Grass Valley Forums Facebook   Twitter   YouTube  

Go Back   Grass Valley Forums > Editors > Editing with EDIUS

Old 11-25-2012, 01:49 PM   #1
Bassman

Default Mask Filter Question/Help

Hello,

I am doing some work with a mask using the mask filter and wanted to ask about a usage issue I am finding.

The subject is moving a bit in my footage so I am moving the mask and adding keyframes. When I click and drag the mask I want to be able to advance the timeline with the left and right arrows. This would be the quckest workflow...move mask, arrow forward in time, move mask again.

What is happening is the left and right arrows continue to move the mask. So I have to click inside each window to "activate it" with every position! This is made worse by the CTI sometimes being moved from its position due to the click putting it somewhere else.

So I am asking if anybody has a workaround (there is that word again) to get to a better workfow? I seem to remember this working the other way in the past? No, yes? The current state is just too many clicks for this type of work.

Thanks!
Bassman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2012, 02:04 PM   #2
Jerry

The mask is a great tool....when used in the right situation. For having a mask
and motion I use After Effects. Using the rotoscope tool
makes quick work of lifting elements out of a video. Most of the work is automated and you don't have to redraw the mask on each frame.
If you own the Tutorials and you need help, PM me.

Vistitle YouTube Channel
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCMVlxC8Am4qFbkXJRoPAnMQ/videos

Windows 10 Pro up to v.1803 Tweaks for Edius Users
http://sgdvtutorials.com/WIN%2010%20...%20V.2.0.0.pdf

Main System: Azrock Z97 Extreme 6, 4790K@4.7Ghz, 32gb ram, Corsair H110, Win10 Pro 64, Samsung 850 pro, E7.5/8.5/E9 on separate SSD drives, HD Spark, Intensity Shuttle, 12tb RAID 0 on backplane ,2 BD, Benq 27 and Hanns-G 28 monitors, CC 2019, GTX 1080ti SC Black.
Both systems on Gigabit network
Second System: EditHD Ultimax-i7, X58, 980x@3.74, Corsair H80, Win764, 24gb ram, Storm 3g, Samsung 840 Pro 256, 4tb and 6tb RAID 0 on backplane, GTX 980ti Classified, Edius 9, Apple 30", Samsung 24", dual BD.
Jerry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2012, 02:37 PM   #3
Bassman

I agree, After effects is always better at everything, but I prefer to work inside Edius as the mask is dealing with color correction in this instance. Other times I am putting a circle around an athlete and need to move it to follow the player.

So is there a better way? I do not have Edius 6 installed to compare if it was different but I think it was.
Old 11-25-2012, 02:39 PM   #4
GrassValley_SL

Jerry, wou don't have to redraw to mask for every frame in EDIUS. You can adjust the nodes of your original mask. :)

Please don't send me Private Messages for support. Contact Grass Valley support
GrassValley_SL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2012, 02:47 PM   #5
GrassValley_SL

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bassman View Post
Hello,

I am doing some work with a mask using the mask filter and wanted to ask about a usage issue I am finding.

The subject is moving a bit in my footage so I am moving the mask and adding keyframes. When I click and drag the mask I want to be able to advance the timeline with the left and right arrows. This would be the quckest workflow...move mask, arrow forward in time, move mask again.

What is happening is the left and right arrows continue to move the mask. So I have to click inside each window to "activate it" with every position! This is made worse by the CTI sometimes being moved from its position due to the click putting it somewhere else.

So I am asking if anybody has a workaround (there is that word again) to get to a better workfow? I seem to remember this working the other way in the past? No, yes? The current state is just too many clicks for this type of work.

Thanks!
I don't understand your issue because I can move in the time line with the arrows .
I let EDIUS create the keyframes automatically so when I go back to the time I just click the keyframe.

Is it possible to do a screen capture so I can see what you mean? Maybe I can offer some help .

Old 11-25-2012, 02:57 PM   #6
Jerry

Quote:
Originally Posted by GrassValley_SL View Post
Jerry, wou don't have to redraw to mask for every frame in EDIUS. You can adjust the nodes of your original mask. :)
I look at that as having to redraw. We need a quick select tool like photoshop, and automatic edge recognition after the first selection has been made.

If I have to adjust the mask on each frame that makes for a tedious workflow.

For putting a circle around an athlete, it is pretty easy. But, for detailed extractions it is a pain.

Vistitle YouTube Channel

Main System: Azrock Z97 Extreme 6, 4790K@4.7Ghz, 32gb ram, Corsair H110, Win10 Pro 64, Samsung 850 pro, E7.5/8.5/E9 on separate SSD drives, HD Spark, Intensity Shuttle, 12tb RAID 0 on backplane ,2 BD, Benq 27 and Hanns-G 28 monitors, CC 2019, GTX 1080ti SC Black.
Second System: EditHD Ultimax-i7, X58, 980x@3.74, Corsair H80, Win764, 24gb ram, Storm 3g, Samsung 840 Pro 256, 4tb and 6tb RAID 0 on backplane, GTX 980ti Classified, Edius 9, Apple 30", Samsung 24", dual BD.
Old 11-25-2012, 03:02 PM   #7
GrassValley_SL

That would be cool.
I have become proficient with the mask tool that the things I need to do I can do really fast.:)

Old 11-25-2012, 03:12 PM   #8
mattie

@BASSMAN You can do what you want by re assigning the frame advance keys from the simple arrow keys to something else

you can make them alt+arrow

now when working in a mask the arrow keys will move the mask and the alt+arrow will move the cursor on the timeline

hope this is of some help - maybe this can be refined a bit more

goto settings> user settings > keyboard shortcut

category : Preview

Maybe a simple USB controlled would be the best option all round eg Shuttle-Xpress - altho I have not tested it!

Last edited by mattie; 11-25-2012 at 03:49 PM.
mattie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2012, 03:45 PM   #9
Jerry

This is more of what I was referring to with video and the mask tool.

Rotoscope on Beach.mp4

Vistitle YouTube Channel

Old 11-25-2012, 03:51 PM   #10
Bassman

Thanks for your help Mattie. I re-assigned the move forward & back 1 frame keys to the number "9" and "0" and tried to work with the mask filter.

The new keyboard shortcuts were ignored! In normal editing, the 0 & 9 keys move the CTI one frame. When I open the mask filter the 0 & 9 keys are disabled and the arrow keys go back to moving the CTI one frame.

But, this issue still remains that a selected mask will "take over" the arrow keys and listen to their commands. So I do not think changing the keystrokes would work as it would follow to the new keys.

What we need is the timeline to remain active while selecting the mask in the mask filter. Or be able to assign separate command keys to move the mask so you could use the arrow keys to advance the CTI. Right now, it seems this tool has been hobbled.

Could I ask a GV person to look into this?

Go Back   Grass Valley Forums > Editors > Editing with EDIUS