Grass Valley Forums Facebook   Twitter   YouTube  

Go Back   Grass Valley Forums > Editors > Editing with EDIUS

Old 11-29-2010, 03:02 PM   #1
bigrick

Default HDSpark

My system: Edius 6.01, Windows 7, Intel i7 processor OC 3.2, 12 Mb RAM, 2 X 24" Monitors (one with HDMI input).

My input files are AVCHD 1920 X 1080 i (Sony camera). My final output will be BluRay disc to be viewed on NTSC HD TV.

I color corrected and white balanced on my monitors and the image was perfect on my monitors. I outputted on BluRay and viewed the result on my Plasma TV and the result is far from what I saw on my monitors: the whites are kind of washed out and I get an overexposed picture. So I have to compensate the end result with a second attemp, but I will be doing it blindly because I won't realy see on my monitors what I see on the BluRay and Plasma TV.

So now I am seriously considering buying an HDSpark card to remedy this situation.

Before buying, I want to make sure that the card will cure my problem. I would appreciate feedback as to whether this card will cure the problem I have.

Thanks

Rick
bigrick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2010, 04:49 PM   #2
Khoi Pham

You need to use a calibrated real TV to judge and color corrected your footage, can not depend on a computer monitor for adjust color... they are in different color space so yes the card will help but only if you calibrated your editing TV right.
Khoi Pham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2010, 09:12 PM   #3
Red Union Films
Banned

Hi Rick.

Without a doubt, using a GV output card is going to help your problem. You do not need to go to the expence of a studio monitor or calibarated one for that matter. Just use a TV type monitor that you are happy with, and one that you have whatched a lot of content on. Use Blu-ray or DVD discs of films and material that you know inside out, to guage what your monitor is doing with your chroma and lumar. When you have enough money to spare then look at proper broadcast type monitors, as I guess you are going to want to put your money where your output card should be :)

Hope this helps.

Dave.
Red Union Films is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2010, 09:24 PM   #4
baddgsx

the HDspark is awsome!!! I found a great test pattern in one of the Edius settings menu. The pattern is great. It shows if your clipping brightness , contrast , shows the color charts.
baddgsx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2010, 12:40 AM   #5
bigrick

I presently have 2 monitors:
1. Samsung 24" SyncMaster 245BW
2. ASUS 24 " VW 246H with HDMI, DVI and VGA inputs

Dave, what would you qualify as a proper broadcast type HD monitor? Any examples?

baddgsx, can you give me more details about the test pattern in one of the Edius settings menu. How to use it etc.

Thanks guys, sorry for being so naive in this department.

Rick
Old 11-30-2010, 01:01 AM   #6
Red Union Films
Banned

Rick.

Don't worry about a broadcast monitor, the chances are that you do not need one. Just use a good TV that you are used to the picture of, something that you know what it is supposed to look like. Using commercial Blu-rays and DVD's is a good way for you to guage it's colour etc. Some computer monitors that are designed for TV use would be a good start. But there is no reason for you to spend the Earth on something. Like Chris is saying, the test patterns are going to give you a very good idea of where you stand. Monitor calibration is something that basic TV type monitors don't work so well with. As you do not have the control you need to do proper calibration, so don't worry, Chris's suggestion is all you need. Once you start looking at pro broadcast HD monitors, their setup, and calibration. You could have bought a full on Thunder system.

Hope this helps.

Dave.
Red Union Films is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2010, 04:29 AM   #7
Khoi Pham

You can just right mouse click in the bin and create a color bars, then read this http://spareroommedia.com/video/monitor_setup.html, very easy, all you need to buy is a blue gel filter, once you get it right then you can trust your edit monitor or TV to adjust colors, brightness...
Khoi Pham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2010, 01:55 PM   #8
bigrick

Thank you all. Based on your comments, I think you have successfully convinced me in buying the card.

Phoi, I went to the Web site you mentioned. I noticed that the procedure applies to CRT displays only. I will be using an ASUS HD LCD monitor, so I guess this link is not valid. I found this other Web site (http://www.displaycalibration.com/). Is this procedure valid in your opinion for LCD monitors?

Thanks

Rick
Old 12-02-2010, 06:59 AM   #9
sladevideo

Rick...I think the CRT would apply to LCD televisions as well....but don't quote me on that. The site you posted appears to be for adjusting a computer monitor....not television.
I'm wrestling with this as well. I recently installed a spark....adjusted my LCD TV to what I thought was proper, and proceeded to make a very crappy high contrast DVD based on looking at the television monitor. I used the color bars from Edius to set it up.....but it sounds like baddgsx may have found something more and I'm curious as well if it is something more than color bars.
I'm going to do some more reading and most likely have to post later to try and figure out why my display isn't right....(user error I'm sure!)

Mark
sladevideo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2010, 07:15 AM   #10
shueardm

Not to rain on this parade but. There is a 5 second delay when switching from source monitor to timeline monitor - on Spark with EDIUS 6. Until this is fixed, I can't concur it's a good buy.

Go Back   Grass Valley Forums > Editors > Editing with EDIUS