Grass Valley Forums Facebook   Twitter   YouTube  

Go Back   Grass Valley Forums > Converters > ADVC

Old 08-10-2014, 06:03 AM   #1
lightglass

Default ADVC300 and OS X Mavericks compatibility

Hello,

I searched the forum and googled this question, but there doesn't seem to be a definitive answer on this. I understand ADVC300 is discontinued and not expected to be supported, but can anybody confirm if this device will work/be recognized on your Mac if it is running OS X Mavericks? It'd be nice to know if anybody has gotten this to work flawlessly and if not, what you did to troubleshoot any of the problems that came about. So far it works on Mountain Lion, so I haven't updated yet because of my concerns that this device won't work if I upgrade. I use it quite often and don't really want to buy another device. Thanks in advance.
lightglass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2014, 07:55 PM   #2
THoff

Unless Apple removed support for DV devices, it should work. I'm not a Mac guy so I can't try it to confirm, but I would put money on it working just fine.
THoff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2014, 08:31 PM   #3
DRZ400SY

I just got a mac (new to mac) with Mavericks and have a Canopus 300 that I used with my now retired XP PC. I have heard it should work based on other peoples expereince with mac operating systems I also asked at the mac store). There was nothing in teh settings that indicated it could not convert teh file and read into imovie. I plan to test it this weekend if the installation disk has the dmg file. on it. It is tough to find accurate information without testing it yourself. Hope this somewhat helps.
DRZ400SY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2014, 08:49 PM   #4
DRZ400SY

One more thing is that it looks like I need to converters. One from the 6 pin firewire (back of ADVC300) to the 9 pin firewire. Then from the 9 pin firewire to the thunderbolt. From what is out there it is doable but will need to be checked. These connectors exist and an apple employee indicated it should work. Need to test.
Old 09-01-2014, 02:01 PM   #5
DRZ400SY

Default Canopus ADVC300 with Mac OS Mavericks

I was able to get the Canopus ADVC300 to work with Mac Mavericks and iMovie 10.0.5 and here are a few lessons learned:

1. The Canopus ADVC300 Installation Version 1.0 package can be installed per the instructions BUT will not run because it uses Power PC and Mavericks does not support this "old" coding. The last version to support this was Mac OS 10.6 Snow Leopard. A newer software version would be to be written.

2. The Canopus Let'c Convert Installation Release 1.0 had a similar issue as the ADVC300 Installation disk so newer coding would be needed.

3. The good news is the Canopus ADVC300 does not need the software installed on the computer (it would make it easier though). Functions can still me made within the ADVC300 unit. Here is how I have it hooked uP:

Hi8 camcorder --> Svideo and red/white audio --> Canopus ADVC300 --> firewire 6 pin to 9 pin --> 9 pin firewire to thunderbolt adaptor --> Mac Book Pro

4. Being new to Mac I am using the import option in iMovie 10.0.5. I have a few issues to work out here as well but at least I can get video in for archiving. The issue I am working on is: What is iMovie doing to the video to get it to the .mov file format? I have a call into Apple with the following questions:

- Can I change the import format (.mov,mp4 part 10 (H.264)), data rate, size (4:3,16:9) of the import?
- Does iMovie do any transcoding (potential for dropped frames un-synced audio) and if so what are the specs for this (.mov)?
- Does iMovie do any signal processing such as single or dual pass processing of the video, and does it use constant or variable data rates (and what are they)?
- Is there a way to even change it to good, better, best for importing and what are the specs?

A lot of this has to do with the quality of the video (yes it can't be "improved") but it would be nice to get the video imported into its best format for archiving. To me this is a important issue for when archiving.

Regards.
Old 09-01-2014, 03:02 PM   #6
dpalomaki

The ADVC video output is a DV stream, like from MiniDV camcorder, 4:1:1 (NTSC) and somewhat lossy. I suspect that iMovie is a very basic product, and the Final Cut Pro package is what you would want as an Apple product on a MAC for serious editing. (I understand that Edius Pro will run on a MAC under a Windows emulator but have no experience with that.)

Some folks will argue that you should be capturing to a 4:2:2 lossless format to obtain the best possible results with converted video, especially if you plan to color correct, filter, or edit in the future. However, whether or not the difference is worth the extra effort is personal decision. Many people feel it is not.

Dropped frames, loss of audio sync, transcoding, and single/double pass relate to the video capture, processing, editing, and authoring software and capability of the computer it resides on, and is unlikely to be an issue with the ADVC300.

Breaks in the DV data stream can result form tape playback defects which can stop capture, or put gaps in portions of it. That is a major concern with old consumer analog tape sources. Dropped frames can result from insufficient available processing speed or drive speed.

The standard DV stream is CBR at about 25 Mbps for the video
For VBR: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Variable_bitrate
For CBR: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Constant_bitrate
For more on iMovie: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/IMovie
dpalomaki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2014, 07:03 PM   #7
DRZ400SY

Thanks for adding this information as it will give me a few things to look at. I am just getting back into the video stuff as the last time (2005) I imported it I did edited it and realized it was degrading the quaility.

Do you know what kind of quality the .mov format is (apple proprietary)? Or can I change the option in iMovie to bring it in as something else? I have adobe premiere pro (importing and editing) on my old dying XP then used DVDit (authoring it). Mixed reviews on final cut (need to read more). Goal at this point is equal to same quaility, minimum loss and just archive it. Editing/authoring it may come later. Mainly because formats keep changing.

Big question is the quality of what I am getting with .mov format.
Also working on getting ADVC software to work if there is a work around.
Regards.
Old 09-02-2014, 01:51 PM   #8
dpalomaki

I don't know iMovie or its available options. I do know that apple tends to be a closed system that does not "play well with others" to use an old kindergarden reports card phrase. With the right tools, CODECs, and work flow it prtobably matters not much whether you use .MOV, .AVI, or some other format as long as it gets along with the rest of your system.

Output quality (e.g., to DVD) depends on the quality of the input video and the capability of the software that transcodes the video to the DVD format. Because it is lossy encoding and has a limited bit rate the encoded quality is greatly affected by video noise.

A noisy video signal will give a poor encode (noise eats up bits) - and most analog home video from the VHS/8mm days has a lot of noise. For that matter just about anything shot in poor light, even with today's gear,will likely have a lot of noise.

The DV signal output by the ADVC is compressed, so noise will hurt the other aspects of image quality (e.g., sharpness and resolution). The ADVC's internal noise reduciton settings should help if matched to the input video.
dpalomaki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2014, 05:05 AM   #9
lightglass

Hey everyone,

Thank you for taking the time to answer my question. And DRZ400SY, thank you for letting me know about your experience. I mostly use Final Cut Pro so I can't completely opine on iMovie. I do have a few test files that had an extension of .dv, but that is with iMovie '11. I know there was a big redesign of iMovie 10.0, so I'm not sure if it still imports files with that format anymore.

I think I will try this out soon and when I do I'll be sure to report back with my experience as well.
lightglass is offline   Reply With Quote

Go Back   Grass Valley Forums > Converters > ADVC