Grass Valley Forums Facebook   Twitter   YouTube  

Go Back   Grass Valley Forums > Editors > EDIUS: Compatible Third Party Products

Old 05-05-2019, 11:18 PM   #11
Seemedia

Edius has the best tools for it. Just try and learn.

Edius 9 Workgroup

Writer/Director. Director of Photography. Motion Picture and Sound Editor. Colorist.

https://facebook.com/chyrowski
https://www.youtube.com/c/PawelChyrowski
https://vimeo.com/pawelchyrowski
Seemedia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2019, 07:40 AM   #12
ulyssesvideo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hobbes View Post
My footage is 8bit V-Log 100Mb/s UHD (Panasonic FZ2000). To get the highest possible quality that I can watch on my TV I convert my film to HLG. I make my project settings with bt2020HLG. Then I colorgrade my V-log footage with MB Looks in V-log and convert it with PCC to HLG. To watch this on a monitor it should be a HDR-Monitor, but it is still expensive so I do the colorgrading with the edius 9.31 HLG scopes . After that I export my film in HQX mov and encode it with HandBrake to h265 to get a compatible Export for my TV.

Yes , your are right. My tutorial is about how I can get the best of my footage that is only 8bit V-log 100 Mb/s UHD. Alfter a lot of attempts my final Export is 10bit h265 VBR 60 Mb/s UHD.

converting it to HLG is a waste of time... your not get anything extra by doing that... vlogL is not a HLG format file.
so please explain how your getting HLG from a log video that doesn't contain any HLG information?
if you want TRUE HLG video files.... use a camera that films in HLG.
ulyssesvideo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2019, 10:03 PM   #13
Hobbes

Quote:
Originally Posted by ulyssesvideo View Post
converting it to HLG is a waste of time... your not get anything extra by doing that... vlogL is not a HLG format file.
so please explain how your getting HLG from a log video that doesn't contain any HLG information?
if you want TRUE HLG video files.... use a camera that films in HLG.
There is a White Paper that explains a lot. Take a look at Figure 7 Instantaneous HLG production workflow with Log camera at page 8

https://www.ediusworld.com/wp/wp-con...Conversion.pdf

and there are many useful informations about GH5 in the mysterybox blog

https://www.mysterybox.us/blog/2018/...nic-gh5s-hdr10

Edius 9.5,TMPGEnc VMW 6, HandBrake 1.2.2, Blender, Red Giant MB

i7 5820k, 32 Gb RAM,NH-U14S, MSI X99s SLI Plus, MSI GTX 1060, WIN 10 Pro (SSD Samsung EVO 850), 3 HDD

Panasonic FZ2000 V-Log

TV Sony KD 55X8507C(4k HDR10/HLG), Player Sony UBP-X800 (UHD)
Hobbes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2019, 04:05 AM   #14
ulyssesvideo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hobbes View Post
There is a White Paper that explains a lot. Take a look at Figure 7 — Instantaneous HLG production workflow with Log camera at page 8

https://www.ediusworld.com/wp/wp-con...Conversion.pdf

and there are many useful informations about GH5 in the mysterybox blog

https://www.mysterybox.us/blog/2018/...nic-gh5s-hdr10
I think you better understand the main difference of what HLG is....
HLG is great becasue your getting extra dynamic range to handle low and highlight. more so than vlog L.... by converting the vlog l to HLG, you not increasing the dynamic range of a clip.. you mainly enabling your clip enbed info to tell your monitor to play the clip in HDR mode....
you want to edit true HLG .... get a camera that records HLG and go from there. your not gaining anything by filming in log then editing in HLG... but if you want your HLG monitor to display hdr than you must export to HLG.
really at the end of the day.. you want true HLG.... record in HLG.

Last edited by ulyssesvideo; 05-12-2019 at 10:32 AM.
Old 05-12-2019, 07:33 AM   #15
Peterjames

Quote:
Originally Posted by ulyssesvideo View Post
you want to edit true HLG .... get a camera that records HLG and go from there. your not gaining anything by filming in log then editing in HLG... but if you want your HLG monitor to display hdr than you must export to HLG.
really at the end of the day.. you want true HLG record in HLG.
I always thought that HLG was intended as a display format and not for acquisition as a master to have extensive editing and colour grading applied later. For basic cutting and limited grading then HLG is okay for quick turn around HLG output. I am not familiar with the Panasonic VLog but on my Sony I use SLog for capture that gives me a wide gamma and gamut range and then edit for output to HDR, HLG or Rec 709 etc. Peter
Old 05-12-2019, 07:37 AM   #16
Seemedia

You have to record, edit, export HLG then play it on HLG Monitor. Otherwise, it doesn't make sense. You will not even see it on a ordinary r709 monitor.

