.5IRE setup/pedestal. Pedestal is usually only valid for analog signals. How are you hooked up/monitoring the DVD versus the spark card? Are your monitors (both computer and tv) calibrated or even adjusted by eye to show colour bars correctly?

I'm not familiar with the spark card, so I can't comment on any settings related to it.
I think we have an answer, a simple and foolish error on my part. As Bern asked above, it seems to be an improperly adjusted TV monitor, an overlay which I am totally unable to adjust, and a too conservative approach to monitoring the wave form.

I used color bars to adjust my TV monitor and the contrast had to come way down. This is the screen I monitor as I edit. Now the projects look as poor as they did played back from the DVD and from an MP4 on a Flash drive. I am rendering each of the 3 projects to give me a single file for each, on which I can lay a color balance filter and adjust saturation +13, brightness +31, contrast +23. That seems to give me a good looking file on my freshly adjusted monitor.

Unanswered question (not important) Why did the MP4 and the DVD's look bad on that same moitor? Player attached to the same HDMI input through an HDMI switch.

Important unanswered question: Why can't I adjust brightness and contrast on the overlay? There are boxes to check on the NVIDEA control panel to select the NVIDEA adjustments for each monitor. Then in the EDIUIS System settings there are check boxes to select control by NVIDA. I checked these (did I miss one?) but adjusting NVIDEA does absolutely nothing to the overlay.
Win 7 Pro-64 bit, EDIUS Workgroup 8.5, Intel Ivy Bridge i5, ASUS P8Z77-V-LK, 8GB Kningston DDR3, Pioneer BDR-209UBK, EVGA NVIDEA GEForce GT630, Corsair TX750M 750w Power Supply, 4 WD Black HDD for 3.15TB, ACEDVIO, Spark HD, eSATA controller, ANTEC 300 case.

Last edited by Fred Dwyer; 06-08-2019 at 05:14 PM.
Fred Dwyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2019, 06:54 PM   #14
BernH

Quote:
Unanswered question (not important) Why did the MP4 and the DVD's look bad on that same moitor? Player attached to the same HDMI input through an HDMI switch.

Important unanswered question: Why can't I adjust brightness and contrast on the overlay? There are boxes to check on the NVIDEA control panel to select the NVIDEA adjustments for each monitor. Then in the EDIUIS System settings there are check boxes to select control by NVIDA. I checked these (did I miss one?) but adjusting NVIDEA does absolutely nothing to the overlay.
Fred, the answer to question one, without knowing all the nitty gritty details of settings, was actually answered by you. With the monitor not adjusted correctly, it will not display what the actual file or disc looks like. Most consumer TV's have all kinds of wacky settings applied by default, such as dynamic contrast and brightness, and vivid colour, all of which should be turned off and manually adjusted to get an accurate re-production.

Answer to questions 2 involves a little bit of speculation on my part, as I am not one of the software engineers that codes Edius. Most software video overlay is handled by directx, which essentially allows software a more direct access to the hardware, making a "video window" that is somewhat independent of the GPU drivers. If your monitors and gpu driver are adjusted so that a set of colour bars looks about right when displayed as a standard graphic, which normally the GPU driver settings are close to on defaults, then the video overlay should also be pretty accurate, because the actual monitor brightness and contrast settings are adjusted to relatively accurately reproduce the colours, contrast and brightness, that the overlay window is presenting.

Philips used to make a monitor that, via software control, allowed you to define where the video overlay was placed on screen and adjust just that section in the monitor itself, but this of course caused oddities when using other software, so the best solution is to just run up a set of full screen bars an twiddle with the monitor settings and GPU driver settings as required.
Edius WG 9.40.5106, various 3rd party plugins, Win 7 Ultimate SP1, i7-4790K @ 4GHz with HD4600 GPU embedded, MSI Z97 Gaming 7 Motherboard, 32GB Kingston HyperX RAM, nVidia GTX680 4GB GPU, Matrox MX02 Mini MAX, Corsair 750W PSU, Corsair H110i GT Water Cooler, Corsair C70 case, 4TB Internal RAID 0/stripe (2x2TB Seagate SATAIII HDD's, Win7 Software RAID 0/stripe), 1TB Crucial MX500 SSD, Pioneer BDR-207D, Dual 1920x1080 monitors (one on GTX680 and one on Intel HD4600).
Old 06-08-2019, 11:33 PM   #15
Fred Dwyer

Quote:
Originally Posted by BernH View Post
Fred, the answer to question one, without knowing all the nitty gritty details of settings, was actually answered by you. With the monitor not adjusted correctly, it will not display what the actual file or disc looks like. Most consumer TV's have all kinds of wacky settings applied by default, such as dynamic contrast and brightness, and vivid colour, all of which should be turned off and manually adjusted to get an accurate re-production.
I think you misunderstand, not a surprise with the torrent of symptoms I laid on you.
TV monitor "A" receiving output from my system playing an MP4 file displayed a fine contrasty picture. Copy the MP4 file from the system to a flash card, plug the flash card into the blu-ray player, switch the HDMI from the system to the Blu-ray player, and play the MP4 in the Blu-ray player and the image on TV monitor "A" is all washed out. Same file, same TV, same HDMI input on the TV, different results.

Thanks to all who offered help. I have now produced the required count of Flash drives for project 1 and will start on project 2 tomorrow.

