Grass Valley Forums Facebook   Twitter   YouTube  

Go Back   Grass Valley Forums > Editors > EDIUS: Compatible Third Party Products

Old 05-14-2018, 12:58 PM   #11
BernH

Quote:
Originally Posted by omre View Post
I used 1920x1080 mxf files. i recorded with 2 cameras (Sony FS7 & FS5) in S-log.
I try to use the proxy mode but it's the same trouble
I'd say your problem then is the XEON issue as Anton suggested. Not much can be done to get around that.
Edius WG 9.20.3340, Win 7 Ultimate SP1, i7-4790K @ 4GHz with HD4600 GPU embedded, MSI Z97 Gaming 7 Motherboard, 32GB Kingston HyperX RAM, nVidia GTX680 4GB GPU, Matrox MX02 Mini MAX, Corsair 750W PSU, Corsair H110i GT Water Cooler, Corsair C70 case, 4TB Internal RAID 0/stripe (2x2TB Seagate SATAIII HDD's, Win7 Software RAID 0/stripe), 1TB Crucial MX500 SSD, Pioneer BDR-207D, Dual 1920x1080 monitors (one on GTX680 and one on Intel HD4600)

Last edited by BernH; 05-15-2018 at 04:12 PM.
BernH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2018, 01:52 PM   #12
omre

Quote:
Originally Posted by BernH View Post
I's say your problem then is the XEON issue as Anton suggested. Not much can be done to get around that.
It's clearly a bad news, my Dell 7910 is supposed to be "optimised" to work with video. I don't understand why they don't used quicksynck processor
omre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2018, 03:22 PM   #13
Jerry

If you are working in 8bit interlaced 25i, then you should be able to get real time with at least a 4790k. It doesn't work that way with 10bit progressive 29.97p though.
I can get the track with the key on it to play in RT, but placing a clip beneath the effect track results in having to render.
If you own the Tutorials and you need help, PM me.

Vistitle YouTube Channel
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCMVlxC8Am4qFbkXJRoPAnMQ/videos

Windows 10 Pro (v.1607) Tweaks for Edius 8 users
http://sgdvtutorials.com/WIN%2010%20...%20v.1.5.0.pdf

Main System: Azrock Z97 Extreme 6, 4790K@4.7Ghz, 32gb ram, Corsair H110, Win10 Pro 64, Samsung 850 pro, E7.5/8.5/E9 on separate SSD drives, HD Spark, Intensity Shuttle, 12tb RAID 0 on backplane ,2 BD, Benq 27 and Hanns-G 28 monitors, CC 2017, GTX 980ti Classified.
Both systems on Gigabit network
Second System: EditHD Ultimax-i7, X58, 980x@3.74, Corsair H80, Win764, 24gb ram, Storm 3g, Samsung 840 Pro 256, 4tb and 6tb RAID 0 on backplane, GTX 780, Edius 9, Apple 30", Samsung 24", dual BD.
Jerry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2018, 09:41 AM   #14
David Clarke

To be fair to Dell "optimised for video" is a vague term and does not say what video. Most editing programs do not use Quick Sync and so it is better to have more cores and more power. It also used to be the case that some programs, notably Avid, only gave acceleration with Quadros and Quadros are still touted as the "professional choice" compared to standard GPUs.

This does not help your problem but may make you feel happier about the computer.
Desktop: 2Ghz 12 core Xeon processor, 32GB RAM, nVidia 1060, BM Intensity Pro, Windows 10
David Clarke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2018, 01:18 PM   #15
BernH

Quote:
Originally Posted by omre View Post
It's clearly a bad news, my Dell 7910 is supposed to be "optimised" to work with video. I don't understand why they don't used quicksynck processor
Most XEON processors don't have quicksync. In order to have quicksync, the CPU has to have an intel GPU core in it. Ergo, most XEON don't have an Intel GPU core.

Quote:
Originally Posted by David Clarke View Post
To be fair to Dell "optimised for video" is a vague term and does not say what video. Most editing programs do not use Quick Sync and so it is better to have more cores and more power. It also used to be the case that some programs, notably Avid, only gave acceleration with Quadros and Quadros are still touted as the "professional choice" compared to standard GPUs.

This does not help your problem but may make you feel happier about the computer.
Further to David's comment, and as I have said in other posts, back in the days when a normal desktop CPU could not be multicore, XEON was the only way to get multiple cores in a computer, and likewise Quadro graphics cards were designed for workstations running a lot of CAD and 3D modeling. Consequently, those products USED TO be "optimized for animation/video/CAD, etc." and it is a mystique that for many, still follows them today, even though it is not the case any more.