Edius 9 Workgroup

Writer/Director. Director of Photography. Motion Picture and Sound Editor. Colorist.

https://facebook.com/chyrowski
https://www.youtube.com/c/PawelChyrowski
https://vimeo.com/pawelchyrowski
Seemedia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2019, 07:52 AM   #17
Peterjames

Recording in Log as a master (preferably in 10bit or above) normally gives a much wider choice of options for grading and out putting to HDR, HLG or Rec709 etc as needed later. Peter

Last edited by Peterjames; 05-12-2019 at 09:42 AM.
Peterjames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2019, 10:29 AM   #18
ulyssesvideo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peterjames View Post
Recording in Log as a master (preferably in 10bit or above) normally gives a much wider choice of options for grading and out putting to HDR, HLG or Rec709 etc as needed later. Peter
maybe so..but if you record in HLG from camera to export you will get a better choice of options for grading.
if you want the best option to master your footage...shot raw metadata if possible.
thanks
Old 05-12-2019, 10:36 AM   #19
ulyssesvideo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peterjames View Post
I always thought that HLG was intended as a display format and not for acquisition as a master to have extensive editing and colour grading applied later. For basic cutting and limited grading then HLG is okay for quick turn around HLG output. I am not familiar with the Panasonic VLog but on my Sony I use SLog for capture that gives me a wide gamma and gamut range and then edit for output to HDR, HLG or Rec 709 etc. Peter
that idea went out the window....HLG give you more options to colour grade your footage, and with software your able to export it to a format to be displayed on a HDR monitor or downconvert it for non HDR monitors.

log L and s log are the same concept. hense the word LOG.
Old 05-12-2019, 01:24 PM   #20
Ron Evans

My understanding of HLG is that it was developed by BBC and NHK so that they could create programs that could be broadcast for both SDR and HDR TV's could have acceptable views of the same program. The HDR set would be correct and the SDR set would see just a slightly dimmed image that the user could correct with their TV controls unlike PQ10 or Dolby. Hence a more universal transition to HDR for the public. The spec is 10bit so the Sony HLG etc on some of their camcorders do not meet the spec as they are 8bit. Panasonic meets the spec so for some resolutions it is not available on the GH5 or GH5S as 10bit is only available for internal recording at some frame rates. I specifically got my Ninja V so that I could record UHD 60P HLG externally over HDMI which is then 10bit. The GH5's will record HLG internally at 1920x1080. Lots of test have shown a wider dynamic range on the GH5's in HLG than V Log. Not much but more. Also it is of course easy to view on monitors.

I have two reasons to record in HLG. I do so on the full stage view camera for recording shows and so an archive of this camera is of value in HDR. Second it gives more freedom in exposure which is always a compromise for stage shows in the theatre. I have the Leeming LUT to convert to rec709 so that I can make DVD and Bluray.

I accept it is possible to create a HLG output from Vlog but unless that is 10bit it will not be true HLG and all you will be doing is applying a different log curve. To get the full advantage one needs the 10bit 4:2:2 information which you will not get from an 8 bit 4:2:0 recording.

Threadripper 1920 stock clock 3.7, Gigabyte Designare X399 MB, 32G G.Skill 3200CL14, 500G M.2 SATA OS, 500G EVO 850 temp. 1T EVO 850 render, 6T Source, 2 x 1T NVME, MSI 1080Ti 11G , EVGA 850 G2, LG BLuray Burner, BM IP4K, WIN10 Pro

ASUS PB328 monitor, BenQ BL2711U 4K preview monitor, EDIUS 9.5 WG, Vegas 16, Resolve Studio 16

Cameras: GH5S, GH5, FDR-AX100, FDR-AX53, DJI OSMO Pocket, Atomos Ninja V
Ron Evans is offline   Reply With Quote

Go Back   Grass Valley Forums > Editors > EDIUS: Compatible Third Party Products