Grass Valley Forums Facebook   Twitter   YouTube  

Go Back   Grass Valley Forums > Editors > EDIUS: Compatible Hardware and Accessories

Old 12-20-2018, 11:16 PM   #1
Thomas Eduis

Default Quick Sync not working on New i7 computer

I'm new to this form and I've only used it a time or two. I hope I'm not breaking any rules. I'm uncertain about how the forms works, but I surely need it for help as I'm taking my video editing to the next level. I have a new computer. It is an i7 8th Generation with a Asus H370M-Plus motherboard and a Quadro P2000 video card. 32GB of 2400 speed Ram.
I've studied and studied it and can't seem to get any answers from the computer builder and I'm waiting to hear back from Edius Tech Support but now I'm reaching out to the community.
At first when I exported there was no Hardware Encoder to check. I took out the p2000 quadro and then hooked up my monitor to the on-board intel graphics card. The hardware encoder box was there but I'm not sure its working fully. I tried to update the diver as advised by a form, but I got a message saying there was no update available but I'm not so sure about that. I put he p2000 back in and hooked up to it. When I exported I was happy to see the box there for hardware encoder. But that was biter sweet because I was not working. below is a series of tests I did that might help you see what's going on. My laptop rocks because I hardware encoder. I need it on my big machine more then anything. The tests below was for a 1 minute and 24 second save and the gopro footage was shot in 2.7K at 60FPS and a resolution of 60M. when I exported I saved at onlyy 9M.

INTEL on board
QUICK SYNC checked USING INTEL: 1.24: clip took = 3 Min & 25 Sec
NO QUICK SYNC checked USING INTEL: 1.24: clip took = 4 Min & 32 Sec

QUADRO P2000
QUICK SYNC checked USING P2000: 1.24: clip took = 7 Min & 19 Sec
NO QUICK SYNC checked USING P2000: 1.24: clip took = 4 min & 43 Sec

Tom Riccobono in New York City
standuptommy.com
Thomas Eduis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2018, 10:11 AM   #2
David Clarke

You need the intel GPU working to get quick sync so it should be working when you are only using the Intel and when using the Quadro you need to have a second monitor plugged into the on board GPU.

3 mins for a 1 min 24 sec clip is long. Are there a lot of other filters and effects going on at the same time? What are the project settings? Obviously it takes longer to encode a 4K timeline than an HD timeline.

If you have Windows 10 look in the task manager when encoding. There is a section on the performance tab which shows the usage of the GPUs and you can see if the Intel GPU is being used when encoding.
Desktop: 2Ghz 12 core Xeon processor, 32GB RAM, nVidia 1060, BM Intensity Pro, Windows 10
David Clarke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2018, 11:52 AM   #3
Thomas Eduis

Default Wow!

David Clark, I am so impressed you replied to my post. You have been one of my main teachers. I'm a gigantic major fan of you and your videos. I've been studying with you nightly in the wee hours for a long time now. Anyhow sorry to get emotional. LOL.. Here is the low down on all that. Yes there is a ton of effects stuff on the 60P 2.7k Footage. A ton. Stabilization, Primary Color Correction, Color Wheel, Color balance and also audio filters on 2 audio tracks. It's shot with a gopro at a high bit rate of 66257kbps. I use a 1080 timeline. I normally shoot in 30FPS. I happen to have had this footage handy and thought I'd like to tax my new machine. I realize the effects are overkill but the footage was shot in a dark poorly lit bar and I had to get extreme.

I did look at my task manager. When exporting/saving with the P2000 installed the intel graphic reads zero and the p2000 is at 23 percent. The CPU is at %100.

When exporting without the p2000 installed, the intel graphics in the task manager.... (I think was only 3 percent or something) I can't quite remember but it was active and the P2000 was at zero so the intel was doing the work. CPU also at 100 percent. I spent a lot of money on this new machine and I'm kind of freaking that it's not my dream machine.... Yet. I did hook up a 2nd monitor using one of the old school monitor hook up cables. I forget what they are called. It is the only cable I had handy and there was a port for it on the intel onboard graphics card. I ran it into a small 19 inch TV that had the same old school port. The test proved the same. Intel card read zero during export. I find it odd that when "checking" the hardware encoder using the p2000 card ....it doubles the export time. Unchecked it's twice as fast. I read somewhere that I have to go into the bios and tell the machine what to do. That is beyond my pay grade as they say. The reason it is urgent is... I only have another 10 days to return this unit if I can't figure this out. I bought it from a company that makes video editing machines. The were to be experts but I'm surprised this problem seems to be beyond them as well. Thank You very much. Tom

standuptommy.com
Old 12-21-2018, 12:06 PM   #4
David Clarke

You have a primary colour corrector on the clip which can use the GPU to do the work. If it defaults to the GPU when the Intel is active, and the second screen is on, that would slow down Quick Sync because the Intel would be doing the Quick Sync and the primary CC.

