Grass Valley Forums Facebook   Twitter   YouTube  

Go Back   Grass Valley Forums > Editors > Editing with EDIUS

Old 01-12-2018, 03:25 AM   #1
elahnz

Default IMPORTING GFX Files at better compression

We are working in a newsroom and have everything set to DV25.
Live footage doesn't look that bad but animated graphics and stills brought in at DV25 look like ***** - artifacts/visual compression.
Is there a way we can import GFX in a better compression/codec and use on the same timeline as DV25 footage?
Cheers.
elahnz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2018, 05:38 AM   #2
antonsvideo

yes, GV Lossless or GV HQ Fine will do

EDIUS 9 WG with Matrox MXO2, Asrock X99 Extreme 6, Intel Core i7 5960X Extreme Haswell-E 8-Core, Corsair Water Cooling, Nvidia Geforce GTX-980, Samsung 860 Pro SSD for System, 8TB Samsung Raid0 SSD for Video, 3 Pioneer BDR-209 Blu-ray/DVD burners, Hotswap Bay for 3.5" Sata and 2.5" SSD, Fractal Design Arc XL Tower, 32GB DDR4 Ram, Win7 Pro
antonsvideo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2018, 12:34 PM   #3
3pointedit

Remember that if you are exporting to the Stratus in your newsroom it will be using the DV25 codec as a house format. It will eventually be compressed to this format. If the graphics are coming from the Stratus then they will already have been encoded at DV25 (or DVPro50 if you're lucky) or possibly AVC Intra 100 if its in HD.

You can of course circumvent the DV25 format by importing media directly to the project but that will mean that the media is not registered on the Stratus for producers/journalists to look at. Bear in mind that you will still be exporting it to DV25 eventually.

My best advice is to make sure that the colours are legal (for SD transmission) and perhaps apply DCT smoothing to eliminate compression artefacts around high contrast colours.
Old 01-18-2018, 11:46 PM   #4
elahnz

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3pointedit View Post
Remember that if you are exporting to the Stratus in your newsroom it will be using the DV25 codec as a house format. It will eventually be compressed to this format. If the graphics are coming from the Stratus then they will already have been encoded at DV25 (or DVPro50 if you're lucky) or possibly AVC Intra 100 if its in HD.

You can of course circumvent the DV25 format by importing media directly to the project but that will mean that the media is not registered on the Stratus for producers/journalists to look at. Bear in mind that you will still be exporting it to DV25 eventually.

My best advice is to make sure that the colours are legal (for SD transmission) and perhaps apply DCT smoothing to eliminate compression artefacts around high contrast colours.
That all sounds great if only I knew how to do all that. Training and support where I work has been minimal.
elahnz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2018, 02:53 PM   #5
3pointedit

In Edius bin window right click and select Add File, use Transfer to Project and choose the file you want to use. It would probably be on a USB stick? This will be copied directly into your project folder and should play perfectly in Edius.

The quality will be better in the edit suite but will suffer upon export, this is unavoidable when using DV25 as a delivery codec.

Go Back   Grass Valley Forums > Editors > Editing with EDIUS