My system is at 8.5 not 8.53. Clearly I need to update it and will, but not before I've delivered these 3 projects.

A big thanks to all who have helped me through the years. I've aged out and am not physically able to continue this business. As a matter of fact for the last few years all I've done is work for my church. So if you hear from me from time to time, it'll be as an amateur doing things to suit myself. I do love working with EDIUS.
Win 7 Pro-64 bit, EDIUS Workgroup 8.5, Intel Ivy Bridge i5, ASUS P8Z77-V-LK, 8GB Kningston DDR3, Pioneer BDR-209UBK, EVGA NVIDEA GEForce GT630, Corsair TX750M 750w Power Supply, 4 WD Black HDD for 3.15TB, ACEDVIO, Spark HD, eSATA controller, ANTEC 300 case.
Old 06-09-2019, 12:17 AM   #16
BernH

Quote:
I think you misunderstand, not a surprise with the torrent of symptoms I laid on you.
TV monitor "A" receiving output from my system playing an MP4 file displayed a fine contrasty picture. Copy the MP4 file from the system to a flash card, plug the flash card into the blu-ray player, switch the HDMI from the system to the Blu-ray player, and play the MP4 in the Blu-ray player and the image on TV monitor "A" is all washed out. Same file, same TV, same HDMI input on the TV, different results.

Thanks to all who offered help. I have now produced the required count of Flash drives for project 1 and will start on project 2 tomorrow.

My system is at 8.5 not 8.53. Clearly I need to update it and will, but not before I've delivered these 3 projects.

A big thanks to all who have helped me through the years. I've aged out and am not physically able to continue this business. As a matter of fact for the last few years all I've done is work for my church. So if you hear from me from time to time, it'll be as an amateur doing things to suit myself. I do love working with EDIUS.
With that little bit of additional detail, I don't really have an answer. If it's the same TV it should look the same unless the file does not have the colour space flags that we mentioned. Without them, there is no telling what the file playback via your BD player will do, as there is nothing to tell the player what colour space to use. Once again though, this is all speculation, since I am not there to analyze your particular setup.

I have only been an Edius user since version 7 was released and it became a viable replacement for my beloved Fast/Pinnacle/Avid Liquid, so I don't know how much of my help that can be counted in your thank-you, but I am grateful and happy to be of assistance.
Old 06-09-2019, 12:57 AM   #17
Fred Dwyer

In fact I've been an EDIUS user since it was the RexEdit 3.0 we all had been waiting for. We waited for RexEdit 3.0 but got EDIUS 1.0 instead. I'll upgrade to 8,53, but I'm afraid that's where my EDIUS stops.
Old 06-09-2019, 01:16 AM   #18
BernH

Quote:
In fact I've been an EDIUS user since it was the RexEdit 3.0 we all had been waiting for. We waited for RexEdit 3.0 but got EDIUS 1.0 instead. I'll upgrade to 8,53, but I'm afraid that's where my EDIUS stops.
I do remember the old Canopus Raptor/Rex products. I used to work for a pro A/V dealer and personally grew (as in building, servicing, selling and training) the NLE business from the mid 90's up until the mid-late 2000's. I have actually sold some of the DV Raptor and DV Rex products, as well as some of the early Camopus I/O cards like the ACEDVIO, but my focus was on Matrox and Fast (the latter of which was bought by Pinnacle and then Pinnacle by Avid).

I anticipate being at this kind of stuff for at least another 20 years myself, but I still look after some of my clients from my days at the Pro dealer that are like yourself. I have one client in particular that is 74 and will just not stop, but he always tells me that it is only because my assistance that he is able to keep going. If not for that assistance, he would have retired 10 years ago.

He just got back from a 6 week shooting trip aboard a factory freezer shrimp fishing ship in the Arctic. I have been his tech support for over 20 years, and have also been called in to help him finish some of his projects. I already have been "told" that I have to help him finish this one.

I enjoy the technology and trying to keep up with it. If I can be of any assistance in the future, wherever your road takes you, please don't hesitate to ask.
Old 06-29-2019, 05:49 PM   #19
Fred Dwyer

Quote:
Originally Posted by antonsvideo View Post
For the record, no 8.53 does not have the color space setting.
Old 06-29-2019, 06:54 PM   #20
Ron Evans

Quote:
For the record, no 8.53 does not have the color space setting.
It is in PCC first line at the top. Color space for source as well as output. LUT's can also be used at that setting too. So you would need to apply PCC to see this of course.

Threadripper 1920 stock clock 3.7, Gigabyte Designare X399 MB, 32G G.Skill 3200CL14, 500G M.2 SATA OS, 500G EVO 850 temp. 1T EVO 850 render, 6T Source, 2 x 1T NVME, MSI 1080Ti 11G , EVGA 850 G2, LG BLuray Burner, BM IP4K, WIN10 Pro

ASUS PB328 monitor, BenQ BL2711U 4K preview monitor, EDIUS 8.53WG, Vegas 16, Resolve Studio 16

Cameras: GH5S, GH5, FDR-AX100, FDR-AX53, DJI OSMO Pocket, Atomos Ninja V
Ron Evans is offline   Reply With Quote

Go Back   Grass Valley Forums > Editors > Editing with EDIUS