Grass Valley Forums Facebook   Twitter   YouTube  

Go Back   Grass Valley Forums > Editors > Editing with EDIUS

Old 11-26-2008, 11:18 PM   #1
ralphbowman

Default Which codec for a cd/dvd mailer

A non profit group I help wants to mail 300 dvds or cds to be played on the computer when it arrives to the prospect. I am trying to maintain the beauty of the nature shots... I am not sure what route to go. DVD with Windows Media compression, DVD with a windows media file only, a CD with an MPeg1 file, a DVD with an avi file only, and on and on?
Some of these configurations will play in REAL and WINDOWS MEDIA and others will only play in NERO. OR sometimes the REAL will have no sound.
Some one mentioned getting away from DOLBY...do I have the configurations in EDIUS 4.6 and the procoder express to meet these needs?

Thanks a whole lot for any suggestions...

Ralph Bowman
ralphbowman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2008, 02:45 PM   #2
Jerry

Quote:
Originally Posted by ralphbowman View Post
A non profit group I help wants to mail 300 dvds or cds to be played on the computer when it arrives to the prospect. I am trying to maintain the beauty of the nature shots... I am not sure what route to go. DVD with Windows Media compression, DVD with a windows media file only, a CD with an MPeg1 file, a DVD with an avi file only, and on and on?
Some of these configurations will play in REAL and WINDOWS MEDIA and others will only play in NERO. OR sometimes the REAL will have no sound.
Some one mentioned getting away from DOLBY...do I have the configurations in EDIUS 4.6 and the procoder express to meet these needs?

Thanks a whole lot for any suggestions...

Ralph Bowman
One way is to create an auto run setup so that it runs to a splash screen and then to the buttons that choose the selections. You can also have links on the screen for the particular player that you wish to use. You might consider flash as a format as well as WMV, QT, Real(no big fan here)or MPEG
I guess the type of disc that you use would depend on the size and type of files being laid onto the disc.

Flash is becoming more and more visible on the web and on CD's.

I recently did a project that had a full DVD menu on the video side and a full autorun menu on the DVD-ROM side. When the disc was inserted into the computer it loaded the splash screen and then the full menu that I designed in Photoshop and then added the links in the autorun creation program-Auto Run Pro Enterprise. It is a wysiwyg style program.
This type of presentation is not only functional, but it looks very professional.
And once you finish the videos, it is pretty quick to assemble.

I am not sure if express has .flv output capability. I do know that Procoder 3 does, as well as Sorrenson Squeeze. You can download a trial or even free video to flash converters by searching the web for free flash convertors.

Worst case scenario is that you just add the file(s) to a cd/dvd with a readme file with links to the players on the web or you include the actual players on the disc.
If you own the Tutorials and you need help, PM me.

Vistitle YouTube Channel
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCMVlxC8Am4qFbkXJRoPAnMQ/videos

Windows 10 Pro up to v.1803 Tweaks for Edius Users
http://sgdvtutorials.com/WIN%2010%20...%20V.2.0.0.pdf

Main System: Azrock Z97 Extreme 6, 4790K@4.7Ghz, 32gb ram, Corsair H110, Win10 Pro 64, Samsung 850 pro, E7.5/8.5/E9 on separate SSD drives, HD Spark, Intensity Shuttle, 12tb RAID 0 on backplane ,2 BD, Benq 27 and Hanns-G 28 monitors, CC 2019, GTX 1080ti SC Black.
Both systems on Gigabit network
Second System: EditHD Ultimax-i7, X58, 980x@3.74, Corsair H80, Win764, 24gb ram, Storm 3g, Samsung 840 Pro 256, 4tb and 6tb RAID 0 on backplane, GTX 980ti Classified, Edius 9, Apple 30", Samsung 24", dual BD.
Jerry is offline   Reply With Quote

Go Back   Grass Valley Forums > Editors > Editing with EDIUS