Grass Valley Forums Facebook   Twitter   YouTube  

Go Back   Grass Valley Forums > Converters > ADVC

Old 05-14-2011, 07:28 PM   #1
sfrost2004

Default ADVC 100 problem not capturing VHS signal or showing preview in iMovie 09

Hello

I'm trying to digitise several (as in about a hundred) VHS tapes, but I've run into two problems before I've even begun.

I've got two major problems; The first being iMovie 09 won't capture VHS from my VCR (but it will capture analogue output from a DVD recorder) and the second is iMovie isn't giving me any video/audio preview when capturing video.

I've connected my VCR to the ADVC 100 ports on the front of the box via a scart to RCA composite cable. Then I've connected the ADVC to my MacBook Pro (Snow Leopard, 10.6.6) via the 4-pin FireWire port on the front to my Macs' 9-pin Firewire 800 port using a 6-pin to 9-pin adapter.

When I switch on the ADVC, iMovie detects it and properly names it in the "Camera" drop-down box and opens the capture window with a blue screen. Sometimes (if I've just opened iMovie and this is the first capture I've done) it says "Play" in the top left hand corner of the preview. Since this is the first time I've used any analogue-digital hardware and iMovie, I'm not sure whether this is significant or not.

If I try to capture footage by clicking the "import" button, whether my VCR is playing or not, iMovie says it is recording (the red recording dot appears in the timer) but the timer does not start counting, as if it knows there is no signal and thus nothing to capture. Nothing is captured when I stop the import. I've tried two different VCRs but couldn't capture from either.

However, if I capture DVD video from my DVD recorder (using a different composite cable to connect the RCA inputs on the front of the ADVC to my DVD recorders' RCA outputs), the capture works (the timer increments), but there is no audio or video displayed in the iMovie preview window. I've read in other threads that there will be no audio because this is apparently not supported as of iMovie 06+, but I've not read anything definite about there being no video preview. So this is my second problem - no preview available - just a blue screen.

I've also tried plugging the yellow RCA video plug into a RCA video - S-Video (7-pin) adapter cable and plugging that into the 7-pin S-Video "Video in" input on the back, but that made no difference to anything. I've tried using a different 4-pin to 6-pin Firewire cable (with the same aforementioned 6-pin to 9-pin adapter) but didn't make any difference either.

My DIP switch settings are 1 = ON (I'm trying to capture PAL VHS video recorded on PAL VCRs and iMovie is set to PAL as well) and the rest are set to OFF.

My Mac is able to detect the ADVC (it appears under "Firewire bus" in the System Profiler when it is powered on).

One last point to make - the only VCRs I have available are the kind which are integrated into the TV unit, i.e. a TV-VCR combi unit. Would using a standalone VCR make a difference?
sfrost2004 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2011, 10:53 PM   #2
ConHos

Problem appears to be ,on reading you description.a problem between the VCR source and ADVC.Are the out puts from the VCR direct off the output of that device or through the T.V.{Which not be actually allowing an output.} Did you try an actual stand alone VCR?
Old 05-15-2011, 09:39 AM   #3
sfrost2004

Thanks for replying. I've since tried a different VHS tape and that DOES import without problems into iMovie - though I still can't see any video in iMovies' capture preview window.

I haven't tried any VHS tapes in standalone VCRs yet because I don't have one anymore.

The output from my TV-VCR combo is a single SCART connector. I'm then connecting a SCART - RCA cable which splits the signal into Left audio, Right audio and Video plugs. Both my TV-VCR combos work this way, so it's the only way I can output the VHS signal at the moment.

I know that the TV-VCR must be outputting a signal because I used the same aforementioned SCART-RCA cable to plug it into the "Camcorder" RCA plugs on the front of my DVD Recorder, and was able to capture the video signal and record it to DVD that way.

The video also appeared on the TV-VCR's screen at the same time as it was recording onto the DVD Recorder. Would this have impaired the signal strength, leading to a lower quality capture?
Old 05-16-2011, 04:23 AM   #4
ConHos

"
My DIP switch settings are 1 = ON (I'm trying to capture PAL VHS video recorded on PAL VCRs and iMovie is set to PAL as well) and the rest are set to OFF. "

Are you dip switches presently set as above quote?

Sw.#6 should be ON for PAL.
Sw.#1 is for OFF for stream sync.{unless you recorded video becomes black&white ,then set to ON}
Try those settings as per manual and see if any difference.
Can you actually record any video.or the problem is only you can't see any "preview" in Imovie?
Old 05-16-2011, 06:49 PM   #5
GrassValley_BH
Demystifier/Analogizer

Lots of possibilities, unfortunately.

1. Not sure about outside of the US, so this may not apply but...
Commercial movie recordings are often protected by Macrovision copy protection. The ADVC will not capture from a Macrovision-protected source.

2. SCART is... interesting, because some signal lines are shared, so how it's wired on the inside matters.
Other users have noted better success with SCART cables that have directional (input/output) switches.
Also, SCART shares signal lines with composite and S-Video. If your device outputs split Y/C (S-Video), you may get only black-and-white video on the Composite connector, as this is receiving only Y, or you may receive no signal at all on the Composite connector.

3. The ADVC must receive a DV Play command to start Analog-to-DV conversion and free-run timecode. Most capture software will not issue this Play command automatically.
Essentially, it's just like what you'd do on a VTR.

Quote:
The video also appeared on the TV-VCR's screen at the same time as it was recording onto the DVD Recorder. Would this have impaired the signal strength, leading to a lower quality capture?
No that isn't of concern, since it's an all-in-one device with output, the signal should be split and properly leveled internally.
GrassValley_BH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2011, 10:12 PM   #6
sfrost2004

Thanks for your responses

1. I'm not trying to copy commercial VHS tapes, most of these are home videos or home recordings of old TV shows.

2. I still can't get a preview to appear in iMovie however. Whilst the counter increments, indicating it is receiving input, there is no sound and the preview screen remains blue. After I click the "Done" button, the video is imported into iMovie with thumbnails and all.
Old 05-19-2011, 02:08 AM   #7
GrassValley_BH
Demystifier/Analogizer

Not having audio preview is normal because iMovie assumes you can hear the audio from the source device, and playing the encoded audio on the computer end would result in an echo. In other applications sometimes you can change a setting to have it play the incoming encoded audio.

As for video, it's possible either there is setting that has it disabled, or iMovie thinks your system is too slow to decode DV in real-time and is therefore not showing you a preview.
GrassValley_BH is offline   Reply With Quote

Go Back   Grass Valley Forums > Converters > ADVC