However, a lot of video editing softwares, Edius included, have discovered ways to make better use of the hardware that is designed for the "gamer", and therefore tend to get better general performance from those components, so i7/i9 CPUs and GTX or Radeon GPUs are normally the better choices for hardware.

Don't get me wrong, the XEONs and Quadros will still probably be better for doing very CPU intensive tasks like 3D modeling and animation or H264 CPU based encoding, but unless the software you are using is designed to make use of them, a higher end "gamer" system is often the better choice.

Also, to make matters worse, brand name systems like HP, Dell, Compaq, etc. are often not using the fastest hardware. They fill the roll of being "Tier 1" computer manufacturers that cater to big business and government, where it is more important for the the system build to be "tried and true" for stability purposes and ease of management across a large number of installed systems.

They often do this by not using the newest generation of hardware, and not pushing the hardware performance to the limit, both of which will make a piece of video editing software perform below it's potential.

In this game, you are often better off with a system custom built for the software you intend to use. In this light, as I have also said in other posts, I have built custom configured systems for people that have gotten 12 -13 years of editing out of them, because I used high end desktop grade components that were tailored around their choice of edit software, and it didn't cost them as much as a dual CPU XEON would have. Admittedly, 12-13 years is the extreme end of the life cycle of the systems I have built, but there have been several of my clients from my days as a system integrator that have had similar life cycles with their systems, and even though I no longer work as an integrator, when these clients wanted new systems, they sought me out to build them new ones, instead of going for the HP, Dell, Compaq, etc.

This is where a good system integrator can help you realize the full potential of a piece of software.
Edius WG 9.20.3340, Win 7 Ultimate SP1, i7-4790K @ 4GHz with HD4600 GPU embedded, MSI Z97 Gaming 7 Motherboard, 32GB Kingston HyperX RAM, nVidia GTX680 4GB GPU, Matrox MX02 Mini MAX, Corsair 750W PSU, Corsair H110i GT Water Cooler, Corsair C70 case, 4TB Internal RAID 0/stripe (2x2TB Seagate SATAIII HDD's, Win7 Software RAID 0/stripe), 1TB Crucial MX500 SSD, Pioneer BDR-207D, Dual 1920x1080 monitors (one on GTX680 and one on Intel HD4600)

Last edited by BernH; 05-15-2018 at 04:18 PM.
BernH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2018, 03:54 PM   #16
Jerry

The problem is that seasoned system integrators are a dying breed. Custom designed and built systems aren't cheap. However, they will be current longer, therefore of more value to the customer.
There are several companies that do make really good custom systems. None of which, are cheap. Also, none of which(in general) are local.

I design and build systems but it isn't my job. It's not about the money for me. It's about the quality of the build and the willingness of the customer to open his or her wallet for the appropriate parts.

Since building systems isn't my main source of income, I can be very, very picky for whom I build. This saves me several giant headaches. I've turned away more offers than units I've built.

This is the problem for integrators. The seasoned builders are charging for the parts, the build, and the big part.... the research that goes into getting the exact parts that work well together. This I call the "Formula."
Hacks just buy parts and slap them in a box.

Also, the customer wants a custom system for the price of an off the shelf model at Best Buy. Good luck with that.

If you find a good integrator, definitely support them and not try to nickel and dime them to death. Otherwise, just stick to buying stock off the shelf computers.
Sorry for going off topic.
If you own the Tutorials and you need help, PM me.

Vistitle YouTube Channel
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCMVlxC8Am4qFbkXJRoPAnMQ/videos

Windows 10 Pro (v.1607) Tweaks for Edius 8 users
http://sgdvtutorials.com/WIN%2010%20...%20v.1.5.0.pdf

Main System: Azrock Z97 Extreme 6, 4790K@4.7Ghz, 32gb ram, Corsair H110, Win10 Pro 64, Samsung 850 pro, E7.5/8.5/E9 on separate SSD drives, HD Spark, Intensity Shuttle, 12tb RAID 0 on backplane ,2 BD, Benq 27 and Hanns-G 28 monitors, CC 2017, GTX 980ti Classified.
Both systems on Gigabit network
Second System: EditHD Ultimax-i7, X58, 980x@3.74, Corsair H80, Win764, 24gb ram, Storm 3g, Samsung 840 Pro 256, 4tb and 6tb RAID 0 on backplane, GTX 780, Edius 9, Apple 30", Samsung 24", dual BD.
Jerry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2018, 08:54 AM   #17
omre

@BernH very interesting reply about the manufactor thank you

However, My Xeon don't have the intel GPU core but with this:
https://www.intel.com/content/www/us...elerators.html
It's could be the solution ?
omre is offline   Reply With Quote

Go Back   Grass Valley Forums > Editors > EDIUS: Compatible Third Party Products