Grass Valley Forums Facebook   Twitter   YouTube  

Go Back   Grass Valley Forums > Editors > Editing with EDIUS

Old 12-02-2010, 10:46 PM   #1
rando

Default Proxy Editing/field editing

Just so I understand.1. I import all my footage into Edius to make a wedding video. 2. I choose "Create Proxy" then the footage gets converted to a low res project in the background. 3. If I want to edit on say a laptop I go to "field editing" and choose "check out" this will put my project in low res on say a thumb drive. 4. I then edit on my laptop in low res5. when its done I bring back to my main system open the project and select "check in" it will import the project and let me go back to full res to deliver it. Is that right??

Asus sabertooth MB Z97 16 gigs of ram SSD system and edit drives Nvidia GTX-660 video card
rando is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2010, 01:45 AM   #2
Rusty

Yes
Yes
Yes
Yes
:~)
Pretty cool.

You can pick Proxy Mode on your desktop editor and the proxys are made in the background. To top it off, if a client needs DVD's in the field, you can make low-rez DVDs from your laptop!

An inglorious peace is better than a dishonorable war.
Twain - "Glances at History" 1906
Rusty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2010, 04:16 AM   #3
rando

o.k. cool thanks Rusty I just wanted to make sure I have the work flow right. When I upgrade I may get a i-3 laptop to go with it. Id like to just have to use a thumb drive im getting tired of carrying full blown 3.5 inch drives around with me.

Asus sabertooth MB Z97 16 gigs of ram SSD system and edit drives Nvidia GTX-660 video card
Old 12-03-2010, 02:27 PM   #4
Philip

Quote:
Originally Posted by rando View Post
o.k. cool thanks Rusty I just wanted to make sure I have the work flow right. When I upgrade I may get a i-3 laptop to go with it. Id like to just have to use a thumb drive im getting tired of carrying full blown 3.5 inch drives around with me.
I just did a wedding Same Day Edit with V6 in Proxy mode last weekend on a Core2Duo laptop that is about 1.5 years old. Worked like a charm. Made the edit easier. With my SDEs there are always little pockets of time I have to stop editing and go do other stuff. When I get back the proxy files are all done. Made handling the m2t and DSLR files together a snap. The final encode will take a little longer because you are working with native files but no big deal. Of course you turn off proxy mode for the final encode.

I love the proxy mode so far....one of my favorite new features. I did try the check in and out process to see how it works on a small project. Worked great.

Laptop. Sony Vaio. CPU- i7-Gen 3, 8gb RAM, 1tbb 5400rpm hard drive, AMD GPU
Philip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2010, 02:56 PM   #5
Marc Hens

Default proxy editing system requirements

Hi,

Will Grass Valley publish system requirements for proxy editing?
I have a VERY OLD laptop. I wonder if it could handle the stuf.

Marc Hens
laptop: Windows 10 64 bits - Intel i7 6700 - 32 GB RAM - nVIDIA Geoforce GTX1060 - 256 GB m2 SSD + 500 GB Sata-SSD + 1 TB SATA
Marc Hens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2010, 03:25 PM   #6
mattie

here is a typical proxy file - test it out on your laptop.

you might have to rename the .extension to .MXF

ie testfile.mxf

and import as normal - if this plays and edits then proxy files will work fine on your laptop
Attached Files
File Type: zip proxy file.avi.zip (1.14 MB, 20 views)
mattie is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2010, 05:05 PM   #7
Philip

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marc Hens View Post
Hi,

Will Grass Valley publish system requirements for proxy editing?
I have a VERY OLD laptop. I wonder if it could handle the stuf.

Marc Hens
It would probably work pretty well on any dual core laptop. Problem is the conversion may take a while on a slower computer. It's not like converting to HQ files but does take a little time. Good part is it does it in the background so you can continue working with the full rez versions till the proxy ones are done. Everytime you stop working the proxy files get created in the background.

If your laptop is able to capture HQ on the fly from a HDV camera it could handle proxy files pretty well I would think.

Old 12-03-2010, 09:04 PM   #8
rando

isnt the conversion done on your main system? I thought the laptop only edits then saves it to be imported back into the main system for output.

Old 12-03-2010, 09:12 PM   #9
Philip

Quote:
isnt the conversion done on your main system? I thought the laptop only edits then saves it to be imported back into the main system for output.
Yes you are correct about the conversion being done before checking out. I was thinking of when you dump the original data right on that slow laptop before proxies are made...it will have to generate at that point. If you project is setup on a bigger system then only the proxies go to the laptop. For my SDE it was all imported to the laptop on site. Still made it easier to edit.

Old 12-03-2010, 11:38 PM   #10
GrassValley_SL

Quote:
It depends. If you offload a card on you laptop in the field and want to use Proxy mode the proxies will be created by your laptop.
There are numerous workflows in which Proxies are created in the field. Without using the check in check out option but by using Proxy/ High-res.
If this is the main flow in which proxies will be used an i7 is ideal. For example same day edits.

Please don't send me Private Messages for support. Contact Grass Valley support
GrassValley_SL is offline   Reply With Quote

Go Back   Grass Valley Forums > Editors > Editing with EDIUS