Ideally have the second screen on the Intel, and set the PCC and GPU transitions to be done by the Quadro. This can be set in systems settings - effects- colour correction and GPUfx.

Having said that the Quadro is not that powerful anyway and according to this site: https://gpu.userbenchmark.com/Compar...m7708vsm359294
only marginally more powerful that the on-board Intel. Personally I use G-Force cards because they are more powerful for the money than Quadros but a lot of system builds use Quadros as they are the "professional" option.

To test the Quick Sync is working, use a clip without effects. If it is Quicker with Quick Sync and you get some usage from the Intel GPU (it is never 100%) then you know QS is working.

The reason you have 100% CPU and a bit Intel when it is working is the CPU is working flat out doing the effects before handing it to the Intel GPU for encoding. You should have less CPU and more Intel usage if you have a clip with no effects.

I assume when you have the second screen connected you can see a picture on the attached TV? Some motherboards do not activate the Intel GPU if there is another one in the system, unless you specifically enable a multi-monitor option in the bios. It you get a picture then it is active.
Desktop: 2Ghz 12 core Xeon processor, 32GB RAM, nVidia 1060, BM Intensity Pro, Windows 10
Old 12-22-2018, 12:18 AM   #5
Thomas Eduis

Default Here here

That is somewhat mind blowing to me. I checked out that link up provided. Here I thought I was getting somewhat "the cream of the crop" in video cards. I saw a lot of reviews online saying the quadro is a pro unit that's good when money does not matter so much and it's higher end. It happened to have come with the rig I chose. Might my answer be just to leave the p2000 quadro out of the mix? They sell for 450 us. I looked at the specs and I can't seem to find out how many gb the on board intel card is. If you don't mind the questions, I'd ask..... Is there any notable benefits to having a dedicated graphics card considering my rig. I'm pretty into color grading. I'm somewhat a novice but I have a passion for it and study it intensively. A lot of time practicing.

standuptommy.com
Old 12-24-2018, 11:02 AM   #6
David Clarke

A bit late reply, sorry. The on board shares memory with the computer. In some BIOS you can tell it how much to use - mine says 1GB as the top setting. I am not sure if it uses more.

I prefer to have a decent card as well - normally an nVidia. It does not do much with EDIUS - you can use it for the Primary colour & CPU transitions. However, if you use other plug-ins like Neat Video, VisTitle, Ignite FX which also use the graphics card then they will benefit from a decent card.

They will work using the on-board but they will work better using a proper card. Then if you use other programs that use the GPU (After Effects, Resolve, Blender) then it is worth having a proper card.

I normally buy a regular GeForce card because they are cheaper for the amount of power. The Quadros are the "professional" cards which means they are supposed to be better made and more "robust". They get fewer driver updates as well which means you possibly get less problems with driver changes. It used to be that some programs would only support acceleration using Quadros (Avid for example) but even that has changed now.

Personally, I use a 6GB 1060 card which is not too expensive but pretty powerful, but I also use programs like Resolve and Blender which need a good graphics card.
Old 12-31-2018, 12:04 PM   #7
Thomas Eduis

Default Spot on

Thanks David, Once again you are spot on with your last response. I've been in a deep study of all this, perhaps I should have waited before weighing in with a question.

So here goes. Yes the Quadro's are pricey but according to all I've learned they are configured to work best and more proprietary for video editing. I was in a 1 hour chat with a Quadro tech support person. He seemed certain that the internal and external GPU's could not be used together..... I know now he is wrong... I think.
I'm on the verge of figuring it out. I have a friend who is a computer tech that I am waiting for. I don't completely trust myself when it comes to going into the bios.

MY LAPTOP: I have an Asus laptop.... I7 with a 970 Geforce card. Model # ROG GL752VW. It's a gaming laptop that works very well for video editing. I did a test and I see this "factory made" unit has the quicksync hardware encoder and while editing, I can see in the task manager performance tab that both the Nivida and the internal intel graphics card are both working while editing with Edius. So I'm pretty sure I'm going to figure this out unless of course for some reason the Quardo card does not allow what the Geforce cards do.
I do love my new desktop computer and I'm feeling confident that I'm going to be able to keep it. Thanks again. I have 100 more questions that I'm going to post about all things under the Edius and Editing rainbow. If I'm lucky, you'll weight in on some of them. Thanks again, Tom

standuptommy.com

Go Back   Grass Valley Forums > Editors > EDIUS: Compatible Hardware and Accessories