Grass Valley Forums Facebook   Twitter   YouTube  

Go Back   Grass Valley Forums > Editors > EDIUS: Compatible Hardware and Accessories

Old 12-06-2018, 08:36 PM   #1
trillium

Default Sorry about the Edius spec rukus

Hey guys been reading the back and forth on my request for a lowish-ish end system spec for Edius Pro 9. The only reason I'm upgrading from E6.56 is that my IT guys are making me switch my 9-year old Alienware i7 to Win10 so I figured upgrading to Edius 9 would be needed. I've used Edius since it first came out so I know it works well on a medium to low powered environment mostly for HD. Presently I don't see moving to 4k until we get 4k cameras. I basically produce one HD project a year for a video annual report and several talking head interviews a year so no real major tech stress. I can't even order a non-Dell system without getting a vice-president to sign-off so they will get what they pay for. The video main video I produce is aimed at fundraising for a an EDU research center so money is always tight for my hardware needs.

One big question went that went unanswered or non-specicified - Will the built-in HD audio on the mobo suffice for Edius Pro9- I've always used a sound card with Edius - I know the spec says sound card and I can order one of course but the spec says Hi-DEf audio codec for the onboard audio chip. After hearing all the back and forth I'm just praying that what I've ordered, a Dell 3630 precision Tower with an i-7 8700 12mb cache 6-core 3.7G-4.6g, Nvideo quadro 1000 4-gig, 16-g ram 2666mhz Udimm non ECC, 2, 7200rpm satas with a 512 GB class 40 boot drive will at least let me do HD and in the future some minimal 4K. Know the video card isn't great but it's much better than my current Nvida GTS 240. I can always buy another video card if this doesn't suffice.

Anyway thanks for all the answers and suggestions sorry it turned a bit personal as these things sometimes do on forums! I assume I'll be ordering a sound card?!?

Last edited by trillium; 12-06-2018 at 08:45 PM.
trillium is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2018, 09:13 PM   #2
BernH

Quote:
Originally Posted by trillium View Post
Hey guys been reading the back and forth on my request for a lowish-ish end system spec for Edius Pro 9. The only reason I'm upgrading from E6.56 is that my IT guys are making me switch my 9-year old Alienware i7 to Win10 so I figured upgrading to Edius 9 would be needed. I've used Edius since it first came out so I know it works well on a medium to low powered environment mostly for HD. Presently I don't see moving to 4k until we get 4k cameras. I basically produce one HD project a year for a video annual report and several talking head interviews a year so no real major tech stress. I can't even order a non-Dell system without getting a vice-president to sign-off so they will get what they pay for. The video main video I produce is aimed at fundraising for a an EDU research center so money is always tight for my hardware needs.

One big question went that went unanswered or non-specicified - Will the built-in HD audio on the mobo suffice for Edius Pro9- I've always used a sound card with Edius - I know the spec says sound card and I can order one of course but the spec says Hi-DEf audio codec for the onboard audio chip. After hearing all the back and forth I'm just praying that what I've ordered, a Dell 3630 precision Tower with an i-7 8700 12mb cache 6-core 3.7G-4.6g, Nvideo quadro 1000 4-gig, 16-g ram 2666mhz Udimm non ECC, 2, 7200rpm satas with a 512 GB class 40 boot drive will at least let me do HD and in the future some minimal 4K. Know the video card isn't great but it's much better than my current Nvida GTS 240. I can always buy another video card if this doesn't suffice.

Anyway thanks for all the answers and suggestions sorry it turned a bit personal as these things sometimes do on forums! I assume I'll be ordering a sound card?!?
The built in sound card should work fine, if you are not using a video output card, like an AJA, Blackmagic or Matrox.

If you have a video output card, when enabled as a preview device, Edius routes all of it's playback video and audio to that card, so you have to either monitor audio from the card or from the video monitor that the card is feeding. If the video monitor has any noticeable processing delay, you will have to monitor audio from the video monitor, or else you will have A/V sync issues. This usually more of an issue with consumer grade TV's than it is for higher end professional monitors.
Edius WG 9.52.6153, various 3rd party plugins, VisTitle 2.8.0.5, Win 7 Ultimate SP1, i7-4790K @ 4GHz with HD4600 GPU embedded, MSI Z97 Gaming 7 Motherboard, 32GB Kingston HyperX RAM, nVidia GTX680 4GB GPU, Matrox MX02 Mini MAX, Corsair 750W PSU, Corsair H110i GT Water Cooler, Corsair C70 case, 4TB Internal RAID 0/stripe (2x2TB Seagate SATAIII HDD's, Win7 Software RAID 0/stripe), 1TB Crucial MX500 SSD, Pioneer BDR-207D, Dual 1920x1080 monitors (one on GTX680 and one on Intel HD4600).
BernH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2018, 09:53 PM   #3
noafilm

You made a good choice hardwarewise considering your lower budget, this system will last you a few years even if you use it to edit 4K footage. That your vice president won't sign off for a non-dell system is most likely because all pc's used in your company are dell, there is a reason why companies don't buy second hand pc's or mix pc brands, that would be a nightmare for the IT department. :) I know as I used to work in a company with 70K + employees and had DELL as only pc supplier.

Like Bernh says the build in soundcard is fine if you just want to connect some speakers directly, all depends on your needs, I have a external USB 2.0 audio interface because I was getting some interferance with my studiomonitors (like a buzzing sound in the background) and with a external card that went away + I noticed the sound coming out of my speakers sound a lot better now then when it was connected directly to my motherboard audio interface.

One thing I"m not sure about is to make quicksync work on a dell pc, you might have to make some changes in the bios and from what I recall from my dell pc's that I have used in the past was that certain bios functions where sometimes locked, something that DELL added probably to prevent users from messing up their system and calling upon dell support to fix it. Not sure how they do that now as what I am talking about has been many years ago.

Quicksync is a function you don't want to miss as it can make quite a difference, even if the i7 8700 is no slow processor.

Your videocard should be fine as well if you want to use it for Edius only, Edius does not rely on a seperate videocard as much, unless you use gpu accelerated effects a lot or plugins like neatvideo as that will make a difference. As long as you have no intentions to play the latest games then it's just fine but I guess your vice-president would not sign-off on that either :)

And don't worry about discussions getting heated from time to time, there is nothing wrong with a good discussion as that gives you more options to think about, also GV is very good at keeping everyone in check here which makes this one the most friendliest places to ask questions, unlike unmoderated places like youtube where things can get ugly quickly.

Last edited by noafilm; 12-06-2018 at 10:33 PM.
noafilm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2018, 11:46 PM   #4
dpalomaki

Built-in (motherboard) sound is a lot better these days than it was a few years ago. It sounds like doing significant audio editing/sweetening is not high on you task list. Give it a try, especially if funds are scarce. You can always add if it proves to not meet your needs.

Separate audio and video output paths can result in apparent sound sync issues that are not in the original audio. Using a unified output like one of the BM cards or the good old GV HD Spark can mitigate this.
dpalomaki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2018, 07:27 PM   #5
trillium

Thanks Noafilm I had placed my sound card query on Edius hardware forum as well and I appreciate you and other members taking time to respond, it's certainly one of the great aspects of Edius as opposed to Adobe forums. We have Adobe Cloud here but I much prefer Edius to the Adobe interface. There's nothing like first-hand info from users to make editing with Edius an excellent experience. Probably the only thing wrong with my old Alienware system are the gigs and gigs of Windows updates.
trillium is offline   Reply With Quote

Go Back   Grass Valley Forums > Editors > EDIUS: Compatible Hardware and Accessories